Future Books like VGTM and MTOF?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
A "Guide to Dungeons" could cover a lot of subterranean monsters that haven't necessarily been done yet. Volo's has some of these, but there's enough remaining to make it interesting. A portion of the book could actually focus on unintelligent creatures -- kind of an "ecology of the dungeon" vibe. It could also discuss types of dungeons; a megadungeon under a mountain needs to be approached different perspective than an ancient undisturbed barrow.

It would have plenty of stuff for the DM, notably traps and hazards and weird dungeon phenomena. Plus some more monsters, of course. Sample maps and more random tables might be good. But the biggest thing I would want is a supply of really good puzzles since they are the hardest to come up with. It would be hard to do that in a book players are expected to purchase; you'd want general "puzzle types" with randomized elements. E.g., matching-word puzzles, and a list of 20 word-pairs that work well.

For players, spells and subclasses and feats that are useful for dungeon exploring. This could include some reprints, such as the Gloom Stalker and Monster Slayer rangers and certain spells (I'm not opposed to a few reprints if they are appropriate to the topic -- it helps with "PHB +1" and cuts down on the number of books you need to bring to the game).

Plus, dungeons are one of the most iconic parts of D&D, and they are featured at all levels of game play.

Uncle Trapspringer's Guide to Dungeons is a functional title, but I kind of like Halaster's Home-Improvement Handbook better...

Uncle Trapspringer's Guide to Dungeons is a functional title, but I kind of like Halaster's Home-Improvement Handbook better...

I don't see them using Trapspring for dungeons. I haven't read all the Dragonlance books or played all the modules but so far, and other than Xak Tsaroth, I'm not aware of many dungeons on Krynn, but Krynn has dragons which is why I thought he'd be good for a dragon book.

Just my opinion anyways. Plus I love Dragonlance and want to see more in 5e.

gyor

Legend
A "Guide to Dungeons" could cover a lot of subterranean monsters that haven't necessarily been done yet. Volo's has some of these, but there's enough remaining to make it interesting. A portion of the book could actually focus on unintelligent creatures -- kind of an "ecology of the dungeon" vibe. It could also discuss types of dungeons; a megadungeon under a mountain needs to be approached different perspective than an ancient undisturbed barrow.

It would have plenty of stuff for the DM, notably traps and hazards and weird dungeon phenomena. Plus some more monsters, of course. Sample maps and more random tables might be good. But the biggest thing I would want is a supply of really good puzzles since they are the hardest to come up with. It would be hard to do that in a book players are expected to purchase; you'd want general "puzzle types" with randomized elements. E.g., matching-word puzzles, and a list of 20 word-pairs that work well.

For players, spells and subclasses and feats that are useful for dungeon exploring. This could include some reprints, such as the Gloom Stalker and Monster Slayer rangers and certain spells (I'm not opposed to a few reprints if they are appropriate to the topic -- it helps with "PHB +1" and cuts down on the number of books you need to bring to the game).

Plus, dungeons are one of the most iconic parts of D&D, and they are featured at all levels of game play.

I think MTOF will likeky have more Underdark monsters, because of so many races linked to the Underdark being duscussed.

I like this idea. They can bring back Van Richten's Guide books and expand the Ravenloft setting.

You know who would do good for dragons? Uncle Trapspringer!!
I wonder if they might combine an "undead" book with an "aberration" book. Deal with cults, weird stuff, and some serious horror elements, rather than just an undead book. Seems to me like there's enough overlap between the two that you could really base an entire "here's how you build a scary D&D campaign" into one meaty tome.

Expand concepts like sanity and horror, maybe even tie in the psionic elements since they seem to be leaning towards tying psionics with the Far Realms. Both undead and aberrations have enough of the "things men know not wot of" to work rather nicely together.
Aberrations were covered partially in VGtM. (At least the big two.)

I like the idea they could do a VanRichten book. But going classic horror might work better. Vampires, ghosts lycanthropes, mummies, flesh golems.
That would be beautiful.

gyor

Legend
Aberrations were covered partially in VGtM. (At least the big two.)

I like the idea they could do a VanRichten book. But going classic horror might work better. Vampires, ghosts lycanthropes, mummies, flesh golems.
That would be beautiful.

That could be cool, that would be a great book to reintroduce the Vryloka. They can make it another Elven subrace (kidding about the Elven subrace!!!).

cooperjer

Explorer
If I consider the following: 1. Rise of Tiamat introduced a strong dragon presence; 2. Storm Kings Thunder introduced a strong giant presence, a battle between giants and dragons, and the ring of winter; 3. The ring of winter shows up again in Tomb of Annihilation; 4. There was a lot of positive feedback on the elemental sorcerers from UA, but they didn't feel right with the team; 5. Perkins likes to create elaborate interweaving story lines. Then I'm led to believe a dragon and giant book is in the line up. This book may include some new player features related to each race and will hopefully include the elemental sorcerers that were not put in Xanithar's Guide. It will most likely involve the ring of winter as an important artifact.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd like a manual of important magic items or artifact from each setting with their description, stats and history. Like the dragon orbs, Dragon Lance, the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords (more than what we have in the DMG), sword of Kas, hand/eye of Vecna, rod of Orcus, Moonblades, the last banner of Arkhosia, Blackrazor, Whelm, Wave, Doomguard's weapon of mass destruction etc

I would also add new archetypes, like the Treasure Hunter for Rogue, Scholar mage, Delver ranger and a real Sentient Item patron for Warlock, all based on the relation with magic/legendary items.

gyor

Legend
If I consider the following: 1. Rise of Tiamat introduced a strong dragon presence; 2. Storm Kings Thunder introduced a strong giant presence, a battle between giants and dragons, and the ring of winter; 3. The ring of winter shows up again in Tomb of Annihilation; 4. There was a lot of positive feedback on the elemental sorcerers from UA, but they didn't feel right with the team; 5. Perkins likes to create elaborate interweaving story lines. Then I'm led to believe a dragon and giant book is in the line up. This book may include some new player features related to each race and will hopefully include the elemental sorcerers that were not put in Xanithar's Guide. It will most likely involve the ring of winter as an important artifact.

I didn't know they got positive feedback on the elemental sorcerers. They should have added them to the book and cut back on the endless pages of names.

That could be cool, that would be a great book to reintroduce the Vryloka. They can make it another Elven subrace (kidding about the Elven subrace!!!).

Yeah. Vryloka or dhampire would be cool. Or a chapter expanding rules for playing monsters like vampires, lycanthropes, and the like.
Maybe add some DM advice for horror campaigns and expanded madness & fear rules. Fewer new monsters and more advice on customizing and tweaking monsters. More variant powers to add some scare to existing foes.
That’d actually be a pretty rounded book. Van Richten's Guide to Horrors.

tswarre

First Post
I feel like the dragon book will have a large section on dragon lairs with battle maps just like how Volo's had maps for certain monster dens. If they do this along with variant dragonborn, it would be an instant buy.

Remove ads