What Extraplanar Villain Would You Like to See Detailed?

Throughout D&D history a number of iconic extraplanar villains have reared their heads again and again to terrorize the Material Planes of the Multiverse: Orcus, Demogorgon, Lolth, Asmodeus, etc...

But what about the more obscure archdevils, archfey, demon lords, etc? The ones who are envious of even the likes of Zuggtmoy (don't get me wrong, I love her, but she's a C-list demon lord in terms of appearances, references, and overall impact).

This is a thread for talking about your favorite obscure extraplanar villain that has been mentioned somewhere in D&D history, but needs more love.

My personal number one pick: Shaktari, Queen of the Mariliths!

Shaktari,_Queen_of_Mariliths.jpg

Shaktari was first mentioned in Chris Perkins' adventure "Nemesis", which was featured in Dungeon Magazine #60 (1996). Nemesis saw the party going to Vudra, Shaktari's layer of the Abyss. It appeared as a set of tropical islands ruled by powerful mariliths, set in a sea of blood and venom, and blanketed by a poisonous sky. Yuan-ti and rakshasas also call Vudra home. The Demon Queen of Mariliths did not herself appear, although an animated statue made in Shaktari's image was a dangerous obstacle in the PCs' way.

Shaktari herself was finally given artwork (shown above), a backstory, and statistics in Dragon Magazine's last print issue. According to the article Shaktari was one of the greatest generals in the Blood War between the Hells and the Abyss. However, she was so feared by rival demon lords that they forged an unprecedented alliance with a handful of archdevils to imprison her in the Abyss' Wells of Darkness. Shaktari is now free (the manner in which she escaped is unknown), but she has been weakened during her imprisonment and is currently resting somewhere deep below Vudra's sea.

Shaktari's last mention in an official D&D product (as far as I'm aware) was in 4E's Demonomicon, albeit as simply a listing in a table of known demon lords and Abyssal layers.

Other Obscure Favorites:
Oublivae - Created by Steve Townshend and introduced in 4E's Demonomicon as a demon lord of civilization's end and the helplessness of those mortals who don't know how to survive outside of it. Her layer of the Abyss, the Barrens, is a post-apocalyptic amalgamation of ruined civilizations from throughout the Multiverse.
Koliada - The Winter Witch, first introduced in a 4E adventure. Koliada is an archfey that wants to conquer a portion of the mortal world to offer to the object of her desire, the archfey known as the Prince of Frost. Thing is, Koliada may herself be an aspect of the Prince of Frost!
Hoshotath - The Flaming Sea, a primordial of water and fire so obscure that even the late 4E book "Heroes of the Elemental Chaos" didn't list him. Hoshotath was introduced in the Chaos Scar adventure series as the source of a few unique villains' magic runes. The heroes had to seal the rift to Hoshotath's extraplanar prison while avoiding his massive, grasping hands.
Sagawehn - Introduced in a 4E article on dead gods of the Dawn War pantheon, Sagawehn was a goddess of law who spurned the intelligent races in favor of drawing power from the countless ants and other social insects throughout the mortal world, which she felt better reflected her vision for how all mortal life should be.

I realize that everyone other than my top pick is from 4E, but feel free to mention entities from any edition.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Wendonai. This demon lord turned to the path of corruption and (probably) was first to lead the future-Drow to the worship of Dark Powers. He got about two pages of write-up in 3e Champions of Ruin. What has he been doing with himself for the last 10,000 or so years?

Anthraxus, the Oinodaemon.

Okay, he's not obscure if you've been playing since 1E. But he's basically all but vanished, except for a few scattered mentions, ever since. I want him back, I want him scheming, and I want him to be the equal of Asmodeus and Demogorgon, as he once was.

(And yes, I said "Oinodaemon," not "Oinoloth." I hate that daemons didn't get to ditch "yugoloth" when demons and devils got to ditch "Baatezu" and "Tanar'ri." :p )

Anthraxus, the Oinodaemon.

Okay, he's not obscure if you've been playing since 1E. But he's basically all but vanished, except for a few scattered mentions, ever since. I want him back, I want him scheming, and I want him to be the equal of Asmodeus and Demogorgon, as he once was.

(And yes, I said "Oinodaemon," not "Oinoloth." I hate that daemons didn't get to ditch "yugoloth" when demons and devils got to ditch "Baatezu" and "Tanar'ri." :p )

Anthraxus made an appearance in 4e, but he was described as a Demon there and renamed Phraxas for some reason.

dave2008

Legend
I second Antrhaxus

I also wouldn't mind seeing:

Io
Semuanya
Kas
Arendagrost
The Queen of Air and Darkness
Bjorganal
Hutijin
Amon