Converting Oriental Adventures - Spells (Need Advice)

Melkor

Explorer
I'm going through the Oriental Adventures book with a fine tooth comb to convert it to 3.5. Weapons were a snap, and I have posted up a PDF in another thread. I'm now at the classes section and have gotten a bit baffled.

In doing the conversion, I decided my philosophy would be:

Refer to the 3.5 Player's Handbook for all Feats, Skills, and Spells referred to in the Oriental Adventures book.

Classes:
To update the names or remove any feats, skills, or spells that have had a name change, or have been removed in 3.5.

To leave class features unchanged from the OA book.

To go through all of the spell lists and remove spells that have been taken out in 3.5, and to change the names of any spells that have had a name change in 3.5.

Here's where my questions come in:
Will the spells in the Oriental Adventures book need to be changed based on the 'spirit' of 3.5 ? (I'm talking about the spells that were 'new' to Oriental Adventures and not originally in the Player's Handbook).

How do I go about deciding which of the new spells in the 3.5 PHB (that were not in the 3.0 PHB) fit into the Spell Lists of Oriental Adventures spellcasters ?

I ask because it seems as if the Feats, Skills, and Weapons can all be changed with almost 100% assurance of being 'correct' in 3.5 - but when you start looking at all of the new 3.5 spells, and adding them to the Oriental Adventures class spell lists....you are greying that line of 'balance' and the outcome is quite subjective.

Any thoughts/advice ?

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
If anything, the 3.5 spells are going to be slightly weaker than whatever you find in the OA book. Is there a specific spell or spells that you are concerned about?

Melkor

Explorer
Nothing in particular. I was just wondering if the spells in OA would be greatly affected by any of the 'general' changes in 3.5 spells, or if I could leave them 'as is' without throwing off balance.

The other question was what to do with the new 3.5 spells....should some of them be added to the Shugenja/Shaman spell lists ?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases