Witch Bolt - The Emporer Strikes Back

Gadget

Adventurer
I realize that we all have different play experiences and preferences that affect how we perceive and discuss the game, so it is with some trepidation that I offer some suggestions for improving this perennial 'red' rated spell to make it a viable choice in more than very niche situations. I get the feeling that this spell was inspired by the Star Wars Sith Lightning that Palpatine uses, though I have no way of confirming that. I also get the impression that the spell was put in especially for Warlocks, with the name and vibe it creates, allowing them to start out using it at first level and benefit from the Warlock's free auto scaling, though, once again, I have no confirmation.

The problem is that the spell kinda sucks. It sounds cool, but really, with all the restrictions on it: Concentration, ranged spell attack, uses your action every round, 30' range, etc. it really does not deliver. So what are ways to tweak the spell without overpowering it? Here are a few options, ranging from mild to more radical:

A) Keep the spell as is but with one addition: the target also looses its reactions while suffering the effects of the spell. This gives the spell a little more oomph, though it is debatable if that is enough for most situations. It could come in handy for allowing allies to retreat safely, or as a way to deny Legendary opponents reactions without having to worry about legendary resistance.

B) Keep the spell as is but the caster makes an new ranged spell attack every round against a target of his/her choice. If it is the target was hit last round, the caster has advantage to the attack roll. This option allows re-targeting if the subject dies or another target takes priority, making it a decent mook swatter (at least at low levels). The downside is that it does not scale well, as the attacks beyond the first will not have the extra damage and will eventually be outclassed by cantrips. Also I would be tempted to have misses (outside of the first round) not end the spell.

C) Add to the effects that the target of the spell become grappled (speed reduced to 0) if they are no more than one size category larger than the caster, with the opportunity to use an action and make a strength (athletics) or dex (acrobatics) check against the caster's spell DC to escape the grapple per the grappling rules. This is probably the most radical proposal, as imposing the grappled status effect probably has more balance implications, not to mention makes the spell more complex and 'rulesey' by bringing in the the grappling rules and such. I might be tempted to reduce the damage dice on subsequent rounds because the spell might be to good in some situations. Indeed, with a high enough caster DC (or a target with little facility to escape a grapple) the spell would pretty much lock a target in place for the full duration, barring allied assistance.

Well those are some of the options we came up with, though I'm not completely happy with any of them. Would you use the spell with one of these upgrades? Would it be too good?

P.S. new house rule: the spell incapacitates the target as long as the player of the caster shouts "UNLIMITED POWER!" every round.

I've felt like the spell just needs to have a longer "leash range" than its original range. Like, you still need to be within 30 feet to cast it, but it doesn't break until the target moves out beyond, say, 60 feet. Once breaking the arc is non-trivial, I think it becomes much more versatile.

I'd like for every damage roll to scale, like with good old flaming sphere. But that's kinda insane with a d12 damage die. Maybe extra levels just give +1 damage instead of a whole extra die. On the other hand, I've seen a wizard use those up-front d12s to just obliterate a monster with lightning vulnerability, and that was kind of cool.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Hmm. Briefly thinking about it, mechanically and thematically, perhaps we could drop the damage down to 1D10 and have it increase per round to a maximum of 3D8 (Turn 1 = 1D10, Turn 2 2D10, Turn 3+ = 3D10).

So, the first turn it performs less favourably compared to other damage dealing 1st level spells and becomes decent when sustained, with the cost being the range, the investment of action/focus on single target.

Eh. Or something similar - not sure how casting it at a higher level would benefit it. Hmm..

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I was thinking the exact same thing. Make it so for each round it is sustained, the damage increases. It is a 1st level spell, so up to and remaining at 3d8 (on the third and subsequent rounds) makes sense.

I was also thinking, what if the spell transferred energy in both directions? Make it evocation/necromancy (if it isn't already) and for each round of damage dealt beyond the first, the caster receives half of the damage rolled in temp HP that last the following 24 hours...kinda more "Vampire's Bolt" than "Witch" but I like the flavor, and giving a necromantic low level effect to something besides Chill Touch.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I’d like it if it had a debuff component. Grappled is maybe too strong and finicky, maybe cut speed in half and prevent reactions? Maybe keep the short leash, but require a save or check to move out of range?

Satyrn

First Post
I like option B, with a couple changes. I'd have the attack roll made at advantage if the foe was targeted (not necessarily hit) by the spell the previous round. And I absolutely would remove the idea the spell ends on a miss, even on the first round.

Satyrn

First Post
I’d like it if it had a debuff component . . . Maybe keep the short leash, but require a save or check to move out of range?

And this. This is interesting and flavorful, is situationally useful, and gives it something unique so to counter the problem of cantrips simply being better at higher levels.

epithet

Explorer
Want the spell to be wicked? Change it like this:

The spell doesn't end until the duration expires or the caster loses concentration. While the spell is active, the caster can select a new target or re-target a creature previously targeted using his action. This use of the caster's action does not end the spell. When a target moves out of the range of the spell or is behind total cover, the spell ceases to effect that target but remains active.

The initial damage is 1d12, and the spell does 2d6 damage on the second round it effects a target, 3d6 on the third, etc. The damage scaling resets whenever the caster changes the target of the spell or re-targets a creature that had been previously targeted.

At higher levels, the initial damage increases by 1d12 and the ongoing damage by 1d6 for each caster level above 1st.​

Last edited:

The spell doesn't end until the duration expires or the caster loses concentration. While the spell is active, the caster can select a new target or re-target a creature previously targeted using his action. This use of the caster's action does not end the spell. When a target moves out of the range of the spell or is behind total cover, the spell ceases to effect that target but remains active.
I don't like the spell remaining active for retargeting or the target moving out of range. I feel like it's conceptually important that the spell is a leash which can be broken. The goal should be to get that concept to a place where it doesn't just suck.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases