High level play book?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
A thread on the Kalamar forums made me think on this...

Is there any good advice on running high level (but not epic) games?

Here's what I said over the Kalamar forums:

I would love to see someone publish a book on how to organize a high level but not epic game.

Levels 11 through 20 are outside the scope of what many of us are used to, but a lot easier to reach in the 3.x days than they were in the 1st and 2nd edition days.

A book that talked about adventure design, keeping it feeling fresh, keeping it consistant, keeping it challenging but not too challenging, and so on would be a great idea.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
I believe TSR put out a book for 2nd like this called High Level Campaign Option or something of the sort. I honestly have no idea if it is any good or help with 3.5.

WizWrm

First Post
pogre said:
I believe TSR put out a book for 2nd like this called High Level Campaign Option or something of the sort. I honestly have no idea if it is any good or help with 3.5.

I believe that was the Epic-Level Handbook for 2e. To the extent of my knowledge, there are no books as you describe.

This thread, entitled "Challenging my high level group," is mostly about Piratecat's campaign, but there are a few tidbits of advice on dealing with issues that may come up in a high-level campaign; they have a diviner in the group so there are a few more than usual.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The D&D Companion & Masters boxed sets had that sort of info, kinda.

D&D went to a much higher level (36) than AD&D generally did, and higher levels were more common.

The main thing is, once the characters get to be high level, it's really the players that decides the adventures. This can be tricky to GM, but if you and the players work together on what they want to do, it can be more rewarding.

pogre

Legend
WizWrm said:
I believe that was the Epic-Level Handbook for 2e. To the extent of my knowledge, there are no books as you describe.

This thread, entitled "Challenging my high level group," is mostly about Piratecat's campaign, but there are a few tidbits of advice on dealing with issues that may come up in a high-level campaign; they have a diviner in the group so there are a few more than usual.

Here is the exact title of the book I was referring to
Dungeon Master’s Option: High Level Campaigns
The word Epic does not appear in the title - it very well could deal with epic issues - as I said I have not read it.

dave_o

Explorer
pogre said:
The word Epic does not appear in the title - it very well could deal with epic issues - as I said I have not read it.

It's got rad cover art, though! :D

ashockney

First Post
dave_o said:

We have had several really great threads going into details on how to run high level campaigns. Some originated by Shark, Maldur, Piratecat, and I think I started one. There are some common pitfalls that occurred in 3rd Edition high level gaming, and a number of these were remedied by the changes made in 3.5ed. A few new challenges have cropped up since then. If someone can find links to these old thread discussions, that woudl be way cool!

ashockney

First Post
dave_o said:

We have had several really great threads going into details on how to run high level campaigns. Some originated by Shark, Maldur, Piratecat, and I think I started one. There are some common pitfalls that occurred in 3rd Edition high level gaming, and a number of these were remedied by the changes made in 3.5ed. A few new challenges have cropped up since then. If someone can find links to these old thread discussions, that woudl be way cool!

If not, just let us know what kinds of questions you're running into, or where you'd like to start, and we can re-create (and possibly update with new 3.5 challenges) some of the high level considerations.

S'mon

Legend
pogre said:

It's for taking 2e characters from levels 21-30 (no further). It's by Skip Williams AIR. It wasn't very good IMO. It does contain the prototypes of many 3e ideas, like Feats, Paragon monsters & such. Unless you're still playing 2e I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Remove ads