Implied setting elements made concrete

buzz

Adventurer
We often talk about the "implied" setting of D&D, i.e., those assumpitons made by the rules that reflect corresponding assumptions in the game world.

What published settings, if any, actually directly address the various "implied" elements of D&D? Is there a setting that provides an explanation for, say, why the alignment system exists? Or why wizards prepare spells the way they do? Or why there is such a prolific variety of monster species? Or why paladins are all lawful good?

I mean, the PHB does a lot of explaining *how* things work, but not a lot of *why*.

I've been thinking about this as I read through the 3.5e PHB and think about the attempts at world-building that I've made in the past. I'll often come up with various ideas or cool elements that I want to incorporate, and maybe some background on the various standard races... but I don't think I've ever made an attempt to incorporate explanations for why the D&D universe works the way it does.

Ergo, I thought it would be fun to try, and I was trying to think if any published settings had already done it, at least overtly. The only one I can think of is The Diamond Throne from Arcana Unearthed, but we know that Monte was being very purposeful in creating new "implied" setting elements as part of the concept for AU.

Psion

Adventurer
Well, in my homebrew, I have created some fundamental explanations for some of the behaviors of arcane magic, such as why wizard and sorcerer spellcasting is different. (But this also goes alongside explaining some house rules and setting features.)

The fundamental fuel or medium of magic is called the flow. The flow is essentialyl passive, ambient magical energy that flows invisibly over the landcape. Both sorcerers and wizards draw flow energy into their bodies to power their spells. But for spells to be effective, they have to be ordered.

Wizards operate by formulae and logic. The must pattern their spells as they collect the energy. Sorcerers, on the other hand, can pattern flow energy instinctively by reflexes that are only trained with difficulty; they can quickly pattern spell enery as they release it, though. This explains why wizards have to prepare spells while sorcerers have a limited number of spells but can cast them spontaneously.

Voadam

Legend
buzz said:

What published settings, if any, actually directly address the various "implied" elements of D&D? Is there a setting that provides an explanation for, say, why the alignment system exists? Or why wizards prepare spells the way they do? Or why there is such a prolific variety of monster species? Or why paladins are all lawful good?

From what I have read in promos and author comments (I don't own it), the Scarred lands players guide to sorcerers bards and wizards goes in depth on the nature of arcane magic in that world tying it into their titan/god cosmology descriptively.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Psion said:
Well, in my homebrew, I have created some fundamental explanations for some of the behaviors of arcane magic, such as why wizard and sorcerer spellcasting is different.

So if you are approached by an Arcane spell caster and want to know if he's a Sorcerer or Wizard, you ask, "What is your flow like?"

And he says: "Linolium."

:D

I'm (unfortunately) here all week! Try the veal!

ergeheilalt

First Post
In my campaign, I use the concept of energy.

When casting a spell, a wizard or sorcerer directly manipulates the energy around him. This energy, called spell energy by most, is present in all things - from the greatest of dragons to the simplest of door nails. Through training the mind or the body, an arcane spellcaster can call upon the energies needed for any particular spell. The energy called is reliant upon the spell being cast; a fire spell will draw out heat (causing the immediate area around a caster to cool slightly), while a transmutation spell calls on a bit of everything and directs it inward.
Its a little simple, but is easy to explain to anyone foreign to the concept of "mana type" magic.

As for differentiating between wizards and sorcerers, I've stuck
to the D&D guns.

Wizards train their minds to execute a series exercises that get their mind onto a level where they can directly manipulate spell energy. These exercises are very complex and often result in a limited number of spells they can remember on any given day.
A sorcerer on the other hand has to thank his internal make-up giving him an edge. A sorcerer's heritage has left him with some rather bizarre genetic abilities; so, through a series of internal mechanisms, a sorcerer can lower or raise his heart rate, alter the brain waves between beta and alpha states, increase or decrease their metabolism, etc. By making these changes, a sorcerer alters the way his brain functions for a temporary period and can easily manipulate spell energy; however, the body is not a very forgiving creature and as a result a sorcerer can only train his body to do so many tricks.

buzz

Adventurer
ergeheilalt said:
As for differentiating between wizards and sorcerers, I've stuck to the D&D guns.
But what about a rationale for said guns? :) You know, say why wizardry needs to function this way as opposed to, say, a spell point system where casting spells makes you fatigued. Or why it is that sorcerers are born the way they are.

Also, I didin't intend this discussion to be centered wholly on magic. What about paladins? Why have the forces of Law and Good granted this class its abilities? What about druids? Why do they wildshape?

I just keep thinking about taking the basic D&D assumptions and working *backwards* to create a cosmology that explains all of them. E.g., favored classes. Was the first elf a wizard? Did elves invent wizardry? Was a gnome the first being to use the magic of song?

buzz said:

But what about a rationale for said guns? :) You know, say why wizardry needs to function this way as opposed to, say, a spell point system where casting spells makes you fatigued. Or why it is that sorcerers are born the way they are.
What are you trying to find out? Shouldn't you also ask why is there gravity? Does the world need an atmosphere? Magic works the way it does because,.well, it's magic. Granted, the Forgotten Realms has "the weave" which explains why there are dead magic zones and such. But at the character level, how does knowing this affect the game? Yes, two FR wizards can discuss the weave in game but what does this really accomplish?

Psion

Adventurer
jmucchiello said:
What are you trying to find out? Shouldn't you also ask why is there gravity? Does the world need an atmosphere? Magic works the way it does because,.well, it's magic. Granted, the Forgotten Realms has "the weave" which explains why there are dead magic zones and such. But at the character level, how does knowing this affect the game? Yes, two FR wizards can discuss the weave in game but what does this really accomplish?

Granted I personally don't go all that far, but I find that making some rules and assumptions about the way things work and putting them into the background:

1) Adds a certain feel of internal consistency to the game that can assist in immersion, and,
2) Can be the spawning ground for new ideas by working your assumptions to their logical conclusions.

Faraer

Explorer
All the quirks of the original AD&D -- alignment, level limits, classes -- are inseparable from the original World of Greyhawk, as the game and world emerged in concert. Second edition ignored many of these underlying principles while keeping a lot of their eccentric rules.

3E's differences from the original philosophy are so driven by gameist thinking that it would be a perverse entertainment to reflect them into their own custom world, but not a good basis for worldbuilding.

buzz

Adventurer
jmucchiello said:
What are you trying to find out? Shouldn't you also ask why is there gravity?
No, that's not what I'm talking about, really.

Does the world need an atmosphere?
If you don't want all the PCs to asphyxiate, yeah. :)

I'm simply asking if there are settings out there that deal specifically with rationales for the set of assumpitons that constitute the implied setting of D&D.

I'm not all that well-versed in the settings of the various White Wolf games, but it seems like they make a concetrated effort to have the setting elements reflect the mechanics of the game, and vice-versa. I'm definitely *not* saying the is better or worse than D&D, just sort of different. I mean, in V:TM there's a clan (class) called Malkavians that are X, and the setting, iirc, explains why. In D&D there is a class called "paladin" that plays a very specific role... is there a setting that's tried to explain why such a role exists?

Mainly this is an outgrowth of my interest in trying to design a setting that explained the causes for the D&D universe being the way it is. In thinking about this, I decided to ask if there were settings that did this already.

Now, I'm not saying that any of this is *necessary* for playing D&D. I just thought it would be an interesting exercise. Settings provide lavish explanations for their creation, gods, races, and whatnot. Why not explanations for the existence of the various planes, or energy types, or schools of magic, alingments, or classes?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases