Need Vet. or Rabbit help!

DWARF

First Post
I've found a baby wild rabbit. It's about weaning size, like a tennis ball and its head dart is all but gone, but it's ears don't stand up and it only weighs 3oz or 80 grams. Is this too low? Please give me some advice here. I've contacted the rehabilitation society in my area, but if the e-mail address is old I'd like to have something to fall back to.

Thanks!

Last edited:

kengar

First Post
Baby small animals need feeding pretty often and kept warm, that's the main prirority. Anywhere that carries breeding supplies may sell formaula as well.

For information, I would contact a pet store that deals with rabbits and small animals. Also, most vets have some experience with rabbits and can probably offer some general advice. Also, try the local animal shelter for help or information.

Hope this helps.

Ferret

Explorer
Alot of rabbits ears don't stand up. Plus it might be one of those Dwarf Rabbits(No they don't wear mithril plate mail and swing axes round.)

LightPhoenix

First Post
You might also want to hit the library or bookstore and see if you can pick up a book on taking care of rabbits, if you plan to keep him/her. Talking to a vet is definitely a good idea - the rabbit will need shots. Also, a vet could tell you if the rabbit is sick, or even injured or deformed - any of the three, especially the last one, usually results in an animal killing or abandoning its young.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
kengar said:
For information, I would contact a pet store that deals with rabbits and small animals.

No. The vast and overwhelming majority of pet stores are manned by people who have little or no formal training in animal care, armed with information that is a decade out of date. You wouldn't turn to Toys R Us for medical information about your child, so don't go to a pet store on medical information about animals. Call a veterinarian. Call the local wildlife rehab people. Don't call the pet store.

For the record - in the wild baby rabbits nurse for about 15 or 20 minutes per day. The rest of the time, the mother is away from the den, eating. If you sit and watch a baby bunny for 24 hours and don't see the mother, it's not a big deal. The bunny is used to that.

In addition, the mother will not[ come back if you're sitting there watching the den. Rabbits are born prey, and are far better at noticing you than you are at noticing them.

Emiricol

DWARF said:
I've found a baby wild rabbit. It's about weaning size, like a tennis ball and its head dart is all but gone, but it's ears don't stand up and it only weighs 3oz or 80 grams. Is this too low? Please give me some advice here. I've contacted the rehabilitation society in my area, but if the e-mail address is old I'd like to have something to fall back to.

Thanks!

I've given my wife your email addy, DWARF. She is a rabbit expert, and can answer with authority your questions as well as provide suggestions. I hope you don't mind!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases