If Gibberlings don't make it into Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, I'll be mildly upset!

What should I do if Gibberlings are not included in the new book?

• Write a letter and complain to the company.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Rant-and-rave on a 3rd party web forum.

• Tweet an angry tweet!

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Make a YouTube video yelling at Mike Mearls and demand Gibberlings!

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Blame the Drow.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Make a homebrew 5e equivalent.

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Browse the DMs Guild for one.

• Retreat to the wild, dig a deep hole, and become the Gibberling.

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Nothing, do absolutely nothing.

Votes: 11 17.2%

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I really hope they are not included in the Mordenkainen's and you make a rage-rant YouTube video at Mike Mearles that quickly degrades into a mad man's stuttering.

the Jester

Legend
One of my favorite hoard creatures is the Gibberling. They're gray, sickly looking, smell terrible, are covered in a thick black coat of hair, hate any type of bright light, even torches, sound like rambling madmen, and attack in groups.

Gibberlings are awesome. Slit, are you familiar with the 2e module the Gates of Firestorm Peak? It expanded the lore on gibberlings tremendously, including revealing where they come from and how they propagate.

This is a Gibbering Mouther, 1 letter away from Gibberling. Close, but not quite there.

Not to be that guy, but that's actually a gibbering orb, from the 3e Epic Level Handbook (and the 4e MM).

Nate Hammer1

First Post
Your poll doesn't allow picking more than one choice...Epic Fail.....

I choose....

Write a letter and complain to the company
Rant-and-rave on a 3rd party web forum
Tweet an angry tweet!
Make a YouTube video yelling at Mike Mearls and demand Gibberlings!
Make a homebrew 5e equivalent
Browse the DMs Guild for one.

If you're going to go off. Do it BIG..

Slit518

Adventurer
Gibberlings are awesome. Slit, are you familiar with the 2e module the Gates of Firestorm Peak? It expanded the lore on gibberlings tremendously, including revealing where they come from and how they propagate.

No, I am not familiar with that module, or any really. 99.9% of the D&D I have played is homebrew.

If you don't mind spoiling it for me, where do the Gibberlings come from?

They don't propagate like normal creatures? You can spoil that for me as well if you wish.

Not to be that guy, but that's actually a gibbering orb, from the 3e Epic Level Handbook (and the 4e MM).

Ah, I didn't know that as I haven't seen the 3e Epic Level Handbook, and I never bothered to play 4e. To me, it looked so similar to a Gibbering Mouther I just assumed it was an updated version. I guess that is what I get for assuming, lol

the Jester

Legend
No, I am not familiar with that module, or any really. 99.9% of the D&D I have played is homebrew.

If you don't mind spoiling it for me, where do the Gibberlings come from?

They don't propagate like normal creatures? You can spoil that for me as well if you wish.

[sblock]So 2e is where the first references to the Far Realm came in, and that's the basic origin. But the horror is how they are born. A very few are brood gibberlings. Under their skin, you can see little things crawling around. And they can spit these things, called gibberslugs, at other creatures.

If a gibberslug gets on you, it burrows into you and, if I remember right, eventually puts you into a stupor. I want to say it took like 1d4 rounds. You fall into a comatose state while the slug reshapes you from within, until a gibberling bursts out of you, killing your old form.[/sblock]

There's more, and the horror flavor in Gates of Firestorm Peak is amazing. It's probably the very best 2e module other than Return to the Tomb of Horrors, in my opinion. I strongly recommend it, if you can turn up a copy.

Ah, I didn't know that as I haven't seen the 3e Epic Level Handbook, and I never bothered to play 4e. To me, it looked so similar to a Gibbering Mouther I just assumed it was an updated version. I guess that is what I get for assuming, lol

Get this- the gibbering orb is hypothesized to be related to both gibbering mouthers and beholders. I'm sure you can imagine what its powers are like.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not only do I want you to make a YouTube video ranting about this topic if they don't make it into the book, but I really very much want you to make such a YouTube video while wearing a Gibberling costume. Preferably a mediocre sketchy costume, at that. And I'd prefer if at least some of your rant is incoherent. Like a proper gibberling.

Last edited:

Remove ads