D&D 1E How similar are the 1E and 2E DMG books?

alienux

Explorer
My DMing experience mostly lies in the 1983 Red Box set, 5E, and some other RPG systems. With AD&D, I played 2E as a player, but not 1E. I know that the 2E PHB has some differences from 1E, but it was largely the same game.

I've heard it said several times that the 1E DMG is a great source of info for DMs regardless of edition. I was going to pick one up, but since I still have a 2E PHB and MM, I thought it might be better just to get the 2E DMG to complete that set.

So my question is, is the 2E DMG vastly different than the 1E DMG, or is it about as similar to the 1E DMG as the 2E PHB is to the 1E PHB?

Nagol

Unimportant
They are quite a bit different in tone and included resources, but there is an awful lot of overlap. Their focus is a bit different. I don't have a copy of my 2e DMG within easy reach unlike my 1e version so it's hard to point to specifics. When I was running 2e back in the late '80s I used my 1e DMG a fair bit. The few pages on herbs, gems, colours, and other such things were always helpful. I preferred 1e method of magic item creation and its take on adventuring in different environments.

They seemed incredibly different at the time. But now there are more points of comparison, the rules and style are pretty identical.
Except the DMGs....

The big differences are tonal. The presentation of rules and information. The prose of the books. And the 1e books are unique in that respect, very clearly being by someone with a large vocabulary but little formal writing experience. Gygax's writing is very distinct, with his tangents and essay-like rebuttals of play styles he dislikes.
The 2e DMG is much more professional and trying to be a book of rules for the DM and advice. It doesn't have nearly the same amount of character as the 1e book. And the advice included isn't as good as the 3e or 5e DMGs. (Or even the 4e DMG2.)

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I'd summarize this way: the 2e DMG does a better job explaining the rules while the 1e DMG does a better job promoting creativity.

Most DM's (this one included) find a lot of value in the 1e DMG appendices. The 5e DMG did a pretty good job of replicating some of that, though it is not as expansive.

alienux

Explorer
I'd summarize this way: the 2e DMG does a better job explaining the rules while the 1e DMG does a better job promoting creativity.

That pretty much nails what I was looking to understand. I think what I'll do is still get the 2E DMG just to complete my long uncompleted core collection of 2E, but still grab the 1E DMG for the creative ideas.

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Zardnaar

Legend
1E one is a disorganised mess that look like it was designed by a few guys in a garage and drawn by their mate down the road. Which is more or less what happened.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I'm unfamiliar with the 2nd Edition DMG so can't comment on the comparison, but as for the 1st Edition DMG, I can't recommend it highly enough. To me, it represents the completion of the game's first full iteration.

Remove ads