D&D 5E Best Wizard and Cleric Subclasses (Level 1 to 10)

ccs

41st lv DM
Well, Im actually trying to do the opposite. Choose a class and then build my charactet around it. You see, I"ve always played Fighter/Barb/Paladin characters, this time I want to roll a Caster.. thats why Im researching for it =)

Ok, so when reading through the spells (& abilities), wich ones strike your fancy? Make a list of those. Then see wich sub-class they fit best in. Play that.

*Don't completely abstain from having a few damage causing spells/cantrips. It always comes down to being able to do some damage....
Even my own extremely low combat-capable 1/2ling warlock can cause some damage (and no, it's not via EB.)

*Consider, to a point, the people you play with & the games you play in. This will help you avoid concepts that won't work well.
For ex; In our PF game one of the guys was rolling up a replacement character. He was drawn to making a crafting/artificer type cleric. There's nothing inherently wrong with this idea. But given the point the characters are at in the campaign & how things are going there just won't be enough down time for him to make decent use of those abilities.

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
Ok, so when reading through the spells (& abilities), wich ones strike your fancy? Make a list of those. Then see wich sub-class they fit best in. Play that.

*Don't completely abstain from having a few damage causing spells/cantrips. It always comes down to being able to do some damage....
Even my own extremely low combat-capable 1/2ling warlock can cause some damage (and no, it's not via EB.)

*Consider, to a point, the people you play with & the games you play in. This will help you avoid concepts that won't work well.
For ex; In our PF game one of the guys was rolling up a replacement character. He was drawn to making a crafting/artificer type cleric. There's nothing inherently wrong with this idea. But given the point the characters are at in the campaign & how things are going there just won't be enough down time for him to make decent use of those abilities.

Hmm.. Thats a good way to approach it I like it. Especially now that I just need to choose between Tempest Cleric and Divination Wizard. I'll definitly take a look at the spell list, feats, possible races, even build guides... to try to really imagine the character "showing up" in my mind, you know?

And for sure Im gonna get a bit of damage tools! I like to smash things a bit =P

Hmm.. Thats a good way to approach it I like it. Especially now that I just need to choose between Tempest Cleric and Divination Wizard. I'll definitly take a look at the spell list, feats, possible races, even build guides... to try to really imagine the character "showing up" in my mind, you know?

And for sure Im gonna get a bit of damage tools! I like to smash things a bit =P

If that is the case, the Tempest Cleric might be more to your liking. The Divination Wizard can blow stuff up but its abilities aren't really geared toward that. That would be more an Evocation Wizard.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Anyone else seen the nature cleric+PAM+Shillagh combo. Perhaps best cleric PHB beat down combo in game with spirit guardians.

Arcana clerics also good at it due to gfb.

Aldarc

Legend
My preference, in general, when it comes to Arcana clerics is to pick up Ritual Master (Wizard) for the vastly expanded utility of wizard spells that supplement the cleric ones. It’s also more thematicc while not feeling, as much, about juking the system.

Anyone else seen the nature cleric+PAM+Shillagh combo. Perhaps best cleric PHB beat down combo in game with spirit guardians.

Meh, You can get Shillagh with Magic Initiate or a single level of druid, then pick a good cleric domain.

IMO wisdom based melee builds are overrated anyway. You still have to put points into str or dex or your AC sucks.

Zardnaar

Legend
Meh, You can get Shillagh with Magic Initiate or a single level of druid, then pick a good cleric domain.

IMO wisdom based melee builds are overrated anyway. You still have to put points into str or dex or your AC sucks.

Magic initiate is another feat, nature cleric vuman can take PAM level 1. You can also wear medium armor and have 14 dex/con and key everything off wisdom. You get an extra attack via PAM using a staff for 1d8+wisdom magic damage level 1.

Its not like that many Tempest cleric spells are actually that good and they are not that good at melee either.

Comparing Nature cleric with Tempest cleric and war which I both think are a bit underwhelming. I lean towards life and light for the PHB power cleric builds.

Remove ads