How much do your trust the advice of others?

snickersnax

Explorer
Specifically, looking down on a greataxe vs. greatsword

I keep looking down at that greataxe vs greatsword, and thinking, but that great sword is 0.5 damage on average more, and then when you take Great Weapon Fighting the difference becomes a whole 1.0 point, and then when you are executing someone who is paralyzed or unconscious or score a critical hit that gets multiplied by 2.

And then I think about how a greataxe weighs more and has a center of mass farther down the handle, and why doesn't it do as much or more damage than a greatsword?

I mean if I was going to chop something I would imagine an ax being better than a sword for the job.

And then I get very distrustful of the rule books and game designers. :)

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
See that's where sacrificing "optimal" for "role-playing reasons" can get out of hand.... that's what I was trying to contrast with a reasonable sacrifice (going from 1d8 to 1d6, taking a "not the best" race for a class etc).

See, I've never had a problem with this either as a player, or as a DM. It's the DM's job to balance the adventure against the party, and that includes characters of this sort. Let the players have fun, and if being a pacifist is fun, go for it. They just can't expect the rest of the party to kowtow to that concept and should expect to be horrified as their comrades cheerfully hack orcs apart.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
See, I've never had a problem with this either as a player, or as a DM. It's the DM's job to balance the adventure against the party, and that includes characters of this sort. Let the players have fun, and if being a pacifist is fun, go for it. They just can't expect the rest of the party to kowtow to that concept and should expect to be horrified as their comrades cheerfully hack orcs apart.

The experience I was referring to was a 3.5 (with a splash of pathfinder) game where the player *refused* to put any defense on her bard. Ok-ish dex, light armor, no con bonus, no defense spell, no defensive item. We didn't have a firm front line, and it was important for PCs to be able to stand on their own but the player just wouldn't make the effort. I will readily admit that she was a*great* buffer, but it would have been trivial for her to go from horribly vulnerable to vulnerable-ish, yet she never did. "Protect the bard!!" was fun for a battle or 4, but eventually it just became a chore.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I walk a middle path and as someone else said make a few suboptimal choices but personally not enough to being ineffectual. I think that sucks as much as cheese.

Options that are too great bother me to be honest. It really annoys me that hexblade is far better as a dip than a solo class, for example.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The experience I was referring to was a 3.5 (with a splash of pathfinder) game where the player *refused* to put any defense on her bard. Ok-ish dex, light armor, no con bonus, no defense spell, no defensive item. We didn't have a firm front line, and it was important for PCs to be able to stand on their own but the player just wouldn't make the effort. I will readily admit that she was a*great* buffer, but it would have been trivial for her to go from horribly vulnerable to vulnerable-ish, yet she never did. "Protect the bard!!" was fun for a battle or 4, but eventually it just became a chore.

I'm a firm believe in people playing whatever the want to play. However, we get to play our characters, too. If a character was that great of a burden, we would likely leave that character in a city at some point. If a character is tolerable, then anything goes.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I once started reading one of those class guides... and my eyes started glazing over. :D

I've found that online message boards are really not representative of me or the people in my gaming group at all. Sure, we like our characters to be effective at what we do—just not to the compulsive extent that I've seen here or on the previous WotC boards. By comparison, we are far more akin to casual players than the more "enthusiastic" types here. And it's not just charop, but the whole "game theory" thing ("disassociative", and whatever other keywords that get thrown around), too. Sure, I think about game design and such (and have done plenty of my own), but some the people get way too ideological and partisan.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm a firm believe in people playing whatever the want to play. However, we get to play our characters, too. If a character was that great of a burden, we would likely leave that character in a city at some point. If a character is tolerable, then anything goes.

Well

I played a dwarven alchemist (that dash of pathfinder), with a Cha of 6. I washed with chlorine and reeked of chemicals. My gf played a dwarven barbarian with a Cha of 5 - she didn't wash at all.

So if the party tolerated *us*...

Initially the bard was someone we rescued and it made sense that the rest of the party was protecting her, and it sort of made sense that this PC needed protecting. But as the levels went on by and the game progressed, the PC never acquired further defensive abilities (besides a d6 HP per level and buying a suit of leather armor)... and the player never bothered learning what her new spells did, so she never used them. :/

Remove ads