Two Weapon Fighting with Magic Items?

KatyKat21

First Post
So, I read the part about two weapon fighting in the PHB on page 195. It reads the following:

"When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative."

I am making a 5th level NPC rogue for my campaign, and I want him to have two Daggers of Venom. My question is will I still get the +1 to the damage on the second modifier if I use the stated rules above.

Antharias

First Post
Okay, if you have proficiency, you will add your proficiency bonus and ability modifier to the second roll to hit. You will add the +1 to the damage and roll to hit because it is a magical bonus. The fighting styles of both the Fighter and Ranger allow you to add your damage modifier to the offhand weapon when you hit with both weapons and have taken the Two Weapon Fighting Fighting Style. You will not be allowed to add your damage modifier (Strength/Dexterity) to your offhand damage. As a Rogue it will not matter as you get the sneak attack damage and you will want to place yourself behind the combatant. You will be able to disengage as a free action with Cunning Action and easily move into a position to do a sneak attack. As the daggers are magical at this point, you will not really need to worry too much about monsters having too much resistance to the damage reduction of normal weapons.

Fighting Styles

"Two-Weapon Fighting - When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack"

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
The fighting styles of both the Fighter and Ranger allow you to add your damage modifier to the offhand weapon when you hit with both weapons and have taken the Two Weapon Fighting Fighting Style. You will not be allowed to add your damage modifier (Strength/Dexterity) to your offhand damage.
Maybe an edit issue, but something is off here.

Everyone gets ability to main hand damage.

In order to get ability to off hand damage you must get the fighting style (ignoring cases like Crossbow Expert).

Thus the statement "when you hit with both weapons" is wrong.

If you have the fighting style, you get to add ability to your off hand bonus action attack. Otherwise you don't. Whether you hit or not with your main hand has no bearing on what damage the off hand does.

Cheers

As a Rogue it will not matter as you get the sneak attack damage and you will want to place yourself behind the combatant. You will be able to disengage as a free action with Cunning Action and easily move into a position to do a sneak attack.

Cunning Action is a bonus action in 5e - so the Rogue would need to choose between the off-hand attack OR the Cunning Action. Can't get both in one round.

neogod22

Explorer
Okay, if you have proficiency, you will add your proficiency bonus and ability modifier to the second roll to hit. You will add the +1 to the damage and roll to hit because it is a magical bonus. The fighting styles of both the Fighter and Ranger allow you to add your damage modifier to the offhand weapon when you hit with both weapons and have taken the Two Weapon Fighting Fighting Style. You will not be allowed to add your damage modifier (Strength/Dexterity) to your offhand damage. As a Rogue it will not matter as you get the sneak attack damage and you will want to place yourself behind the combatant. You will be able to disengage as a free action with Cunning Action and easily move into a position to do a sneak attack. As the daggers are magical at this point, you will not really need to worry too much about monsters having too much resistance to the damage reduction of normal weapons.

Fighting Styles

"Two-Weapon Fighting - When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack"
Cunning Action is a bonus action, not a free action.

Remove ads