Self Sufficient Thief Idea, Looking for Opinions/Suggestions

Adamant

Explorer
After an unfortunate incident with my 5th level paladin, where I got 1 shot by a zombified beholder in barovia while the cleric wasn't at the table, I decided I should make a more self sufficient character. My idea was to be extremely hard to find and hit, while having very good perception and saving throws. Once I catch up to the rest of the group in level I will be the primary scout and trap finder/disarmer. The main things I want advice on is whether it's worth waiting that long for dex increases in order to get feats(I'm not concerned with damage output, only surviving), and good warlock utility spells. For cantrips I was thinking Minor Illusion and Prestidigitation/Mage Hand, and for 1st level spells Hex, Protection from Evil and Good, and Unseen Servant. I'm not planning to have attack spells because i'm never going to get any more charisma to hit with. The last thing is whether or not it's worth reducing my wisdom, and therefore perception, to get more constitution. I'm thinking I want as high as possible to find traps better, but I don't know if there are any traps late game that need so much. The other thing is that I don't know how many constitution saves i'll have to make, since I'll mainly be either stealthed and scouting, or hidden and shooting once per turn with a heavy crossbow.

Attachments

• Adventurer's League Rogue Plan.docx
    12.5 KB · Views: 118

briggart

Adventurer
Well, you could get a bit more Con simply rearranging your initial stats. Start with 8 12 15 10 14 13 and put +1 Dex +1 Wis, so with Observant you'll end up 8 12 16 10 16 13 and you won't need to wait until 10th level to get that +1 bonus on Con.

Adamant

Explorer
Well, you could get a bit more Con simply rearranging your initial stats. Start with 8 12 15 10 14 13 and put +1 Dex +1 Wis, so with Observant you'll end up 8 12 16 10 16 13 and you won't need to wait until 10th level to get that +1 bonus on Con.

The reason it's arranged like that is so I don't end up with an odd con after getting resilient in it. I'll have a low con either way, but at least with resilient in it i can still have a chance at making saves. If I don't take resilient in con there really isnt much point in trying to boost it by 1, since it only affects hp and I probably won't be getting attacked much. What I meant was if I should sacrifice a wisdom bonus for a con bonus, for example going 14 wis, 12 con. I'm starting to think it probably isnt worth it, because it only means 1 more hp per level, vs being harder to mc or sneak past. Barovia seems to have a lot of wis saves, as well as a bunch of the usual con/dex to take less damage. I'm more concerned with the order to take my feats and stat increases, and if there are any good warlock spells I missed. Also, mage hand or prestidigitation? Or maybe both and no minor illusion?

Edit: Just realized I don't lose anything by making the stat spread change you suggested, so I will make that change, I think I didnt see it at first because I was too focused on not wasting stat points. Now the question is do I still take Resilient con or do I do something else?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases