D&D 5E Can you locate multiple objects of the same type with "locate object"?

houser2112

Explorer
According to this very wise poster from the "annoying spells" thread from a few weeks ago,

houser2112 said:
It's funny, my group came to the conclusion that locate object is one of the most useless spells in the game. 1000 ft is an incredibly short range, so it doesn't obviate the need for research. Anything worth casting it to find is likely going to be (a) something you aren't already intimately familiar with, and (b) in a place where you can't walk in a straight line to it.

So you've somehow found yourself within 1000 ft of the mcguffin (using means other than the spell), which happens to be unique enough for the location so the spell shows you the way to the Holy Avenger (which you happen to already have seen) instead of the rusty POS carried by orc #34. Since it only provides straight-line direction instead of telling you which direction to turn, and doesn't also tell you distance, you need to be a trig expert to know whether the mcguffin being "that way" is on the other side of the dungeon, or the other side of the wall. Since its duration is Concentration, the spell is vulnerable to all the encounters between you and the mcguffin, either due to damage or being forced to cast another Concentration spell to resolve the battle.

Finding your own stuff is probably the only use for the spell, so if you're really fond of that tactic, I suppose this spell is problematic for you, but for virtually any other use (would you really cast a spell to find any old <object of a particular type>?), I think you're perceiving the spell to be better than it actually is.

the purpose of the spell is finding stuff that has been stolen from you, or to sate your sudden hunger for strawberries.

MarkB

Legend
The point I was trying to make is that my understanding of the purpose of the spell is to find an object and track it. If you are allowing it to change objects throughout, it could be a pretty effective tool for avoiding groups of monsters who are known to carry a specific weapon type (orcs - greataxes, drow- hand crossbow, etc.). I don't think that is the intended purpose of the spell, but you are free to rule it works that way as the language isn't clearly stated, so it's the DMs call.

Bear in mind that this can also have disadvantages. If there are multiple orcs in a crowd, all moving and all carrying strawberries, the spell is going to be constantly switching targets and appearing to give you false or misleading readings.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases