Any FR experts able to help with setting question?

Malin Genie

First Post
I am about to DM the 'classic' A1-A4 Slavers' campaign, but would like to transplant it to the Forgotten Realms.

I own FRCS but haven't played/DMed much in the Realms, so would really appreciate any advice on where in Faerun to place the modules (my initial thought was possibly the Sword Coast?)

I summarise and paraphrase the background information below. I don't mind changing what is necessary, but would like to remain as true to the spirit of the original mods as possible.

The initial background (given to the players) is that bands of pirates and slavers have for several years been raiding coastal towns, descending on a town and carrying its citizens off into the night. The local rulers have been too preoccupied with their own feuds to mount a serious assault on the slavers, and many of the lords just bribed them to stay away.

Recently the attacks have been becoming more frequent and more vicious, burning whole towns and villages and leaving tracts of land in ashes, with all able-bodied citizens carried off and the rest killed.

The lords have finally decided to rise above their petty conflicts and take action. Through information gained from escaped slaves, the lords have tracked the slaves to a port - a despoiled and degenerate city with a large humanoid population. Mingling in this port city, the characters have obtained information leading them to a ruined temple compound, where the adventure begins.

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
I'm not familiar with the modules you are using, but from the description it sounds like your campaign would fit well in the Lands of Intrigue (Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan).

The large port city where the slaves have been taken could be Calimport. The nearby Calim desert is also full of ancient ruins that could be used for the ruined temple compound where the adventure begins.

Hope I could help. :)

Last edited:

Place it in Luskan (Sword Coast North). It's a pirate city gouverned by an arcane order and pirate leaders that quarrel amongst themselves (the two high captains of Luskan).

It's perfect. (IMHHHHHHHHHHHO)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I have to agree Dark Jezter about the Lands of Intrigue. Tethyr sounds perfect. That land did not have a king until the recently returned king and his helpers lead a revolution to reclaim the nation. It is near the coast near the Nelanther Isles, a place notorious for piracy and slaving. It is right near Calimshan, another place notorious for slaving.

I would place your module in Tethyr. That would be an ideal place.

The only other place that might be a close second is somewhere in the Moonsea area or off the coast of Sembia.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
The Sword Coast would probably fill your needs nicely - but if you don't wan't to use Luskan I'd place Highport off the Sea of Fallen Stars (the "Pirates of the Yellow Sails" could be raiding coastal towns in Sembia, Cormyr, Aglarond and the Vast), and the Aerie of the Slavelords off the Dragon Coast or in Turmish.

other locations include the moonsea, home to the zhentarim and many, many nasty things, and the coast of off chessenta.

chessenta would be nice too; it's near big slaving nation-states, one of whom just invaded and destabilized the other. that means plenty of displaced soldiers in desperate need of coin.

Malin Genie

First Post
Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated.

I now have a good starting point and will delve into the FRCS armed with your suggestions!

JeffB

Legend
Malin Genie said:
Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated.

I now have a good starting point and will delve into the FRCS armed with your suggestions!

If you check out the FR Mailing List Archives, Realms-Guru Eric Boyd gave exact locations to place many of the classic mods (including A1-4) as well as few of the first 3E adventure path modules.

Check out Candlekeep And click on Realms FAQ

Oh Heck here's the text

"How to place A1-4 in the Realms:
Make the Iron Throne a front for the slave lords. Change the humanoids to hobgoblins driven out of Impiltur. Replace Highport with Spandelyion and change the Altumbel peninsula into the Pomarj. Place the actual Slave Lord city, Suderham, in a volcano on the Isle of Earthspur in the center of the Sea of Fallen Stars."

Last edited:

Remove ads