New D&D Miniatures Game

thalmin

Retired game store owner
We received a demo copy of the D&D Miniatures Entry (Starter) Pack. While I haven't studied it in depth, I've read over the rules and checked out the contents.
It contains 16 random figs. This box had 2 commanders (a Cleric of Order and the Half-Orc Fighter), one large figure (Shambling Mound) and 13 assorted Medium and Small figs. The Medium figs are on 25mm round bases, Small on 20mm, Large on 40mm. Also, there are corresponding figure-stat cards. The cards have skirmish stats on one side, D&D stats on the other.
The box also contains a d20, a paper 22"x34" battle grid backprinted with a starting scenario and 4 area-of-effect templates, 8 5"x8" terrain boards, some die-cut markers, the Skirmish Rules booklet, a Skirmish Rules summary sheet, and a figure check-list.
The rules are very similar to D&D combat. All hits points and damage are in multiples of 5. (you don't roll damage, just do 5 or 10 points to the target) Commanders each have a special Commander Effect. For example, if within 6" or line-of-sight with the Half-Orc Fighter, all friendly figures attack at +2. Followers of the Cleric of Order within range take their turn normally if they successfully rally instead of losing their turn. Individual commanders have fewer command options than in Chainmail.
Each figure belongs to one or more factions; LG, CG, LE, CG. The Name, Collector Number, Faction, Cost, and series are printed on the underside of the bases, as well as on the stat cards.

The release date for this, and the expansion (booster) packs is Sept. 26th.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Thanks muchly for the information! Anything else you could tell us would be greatly appreciated. :)

The size of the battlemap is respectable; I hadn't heard of the size of the terrain cards before.

Cheers!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Other figs: Wolf, Goblin Sneak (small), Hell Hound, Kobold Warrior (small), Wood Elf Skirmisher, Ghoul, Orc Warrior, Drow Fighter, Werewolf, Hyena, Zombie, Human Bandit, and Tordek the Dwarf Fighter.
The paint jobs are a bit better than the second wave of Mage Knight, but not as good as the current Wiz-Kids stuff. I DM, and plan on using these for encounters, but would not use one for my PC in an ongoing game. But then I am used to very good paint jobs.
As for the stats, not now.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
The game as written is uses the grid, but if you use figs but no grid for d20 combat, I see no difference here.

Eternalknight

First Post
thalmin said:
Other figs: Wolf, Goblin Sneak (small), Hell Hound, Kobold Warrior (small), Wood Elf Skirmisher, Ghoul, Orc Warrior, Drow Fighter, Werewolf, Hyena, Zombie, Human Bandit, and Tordek the Dwarf Fighter.
The paint jobs are a bit better than the second wave of Mage Knight, but not as good as the current Wiz-Kids stuff. I DM, and plan on using these for encounters, but would not use one for my PC in an ongoing game. But then I am used to very good paint jobs.
As for the stats, not now.
In terms of factions, what was the sorting like? Could you and a friend play straight out of the box?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In an official tournament game, I expect the answer to be: "You must use a battlemat."

The main reason for using a battlemat (rules-based) would seem to be flanking - if you can overcome that obstacle, things should be fine for casual games.

I rather doubt that the mass combat rules (in the MHb) will require a battlemat. ;)

Cheers!

Green Knight

First Post
That's what I'd like to know. I'm still anxious to see their Mass Combat rules and how that'll work out. Especially when it comes to stuff like cavalry and the like (What can I say? I'm a big fan of cavalry).

thalmin

Retired game store owner
2 LG (Cleric of Order, Tordek)
1 CG (Wood Elf)
4 LE (Kobold, Hell Hound, Goblin, Half-Orc)
1 LE/CE (Zombie)
2 any (Wolf, Shambling Mound)
6 CE (the rest)

The out-of-the-box starting scenario says to ignore factions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases