Allow Me to Dredge Up a Name You Probably Haven't Heard for Some Time...

Agone.
626.jpg

Who here has heard of it?

Have you played it?

If not, why?

I've GMed 2 campaigns so far. The second one is still going. We've met weekly for a year now.
I've even taken the time to translate several of the books from the original French line for use in my campaign.

If you haven't heard of this game:

Agone is a game of Epic Heroism in the world of the Twilight Realms. The setting is a baroque fantasy world, where beauty and creativity once made it an unearthly paradise, but those times have slowly faded from memory after a great cataclysm known as the Eclipse. Ever since, a secret enemy from time immemorial, the Masque, has creeped across the world, twisting it to his own unsavory design. He corrupts the beauty of the world in an attempt to make it conform to his view of "perfection."

The Players have been gifted with an ancient and rare power, called the Flame, in which is held the secret to great magical power, derived from the arts themselves: Vista, the magic art of painting and drawing, which bends nature to the Inspired's will; Tune, which beguiles and comforts the minds of mortals; Shape, which alters the very nature of form and matter; and Scansion, poetry which gives dominion over tame itself. And then there is the practice of Ascendancy, an ancient and esoteric magic that utilizes the powers of the Dancers, mysterious demure creatures whose magic sparks can be used to produce astounding effects. These and many other magics will be at the inspired's command as they struggle to not only to save the Dullen (those who have no Flame), but also to protect their Flames from the cloying perfidy of the Master of Dramas.

Walk carefully Inspired, and may the light of your Flame not blind you...

Why? bad reviews and limited interest in more "epic fantasy" that isn't.

:hmm: bad reviews?

Conan McKegg of RPG.net: 5/5 Excelent
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_5848.phtml

Andreas Monien of RPG.net: 5/5 Excelent
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_4261.phtml

Geek word of mouth, Highly positive:
http://geekwordofmouth.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-i-love-agone-rpg.html

Rhiannon D from RPGGeek, very positive:
https://rpggeek.com/thread/849127/epic-fantasy-poise

and those are just the first couple reviews I can find.

Also, don't judge it by its monicker as an "epic fantasy" game, there is a lot to love about it. It doesn't just fall down the trap of being another copy paste of DND fantasy worlds with stereotypical Elves, Halflings, goblins, or orks. In fact, none of those exist. There are, however, 12 playable races, 3 being completely unique to the setting, and even those that are pre-existent are given a huge cultural makeover.

The world, once you scratch past the surface, is extremely detailed, and has a very strong awareness of its themes and history.

The "epic" nature is derived from its use of Corruption, and the existential danger that the Masque represents. The players may be powerful enough to kill their enemies, but often this is a path that puts them in the hands of evil. The stakes are high, and the danger is real. Not a simple "oh the villain plans to destroy the world" danger, but the kind that lingers and can be seen around every corner. The mechanics of corruption are geared towards enforcing this theme, as both kinds represent the inevitable fall of the player, weakening his abilities, and tempting him with macabre powers.

There is much to do with Agone that you really only get when you read it, and examine the world. I assure you, its anything but another "epic fantasy RPG" there is plenty to love and take interest in.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Never head of it, but always willing to try new systems. But it seems like this system begs for a campaign, not a one shot (to fully experience the corruption mechanic). That's what make it unlikely for me to play, unfortunately. I just don't have the time to make a commitment to another campaign. Most of my non-DnD 5e TTRPGs played are those that are amendable to one shots: Paranoia, InSPECTREs, etc.

aramis erak

Legend
:hmm: bad reviews?

[snip]
and those are just the first couple reviews I can find.

And those reviews are utterly irrelevant to my point; they weren't the ones I saw before making my mind up not to bother. I saw several reviews that were not good. I'm not going to go digging for them years later.

Your reaction also is off-putting. Don't ask what you can't handle answers for. It makes you seem like a shill.

Don't ask what you can't handle answers for. It makes you seem like a shill.
bad reviews and limited interest in more "epic fantasy" that isn't.

I can totally handle answers... you just didn't give me one... you entirely negated the point of a discussion by dismissing the premise out of hand, without any meaningful explanation... If you weren't even willing to look into it, beyond proclaiming your disinterest, why post anything here in the first place?

aramis erak

Legend
I can totally handle answers... you just didn't give me one... you entirely negated the point of a discussion by dismissing the premise out of hand, without any meaningful explanation... If you weren't even willing to look into it, beyond proclaiming your disinterest, why post anything here in the first place?

You asked if anyone remembered it. And if they had played it. "And if not, why?"

I answered the questions you asked.

You asked if anyone remembered it. And if they had played it. "And if not, why?"

I answered the questions you asked.

Ok. Look. I don't want to continue this pointless diversion any longer, but I will end with this: My point was that a forum thread like this is for genuine discussion, meaning if you dislike something on principle and just plan to say so, and not care at all to have an actual discussion, don't do it. It's like going into a DND thread and saying:

"I don't like DND. I don't play it. It's too generic."

Your post had no conversational value, and when I tried to give it some, by suggesting you take another look at it, you took offence. I'm sorry I offended you, but if all you want to do is derail this thread by voicing your dislike of this game and disregard any attempt at persuasion, then please stop, its silly and pointless, and will go nowhere. You clearly have no interest or intent to look into it, and, from how you act, likely never will. That's fine, but if you don't have any intent of genuinely discussing this game beyond "I wont check it out on principle" then please stop posting.

Remove ads