Optimization potential: Builds you would play if they weren't so suboptimal

superstition

First Post
It doesn't matter the system.

It also doesn't have to be classes that exist in the literature. It could be a custom class that uses the existing rules frameworks.

The point of this topic is to draw attention to gaps in optimization in the games you like — like a character flavor that can't be built optimally enough. These gaps are places for characters to exist but where they typically don't because it's not optimal enough, mechanically. Even the "I only role-play not roll-play" types have to fit in at tables sometimes, tables where others value optimization.

It could be a flavor issue, too. The mechanics might be there but they turn you off as a player because they're flavored in a way you find not aligned with the sort of character you'd like to play.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
D&D Fighter / Wizard combos.

Basic had the Elf class that did both and was so obviously full of multiple other classes' goodies, that you would want an all-Elf party and buy / retain a good-quality Thief to cover the few things that you could not do.

Phasestar

First Post
D&D Fighter / Wizard combos.

Basic had the Elf class that did both and was so obviously full of multiple other classes' goodies, that you would want an all-Elf party and buy / retain a good-quality Thief to cover the few things that you could not do.

How is this sub-optimal? Fighter/Wizards can be fantastic in 5e and an Elf still makes a great Fighter/Wizard. Try Abjurer / Battlemaster.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A conjuration wizard focused on summoning. There are not enough spells to pull this off anymore.

For a homebrew AP, I want to emulate the 3e Nar Demonbinder prestige class (for specialized NPCs). At the moment, I have to cut-and-paste, then translate, the 3e material.
WotC has (apparently) decided that "summon fiends" is an NPC-only ability, and "summons off-plane allies" is to be downplayed. I can see one potential motivation: my Summoner gets "4 turns" on his turn, and all my friends sit around the table waiting for a quarter-hour while I work them out.

Remove ads