"Stranger Things" RPG

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dark Places & Demogorgons. OK, not quite a Stranger Things RPG but the inspiration is pretty on-the-nose. I'm tempted to pick it up. Anyone got this yet? What's it like? Apparently it's been around for few months now.

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/218...GORGONS--Survive-This--Core-Rule-Book-OSR-RPG

I love the cover. A mix of old D&D fonts and references to the Stranger Things TV show. I'm

218573.jpg

Last edited:

Havent seen it, but if i wanted to run stranger things, id definitely run it with Tales from the loop. Awesome system and is basically written for the genre.

G

Guest 6801328

It's too bad they didn't/couldn't arrange licensing with Netflix. That would have made it a smash hit.

Fireball
3rd Level Evocation
Make a spell attack roll against DC 14. On a success you win the game.

CapnZapp

Legend
It's too bad they didn't/couldn't arrange licensing with Netflix. That would have made it a smash hit.
I think the difference between Netflix, a behemoth of Hollywood, and Free League, a barely-out-of-their-parents-basement semi-hobby operation with few (if any) paid employees is staggering...

G

Guest 6801328

I think the difference between Netflix, a behemoth of Hollywood, and Free League, a barely-out-of-their-parents-basement semi-hobby operation with few (if any) paid employees is staggering...

Yeah, they would have had to wait in line behind all the huge RPG developers who were pitching the idea.

Oh, wait...

Celebrim

Legend
Stranger Things itself is not at all suited to an RPG treatment, for many of the reasons that the story is imploding on itself.

Eleven simply doesn't need to belong to a party. She's the only Player Character in the story, and everyone else is ultimately just supporting cast. It's like having a Justice League formed of Wonder Woman and a half dozen ordinary school kids.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Stranger Things itself is not at all suited to an RPG treatment, for many of the reasons that the story is imploding on itself.

Eleven simply doesn't need to belong to a party. She's the only Player Character in the story, and everyone else is ultimately just supporting cast. It's like having a Justice League formed of Wonder Woman and a half dozen ordinary school kids.

It’s a genre not a specific story.

Celebrim

Legend
It’s a genre not a specific story.

I don't at all disagree, but often the reason people want to play a particular game that is tied to a setting is that they want to recreate the feel of a particularly story. And quite often, people find that certain stories just don't lend themselves to RPG frameworks in that way.

G

Guest 6801328

I don't at all disagree, but often the reason people want to play a particular game that is tied to a setting is that they want to recreate the feel of a particularly story. And quite often, people find that certain stories just don't lend themselves to RPG frameworks in that way.

Like the entire Star Wars setting?

Remove ads