What make and Adventurer, an Adventurer?

Mystery Man

First Post
Subject: Dungeons and Dragons

Just why exactly do you play this game?

I have a player ( a couple actually, but one in particular) who pisses and moans every time something bad happens to his character.
He gets hit by a wight and gets a level drain and whines. Never mind that the party has a cleric that can restore them. He gets hit by a spell that blinds him or some other type of damage and you'd think the cieling just fell on him.
How exactly do I make this boob dude realize that these things, especially at high levels (we're playing a high level game) are part of the game. This is not a walk in the park, picking pansies and basket weaving.

High level adventuring is dangerous, this :):):):) is supposed to happen!

So.
What is an adventurer? Why do they put themselves in harms way to right wrongs, find fortune and glory or any of the other things adventurers do?

And no, before you say it, I have no plans of booting this guy, he's an awesome player when he's not crying like a little girl. :)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Have you gamed with him long? He might have had some really bad experiences with stuff happening to his character, and thinks you're out to 'get him'. You might want to sit him down and make him realize that most of the stuff that's going to happen to him has an 'out', but that some things might be permanent.

Bleys

First Post
Question then a comment ;) Is the whining IC or OOC?

If it's OOC, he could just be one of those people who isn't happy unless there's something happening so he can complain *grin*

If it's IC, have NPCs react mockingly or various other things like that... I'd even have a particular smart and/or evil NPC go out of his/her/its way to make sure things happen that'll cause the character to whine.

All in good fun, of course :D

fusangite

First Post
I have had a similar problem. There is no in-game solution. Either kick him out or end the campaign and start anew with new people who aren't whiners.

Mystery Man

First Post
Bleys said:
Question then a comment ;) Is the whining IC or OOC?

If it's OOC, he could just be one of those people who isn't happy unless there's something happening so he can complain *grin*

If it's IC, have NPCs react mockingly or various other things like that... I'd even have a particular smart and/or evil NPC go out of his/her/its way to make sure things happen that'll cause the character to whine.

All in good fun, of course :D

IC. He does not like it when something bad happens to his character. Which in fact make me want to do really really bad things to his character. But I don't of course.

Its all just part of the game, but he seems to get very upset and just doesn't get it.

I'm going to have a little confab with him and if that doesn't work do Joshua's advice until he breaks. :)

Advice on how to tell him he's being a big baby?

Mordane76

First Post
Take him aside and tell him to suck it up, especially if its starting to edge in on everyone's fun. How do your other players feel about it?

Does he realize just how bad it is (well, as least from your POV)? He might not, and explaining it to him in a courteous manner (not like your attacking his style) may bring it to his attention. You just have to be careful not to phrase your counsel as an attack, else it may just get worse.

Mystery Man

First Post
Mordane76 said:
Take him aside and tell him to suck it up, especially if its starting to edge in on everyone's fun. How do your other players feel about it?

So far just about everyone, even his friends. :)

So, the writing is on the wall. He'll need to straighten up and play right, or the rest of my players just may want him booted.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
For every gain there is risk.

Just sit down with the player off line and ask him what he is looking for in the game, what he wants his character to do and become. Get him thinking about more than the character but the world and story you are trying to create. Also, reward for role-playing not for rolling the dice, move away from rewards for killing and move to rewards to overcoming a challenge (I know, you may not but he might not know that).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases