Paladin / Warlock Faith conflict query

S

Sunseeker

Don't.

Or whatever that warlock pact is with the forces of goodness.

Or be an Antipaladin.

jgsugden

Legend
There is no conflict. Paladins and clerics ask their Gods for powers, while a Warlock barters for their power. If a lawyer can be religious, a hero can be oth a paladin and a warlock.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
There is no conflict. Paladins and clerics ask their Gods for powers, while a Warlock barters for their power. If a lawyer can be religious, a hero can be oth a paladin and a warlock.

I respectfully disagree. A faithful follower of a deity, who receives powers from said deity, wouldn't then go on the side bartering with a patron for power. Why would they? Their god provides! And why would the deity tolerate their chosen followers consorting with a supernatural being of suspect - if not entirely offensive - nature, motives and ethos? Bah, BAH I say.

Now there *is* an edge case where the deity and patron are allies, or have similar interest. So it IS doable. But it has to be crafted carefully.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I respectfully disagree. A faithful follower of a deity, who receives powers from said deity, wouldn't then go on the side bartering with a patron for power. Why would they? Their god provides! And why would the deity tolerate their chosen followers consorting with a supernatural being of suspect - if not entirely offensive - nature, motives and ethos? Bah, BAH I say.

Now there *is* an edge case where the deity and patron are allies, or have similar interest. So it IS doable. But it has to be crafted carefully.

Obviously their god doesn't provide everything, or there would be nothing to gain from multi-classing into warlock. :p

Besides, just because they grant you spells doesn't mean your patron deity is micromanaging your life. It's not all about you. Maybe the deity is really busy with other worshipers, crusades, jihads, and/or holy wars. ;)

There are many ways it can happen. Just depends on the deity, the character and/or the warlock patron.

I have one character who is a devout paladin of helm, but with 4 levels of Warlock. He believes he is part of a secret order of Helm, and receives visions and abilities from the spirit of the warrior saint who heads the order. Otherwise known as "Marak the Deceiver", his fiendish patron who has been lying to the devout but gullible paladin since day one.

ccs

41st lv DM
Easy.
In my games you can be one or the other, not both. It's an RP thing. No matter how great the rules synergy, you cannot serve two class-fueling entities at the same time. Not even allied ones.
And no, those entities will not grant you both types of power so that you can be both a paladin & a warlock of _____.

Paladin who MCs into Warlock - gives up all paladin abilities & cannot gain further paladin lvs. You can keep your HD/HP, Prof. bonus, proficiencies, feats, & # of attacks though. Very 1e

Warlock trying to MC into Paladin - finds that there are no entities interested in accepting them. Unless they abandon their Warlock patron. Then see above for what details you can keep.
As for the warlock patron that you've just abandoned.... Don't be surprised when you find out you've just signed yourself (& by default the other characters) onto the poop list of some really powerful entity.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
As for the warlock patron that you've just abandoned.... Don't be surprised when you find out you've just signed yourself (& by default the other characters) onto the :):):):) list of some really powerful entity.
Even if the patron was some Great Old One who is so far removed from the world, so inscrutably unconcerned with Oerth's doings that, to it, granting a speck of power to this thing that calls itself a dwarf (what is that, a tiny star?) was as meaningless and unnoticed an action as blinking would be to that dwarf?

I would be surprised.

ccs

41st lv DM
Even if the patron was some Great Old One who is so far removed from the world, so inscrutably unconcerned with Oerth's doings that, to it, granting a speck of power to this thing that calls itself a dwarf (what is that, a tiny star?) was as meaningless and unnoticed an action as blinking would be to that dwarf?

I would be surprised.

Well then you'd be surprised.
And I'd have to write go up some Great Old One entering the world stuff. Sounds like a high lv adventure to me.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Why would there be a conflict?

A god of good won’t like you signing a contract with a fiend, obviously, but why would Correllon care at all if you get magic from your Archfey godmother? Why would the Queen of Air and Darkness care if you have sworn an oath to Sehanine? Also, many Paladins serve and swear oaths to ideals, not specific gods.

Why wouldn’t an Oath of The Crown Paladin of Cormyr join a special order within the Purple Dragons whose leader is an ancient Eladrin Fey Knight sworn to protect the Cormanther Forest from supernatural threats?

Why wouldn’t a Silver Flame Paladin gain power from a Coatl she meets in her adventures?
Hell, I’ve used warlock to represent an Avenger-style “Paladin” before.

And then, consider a fiend, Hexblade, or goo warlock who comes to faith after making their pact. The Pact can’t be undone, or the price of undoing it would be evil to pay (death of an innocent loved one, etc), and they seek redemption and a path to eventually escape their pact without the dire consequences, and seek to fight the agents of their patron.

That’s a good story.

Remove ads