What are you Reading? April 2018 edition

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yeah, it was probably more snark than strictly necessary on my part. I do recall that for a time there was even a release date listed for the Thorn of Emberlain, before it…went away. I guess I’m a little burnt by certain other unfinished book series.

There's also more then a dash of hopeful rationalization in my post - Lies blew me away when I read it and I recommended it left and right, but Red Seas and Republic didn't do it like that for me. They weren't bad, but they also weren't magical. So I keep hoping for the next book to return me to the place of the first, and hearing how this was what he wanted to write in the first place renews my hope. That we'll have a crew that gets built back up, that we can fall in love with their quirks and foibles and spirit like the twins and Bug and Father Chains, and won't be gone to restore status quo at the end of the book.

*sigh*

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
After what felt like an eternity, I've finally finished 'The Republic of Thieves' by Scott Lynch. Although a bit tedious at times, I mostly enjoyed it, actually. I'm pretty sure I'm through with Locke Lamora and the Gentlemen Bastards, though.
Republic of Thieves is a much better read if you just ignore the flashback sequences.

JamesVail

First Post
As research for the next RPG I'm making, in the past 2 weeks I've read "In the Heart of the Sea" "Island of the Lost" "In the Wake of Madness" and currently reading "Whaling Will Never Do For Me" with "Boats of the Glen Carrig" next on my list (obviously the game will be about historical whaling and nautical horror)

Finished Poul Anderson’s Hrolf Kraki’s Saga. It really brought the doom-haunted saga to life. Even telling the tale in a more modern fashion, he still captured the cadence and feel of it.

Now it’s back to the Wheel of Time Read. Winter’s Heart. We’ll see how this one goes. I’m starting to have bits from the books invade my dreams.

Finished my Bigfoot book a bit ago and find myself now in a Reader's Block. Nothing is doing it for me. Looked into another comic book history book but can't get past the intro. Picked up Tommyknockers but read the dedication and now find myself re-reading the first paragraph over and over. I do have some old Harper series novels I have not read but I'm so Eberron minded now I doubt I could appreciate anything Forgotten Realms based.

Thoughts?

Hmmm…if you like Eberron, maybe Max Gladstone’s Craft Sequence (the first book is Three Parts Dead). It’s got somewhat similar magitech-urban environments, and are darn awesome reads.

Finished my Bigfoot book a bit ago and find myself now in a Reader's Block. Nothing is doing it for me. Looked into another comic book history book but can't get past the intro. Picked up Tommyknockers but read the dedication and now find myself re-reading the first paragraph over and over. I do have some old Harper series novels I have not read but I'm so Eberron minded now I doubt I could appreciate anything Forgotten Realms based.

Thoughts?

Went to the bookstore today and found...... nothing on my list. Amazon I'm a comin'.

Did pick up Mark Brake's "The Science of Superheroes" which I have read is good in its own way. Something to hold me over anyway.

Remove ads