Archdevil Moloch (Mordenkainen's tome of foes preview from Dragon+)

Moloch was shown off in that new Dragon+ So here I am sharing him.

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_Moloch.pdf

3jiU0OL.jpg
48hc1qD.jpg

It is a tad weak. A level 12 party will not have many problems dealing with him. Heck, a level 12 paladin could take it with ease. It's hit points are negligible, and its resistances won't make up, as they are very easy to circumvent

Over on the Dragon+ thread, they've shown how he can be a nightmare, mainly due to that legendary action teleport...

His regen is also quite strong. Also I checked how well a Level 20 Paladin would do. He gets his ass kicked. The Pally was granted a +3 Greatsword and everything and some fire resist along with high stats. Molochs large array of control abilities made it too hard to keep up. And his regen means that if he is getting too hurt he has no reason to stay and fight up close until he has healed.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
It is a tad weak. A level 12 party will not have many problems dealing with him. Heck, a level 12 paladin could take it with ease. It's hit points are negligible, and its resistances won't make up, as they are very easy to circumvent

Dude, he can teleport 120' 4x a round if he wants. You are missing a lot of the tactical options he has. He is a classic skirmisher. Attack, separate, withdraw, regenerate, teleport, range attack, etc., etc. He may not look like much, but in the hands of a crafty DM he is deadly. To be clear, I am not a very crafty DM, so his greatness would be mostly lost on me!

For a crafty DM's approach, check out @Lancelot's comment in this issue's Dragon+ thread: post #8 and post #12

gyor

Legend
I'll point out that Moloch doesn't have to be a simple combat monster, he has Alter Self at will which can also allow his size to medium. He could use the spell to infiltrate the party and make mischief, manipulate him into attacking Glasya or her servants.

He can also cast animate undead at will which means I can see him dwelling in graveyards and battlefields with a great many dead bodies.

He also has major image at will, so he can toss illusions at the party to trick them.

Remember the Moloch is an Archdevil, a master manipulator who while a great combat threat, would much gather use the party then fight them to the death as much fun as that would be for him.

Also he makes an interesting Warlock Patron, selling him your soul does NOTHING FOR HIM, he's exiled from Hell, so he can't collect.

But he's interested in gold, intel, services, dead bodies for animate dead, and in supporting the enemies of Glaysa.

Moloch makes a ironic and perfect Patron for a Fiend Pact Warlock who wants the power to fight the forces of Hell on behalf of good, and because of his Alter Self spell power, he can appear as say an Aasimar when offering his support in fighting the evil forces of Glasya.

gyor

Legend
I'll also note the reference to the Eidilon which is also in this book, basically living idols, of gods, Archfiends like Moloch, perhaps other cosmic beings.

I hope they use Eidilons in more interesting ways.

I'll also note that Moloch is the same CR as the Solar, but the Empyrean is more powerful then he is. I wonder if this means Empyreans are effectly Celestial Paragons.

I appreciate the nod to the 1E PHB art.

If I'm not mistaken, that is the 1e art.

I also like how they are again reconciling disparate things from previous editions to make a coherent story. Moloch was mentioned in a couple of 3e products as being nothing more than an imp; here, they take that and make it so that, yes, that's true, but he's also able to appear in his normal, powerful form.

Remove ads