D&D 5E Warforged Fighter into Forge Cleric 5e

Wasp

First Post
Hi everyone

I am looking for suggestions on the optimization of a Warforged who is supposed to start as Fighter and then at some point wants to go into Forge Cleric. The start as Fighter is purely for Roleplaying reasons and he wants to be mainly a Cleric later on.

The party is relatively small so the Warforged would be the "main" melee combattant supported by a wizard and a rogue.

How many levels of fighter would you take - one, two or three? What other stuff should be taken into account?

Cheers

Wasp

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The start as Fighter is purely for Roleplaying reasons and he wants to be mainly a Cleric later on.

How many levels of fighter would you take - one, two or three?
In 3.x/PF? One. No reason to give up more caster levels.

In 5e, you could just play a Cleric and take the Soldier background to cover the 'fighter for RP reasons.' No downside. No MC required.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I think you should go up to Fighter 5 before going into Cleric, Extra Attack is a great ability.

Assuming we are talking about 5e here:

I disagree with this advice. Even though the Forge Cleric is a "Melee" Cleric. Divine Strike does not work with multiple attacks.

I would suggest 3 levels. Go with Eldritch Knight. Pick up Shield, Absorb Elements, Greenflame Blade, and Booming Blade.

The tricky part is figuring out if your warforged can use armor. If so, you can skyrocket your AC via class features. If not, you can take a more generalized approach to being defensive for the party.

Wasp

First Post
Thanks for the advice. Eldritch Knight 3 sounds like fun.

And yes, the warforged would be able to wear armor.

Regarding the fighter for RPG reasons: The plan is that the warforged is awakened by the other chars at the beginning of the first adventure and then "changes"

How would you distribute stats (standard array) for an ek 3/forge cleric x?

CTurbo

Explorer
I think I'd only take 2 levels of Fighter just for Fighting Style, Second Wind, and Action Surge. If you take too many Fighter levels, your Cleric spell progression will be laughably behind. This character will be very tanky but you're not going to be able to(or want to) rely on your weapon for damage.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think I'd only take 2 levels of Fighter just for Fighting Style, Second Wind, and Action Surge. If you take too many Fighter levels, your Cleric spell progression will be laughably behind. This character will be very tanky but you're not going to be able to(or want to) rely on your weapon for damage.

In gebneral this is good advice, but he also said that he will be /primary melee/ for their group.

Without extra attack, he really needs EK for BB and GFB to be able to disk out anything. And it will at least give him +1 spell level for slots as well as the cantrip/1st level Wizard spells known.

I like 5e multiclassing, but my biggest beef with it is that it's a so easy to shoot yourself in the foot. Being well behind on spell levels known and ASIs is a recipe for a character that does nothing well.

Remove ads