How does Erase work?

Shaele

First Post
We ran into a problem adjudicating the Erase spell in our campaign.

The party encountered a touch-activated glyph on a door that discharged, reset, discharged, reset... the wizard decided to use his Erase spell and ran up to the glyph.... then we fell into a confused mess trying to figure out how the spell works.

1/ The Erase spell has a range of Close, but under the description it states that you have to touch a magical writing to erase it. Does that mean that the wizard has to touch the glyph? (I checked 1e through to 3.5e, and all have the same stats, so no precident there).

2/ Assuming that he does need to touch the glyph to erase it, does it discharge? (remember that the glyph in question activates whenever anyone touches the door).

3/ If this is true as well... what use is the Erase spell? We ended up safely Dispelling it instead from a distance, but I'd like to figure out once and for all the Close/Touch confusion.

Thanks
Shaele

kreynolds

First Post
Shaele said:
1/ The Erase spell has a range of Close, but under the description it states that you have to touch a magical writing to erase it. Does that mean that the wizard has to touch the glyph? (I checked 1e through to 3.5e, and all have the same stats, so no precident there).

For 100% guaranteed erasure of even nonmagical writing, you simply have to touch it, and nobody can be holding it either. If you don't touch nonmagical writing, or if you do touch it but its being held by someone else, you only have a 90% chance of erasing the writing.

Magical writing must be touched (per the spell description).

Shaele said:
2/ Assuming that he does need to touch the glyph to erase it, does it discharge?

Not if he makes his caster level check (per the spell description).

Shaele

First Post
kreynolds said:
2/ Assuming that he does need to touch the glyph to erase it, does it discharge? (remember that the glyph in question activates whenever anyone touches the door).

Not if he makes his caster level check (per the spell description).

Hmm, I wasn't sure about this part. The wording reads:

(3.5 SRD) If you fail to erase explosive runes, a glyph of warding,
or a sepia snake sigil, you accidentally activate that
writing instead.

I took that to mean that if you failed your caster level check, then the
glyph would explode - regardless of whether or not it would normally explode when touched. (e.g. a glyph is set to activate when a drow touches it. The human wizard can pass freely, but if he fails to Erase it properly, he activates it instead).

One of those sections that's a little vague. I think I think I like your interpretation better than mine :D

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Shaele

kreynolds

First Post
Shaele said:
I took that to mean that if you failed your caster level check, then the glyph would explode - regardless of whether or not it would normally explode when touched. (e.g. a glyph is set to activate when a drow touches it. The human wizard can pass freely, but if he fails to Erase it properly, he activates it instead).

If a glyph only activates when a specific set of conditions are met, such as a drow touching it, then erase won't do a thing but erase the glyph, regardless of whether or not its successful. Erase doesn't change glyph spells. It merely erases them.

Shaele said:
One of those sections that's a little vague.

Not really. The designers probably just assumed that the erase spell would be used to bypass glyphs and such that are a threat to the spellcaster.

Magic Slim

First Post
If you know that a certain glyph affects only humans (for example), could you use Alter Self to change into an elf and pass it safely?

Slim

kreynolds

First Post
Magic Slim said:
If you know that a certain glyph affects only humans (for example), could you use Alter Self to change into an elf and pass it safely?

Does alter self change your type and/or subtype? If it does, then I suppose that would work.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
kreynolds said:
Does alter self change your type and/or subtype? If it does, then I suppose that would work.
From SRD Alter Self
Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form
You would have to use Polymorph which does change your type (in non-house ruled 3.5).

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Magic Slim said:
That depends on exactly how the glyph is set. In most cases it will probably specify type and subtype, which means Camarath is correct. Even if you use alter self, your type is still Humanoid(Human), so the glyph will trigger.

However, at the caster's option, the glyph could instead be triggered by physical appearance. That would mean it is dangerous to an ex-human Mnk20, or a doppelganger in human form, but can be fooled by alter self.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Glyph of Warding can also be set to trigger if a password is not spoken or (my favorite) "to pass those of your religion".

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Of course, but shape-change spells don't help with religion or passwords.

Come to think of it though, some other defensive spells might cause problems. If a glyph is only safe for Good characters, what happens if a paladin passes through while wearing a Cloak of Obscuring Alignment? If it's set to pass only worshippers of Pelor, does Jozan get blasted if he has mind blank running?

Remove ads