Modern Bard Songs

blackshirt5

First Post
OK, I'm trying to think of songs to find and put on one CD for when the PCs are in taverns; taverns obviously would attract musicians hoping to make some money.

Now, I don't much care whether or not they include electric guitar and that, but I'm looking for some good songs to put on the CD that seem like they'd fit.

I've already got Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven and Aerosmith's Dream On. Can anybody else suggest some more?

LuYangShih

First Post
I think instrumental music is better for gaming, as singing is very distracting. I would recommend the Conan The Barbarian soundtrack, as well as a few MP3s if you have a player that can use them. If you are certain you want singing, however, I would suggest The Long And Winding Road, Across The Universe, and And I Love Her, all by the Beatles. Anything by them is great, really.

MarauderX

Explorer
I played a bard a little bit ago (before I missed a critical save and he was disintegrated) and I liked to use modern songs with alternate lyrics. I wouldn't do a whole song, but just opening parts that the other players would recognize. For example, "two goat-herding girls go 'round the outside, 'round the outside, 'round the outside."

It sounds like your tastes run more with the soft/old rock era, so you may want to check out some Rush too. There are some good songs by them like 'Trees', 'Xanadu', 'Farewell to Kings', etc. that are very Tolkien-esque.

Tauric

First Post
For mood music before gametime, I often listen to Rush, especially the Fly By Night and Caress of Steel albums. Both contain songs that are fantastic (in D&D sense-FBN even has a song about Rivendell), and can be used as tavern music with no lyric changes at all. I even based an campaign arc off of the Necromancer song on Caress of Steel.

Also, the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is a good bard-ish song, as in Whiskey in a Jar, either Thin Lizzy or Metallica version.

There are some websites out there that have folksong MP3s, and if you can't use that format, you might be able to get ideas for CD's to pick up.

Usurper

First Post
Blind Guardian's "The Bard's Song: In the Forest" off Somewhere Far Beyond is about perfect bard music, eh, obviously. :)

No electric guitars, for the record.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Check out:

Boiled In Lead , especially Songs From The Gypsy.

Enya, of course. She has a few that are not instrumentals that would fit very well. Esp. Marble Halls.

Early Jethro Tull, esp. albums Broadsword and the Beast and Songs from the Wood.

Need to check out Darn Near All The Filk On The Web and browse the various catagories, esp. the Original Fantasy links. Some will have files you could put on the CD, some will have lyrics you could use as handouts.

The big advantage to some filk, esp for the type of CD you want to make, is that it's close to what you would actually hear in a tavern; just a couple instruments, voices that might be pleasent but not the best in the world, etc. You may also find representations of more 'folksy' songs, legends, and teaching songs. bar songs, etc.

Steeleye Span, esp
'Padstow', 'The Fox', 'Two Butchers', 'Thomas the Rhymer', 'Black Jack Davy.', King Henry and more.

Shadowdancer

First Post
In our campaign, we use a lot of Loreena McKennitt and Dead Can Dance for background/tavern music, with some Jethro Tull to balance it out.

"Closer to the Heart" by Rush is a good song for your purposes, as is "Give a Little Bit" by Supertramp.

Led Zep has several good songs for this purpose: "Ramble On," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Immigrant Song," "Battle of Evermore," "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp," "Going to California," "Gallows Pole," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Dancing Days."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases