Mac Users Identify Yourselves!

Mirth

Explorer
Howdy!

I hardly ever stray over into this forum cuz I'm a Mac user and there never seems to be much here that pertains to me. However, I know there are other Mac users on the boards and I wondered how they used their computers for gaming and whether they'd like to share the wealth of knowledge. So, if you are a Mac user, stop by the thread and say Hi :D

Jay

p.s. This thread is not to be used to slam PC or Mac users. If all you can offer up is negativity and/or platform bias, please take it elsewhere. Thank you.

edit: I decided to move the roll call to this first post to make it easier to find.

Here's a roll call for those that are interested:
greymist (wannabe Machead)
Rackhir
isidorus
blizack
pdkoning
Raevynn
Kage Tenjin
Sun Wukong
fenrat
Enforcer (full-on Machead now!)
weezoh
Nifft
Breakdaddy
niolo
jerichothebard
MetalBard
mikedidthis
Sephiroth no Miko
Zepherus Bane
mythusmage
Thornir Alekeg
ShinHakkaider
LRonKnieval
ayrwind
RCanning
JoeCrow
thud13x
Axegrrl
Starrie
PugioilAudacio
Berandor
Laslo Tremaine
Ferox4
DrSpunj
Raging Epistaxis
SJ
Jeph
Aryoche
maddmic
pezagent
doghead
jhallum
twistnack
Lalato
Eridanis
bkmanis
AslanC
Arravis
caudor
RyanL
buzz
zero skill LPB
RC Hagy
Guru
scholz
DM_Matt
Galastro
Steve Jung
Dimwhit
emergent
Aeolius
Drengy
dvvega
John Crichton
barsoomcore
Femerus the Gnecro
Mirth

67 members! We're just past the two-thirds mark for an official Apple usergroup! :\ :D If you know any other Mac users on the boards, tell 'em to come by the thread and say Hi, offer advice, ask questions, etc.

Last edited:

Yup

I, for one, am quite proud of my Macintosh affiliation. I've got a lovely tiBook that I use for gaming, and it runs everything I need, including everything I have to run through VirtualPC.

It's fabulous.

-F

Mirth

Explorer
Femerus the Gnecro said:
I, for one, am quite proud of my Macintosh affiliation. I've got a lovely tiBook that I use for gaming, and it runs everything I need, including everything I have to run through VirtualPC.

It's fabulous.

-F

Thanks for the reply, Femerus! Specifically, what programs are you running for gaming? I've heard that Crystalball is a good chargen program for Macs, but it was on hold at one point to become compliant with WotC and I'm not sure if it is still active or not. Do you know of any Mac native gaming utilities you can recommend?

Jay

Mirth

Explorer
Aeolius said:
See if you recognize any icons at the bottom of my campaign's home page. :D

Welcome Aeolius!

Heh. Yep, although I must admit that I haven't made the jump to OSX yet, mostly due the fact that I need to put more RAM in my Lime G3/400 iMac. I have 10.2.5 but only 192 megs of RAM and a 10 gig HD, both of which are a little in the small side for OSX to run swimmingly. Much as I am a techhead (been using Macs exclusively since 1985), I'm behind the curve on updating my machine. Hopefully if my new job pans out I'll move on up to a new iBook...

Are you guys interested in forming a Mac/ENWorld subgroup? I think it would be great to combine two of my passions together with people who are obviously like-minded.

Let me know what you think,

Jay

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
Aeolius,

Have you been to the Apple Store in Durham? I'm gonna stop by there the next time I come to visit my Dad and/or my Sister-In-Law, but I wanted to gather info first...

Jay

mirthcard said:
Thanks for the reply, Femerus! Specifically, what programs are you running for gaming? I've heard that Crystalball is a good chargen program for Macs, but it was on hold at one point to become compliant with WotC and I'm not sure if it is still active or not. Do you know of any Mac native gaming utilities you can recommend?

Jay

I have an old version of pcgen (still with the old data sets. woot!) that I use for character generation. I've even figured out how to edit stuff, so when I find a mistake I can fix it. I also use some PC programs through Virtual PC, like campaign cartographer and fractal mapper, etools (occasionally) and Openrpg. Also, the usefulness of Excel for keeping track of campaign information can't be overstressed. It's a very handy program.

-F

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
mirthcard said:

Jay
CrystalBall is a great little program. I use it constantly to generate NPCs and monster stat blocks. Data files are easy to customize and the programmers are responsive to the users.

OS X all the way over here. Except when I'm at work...

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Oh, and CrystalBall did indeed sort out their problems with WotC and they're officially good guys now.

For my campaign notes and writing I use Project Builder, Apple's free development environment tool. It has massive amounts of functionality I never use, but I like being able to organize hundreds of individual text files, search and edit multiple files simultaneously, all that good stuff.

Oh, and I'm running 10.2.5 on a 266 MHz G3 (one of the original beige G3s) with 212 MB RAM and a 6 GB HD -- runs like a champ. I bet your iMac would do just fine.

John Crichton

First Post
I primarily use PCs but I have a 333mhz Powerbook G3 that still runs OS10.2 like a charm which I use mostly for music at the RPG table. I am saving up for either a new Powerbook or maybe a G5 tower, not sure which just yet...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases