DL - Age of Mortals book - ? on magic/magic item drain mechanics

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Alright so say the party has a few +1 items. A ring, 2 armors and 2 weapons.

The ring has 1 *charge* and the weapons/armor have 2 (assuming Im remembering the draining rules correctly)

Now if I start the year in say 32 when caster levels are at -5 and itmes are supposed to have -22 charges then lets say the items are at 0 charges (and thus not working) at the begining of the game. So after a couple of days they would be working again.

How do you handle the constant drain on the items from the spirits though (not to mention the caster wanting to drain items himself to help with -5 caster level)? Should it be one attack on each time a day even though in the novels the dead are everywhere (several hang around Palin constantly draining his stuff).

Also how do you determine drain on the caster and his spells? I mean, while he sleeps he could constatly be under assault and losing spells. in fact by the time he wakes up he could be fully drained. Or if he retains spells how many spirits can attampt to drain the spell as its cast?

Point being: How do you limit it while keeping with the tone but not totally screwing the casters.

Also it mentions a making a concentration check everytime you cast a spell and on a success it's a -1 caster level instead of failure. Is that combined with the years constant drain of does the year's override it? Or what?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
DragonLancer said:
I don't have the Age of Mortals book yet, so can you give me an idea what this item draining thing is?

Around the War of Souls spirits are out ana bout draining magic to give to The One God. Basicly magic doesnt worl half the time if at all and same for magic items

Game mechanics wise depnding on what yea you sttart your campaign all casters are as -# casterlevel. Plus spirits can attack (unseen) and drain spell levels from the mage. or if he gets a spell off they can drain that (requiring a concentraion check).

Basicly everytime you cast a spell its at -# caster level plus you make a concentraion check to see if it goes off anyways.

Now if the spirits are involved (which they are) they can cause you to make fort saves to not lose spell levels and more concentration checks to not lose the spell.

As for items the spirts all drain these wwith a touch. Each magic item has a certian amount of *charges* based on the price. If it goes below I think 50% charges the tiem ceases to work correctly. at 0 it must make a save or be destoryed. Now casters have learned they to can drain items. for every charge the caster drains he increases the spell levl of his spell by +1.

The items recharge 1 *caster leech* per day. And any caused by a spirit are fulyl recharged in a day (i think).

It kind of weird cause as i mentioned there are ALOT of dead people after this magic...

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Thankyou for posting that. Very interesting.

From your initial post I would probably suggest making an attack on the items on a daily basis or perhaps every 12 hours.

Without having the book in front of me (I gotta wait a couple weeks yet) I can't give any better advice.

Jovu

First Post
In the year 32 SC all magic items have 16 points of potential lost, and spellcasters must make Concentration checks to cast and have a -5 level penalty there is no -1 in general. Rings and armor go by value of the items not charges to determine their potential. Quite frankly, low level magic items like basic armor +1, ring of protection +1 and so on just won't work in year 32 SC, and have a good chance of being rendered nonmagical forever. You'll need more powerful items as there is no recharging of this universal drain. I would run the specific undead attacks like regular combats; they don't happen often and should be specific to an adventure.

Last edited:

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
So lets say I let the magic gear take a day or so to recharge thus they are working correctly.

How long do you think it would be before they are sucked dry again by the spirits? A few days maybe? A few hours?

And thanks for clarifying the rules i appreciate it =)

Remove ads