Looking for scenarios/campaign with little combat (to play with kids) any system

haqattaqq

Villager
I’m looking for scenarios/campaign with little combat (to play with kids aged 11/12) for any system. I’ve played the traditional kinda of rpgs where they’re quite combat heavy and thats great for adults/teens but my kids aren’t very interested in combat.

So i’m looking for recommendations - i’m thinking solving mysteries or something. I know that there are lots of rule systems of games for kids but I haven’t seen many actual fully flushed out scenarios. Even the main rules books for some pretty big named ones just have some story ideas, not full on scenarios.

My kids love playing the old school fighting fantasy books which are mostly making decisions and very little time on combat. The only rpg scenarios that I’ve played that don’t have much focus on combat are trail of cthuhlu adventures and while they’re awesome they’re way to dark for the kids.

Thanks!

I'd recommend ryuutama. Its a japanese rpg that focuses on exploration. It has a limited combat system, like a computer jrpg, but it's mostly about journeying to other places, trying not to get lost, and preparing for bad weather.

hawkeyefan

Legend
No Thank You, Evil! from Monte Cook games might be a good idea. It’s meant to be played with kids, has rules that are simple yet compelling, so kids of all ages will enjoy them.

pemerton

Legend
My kids love playing the old school fighting fantasy books which are mostly making decisions and very little time on combat. The only rpg scenarios that I’ve played that don’t have much focus on combat are trail of cthuhlu adventures and while they’re awesome they’re way to dark for the kids.
My first thought was anything CoC - but you flag the age-appropriateness issue.

Tomb of Horrors is a D&D classic that is much more decision-making than combat, though personally I think it's very frustrating. White Plume Mountain and Castle Amber both have more combat, but also a lot of decisions and are a bit more "funhouse" than ToH.

A nice scenario but probably hard to find is in the HeroWars Narrator's Guide (Robin Laws, around 2001) called The Demon in the Red Grove - it's an exorcism scenario, but not as grim as CoC-type stuff.

Arilyn

Hero
It's really hard to find campaign scenarios for what you are after. Bubblegumshoe sounds ideal since your players like mysteries, but I think you'd have to create your own adventures.

haqattaqq

Villager
I had a look at bubblegumshoe and it comes with one adventure. Maybe i'll try that or the supplement for "no thanks evil" as that also has a fully fledged scenario.

I'll also check out the other suggestions from this thread.

Thanks for the advice!

My suggestion was "Magissa" and "Cazaduendes" (Sprite-hunter) but they are in Spanish language published by "Nosolorol" and they haven't translated to English language.

About stories, you could used characters based in famous cartoons, comics or videogames, and from popular folklore fairy tales (why not prince Valiant?). One of my ideas is about a silver dragon who has just finished becoming independence and he has chosen to become the protective patron of a tribe of kobolds to teach them to behave like more civilized people, or "the little emperor", a child-like fay lord who lives alone in his fabulous castle with his magic toys, he isn't evil, but unpoly and he wants everybody obeyed his will and order (only he has to learn social skills and the difference among a true leader and a toxic boss). Why not adding "little pranks"? For example a old lady asks helps to by be healed and she needs a special magic golden apples. She isn't sick really, but she wants the magic apples to recover her youth. Why not to create a lighter and softer version of "Changeling: the dreaming"?

KenNYC

Explorer
I am not sure about the player count, but google "Jacob's Well D&D" . It's a mystery "Alien" type adventure. I think just one combat in the entire thing. I found it fun and you can convert it to 5e easily enough. It was in Dragon Magazine.

aramis erak

Legend
My Little Pony - Tails of Equestria is pretty good. While combat is allowed (scuffles rules), it results in unconsciousness and hurt feelings, not dead guys. The published adventures are also very well set up for running straight from the books.

Remove ads