How Do Your Villains Escape?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

How Do Your Villains Escape?

Hey all,

When you have a primary villain that you want your PCs to encounter but not fight to the death, what methods do you put in place for the villain to attempt to escape?

Now, I'm not talking about DM "magic" to make sure they escape, and the old "Contingency Spell Teleport" gets old real quick.

What I'm asking for is a good tactic to allow escape, while giving the PCs a chance to thwart it and put an end to them once and for all.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by MojoGM; Friday, 12th September, 2003 at 07:57 PM.
    We Must Believe in Free Will, We Have No Choice.

Ptolus #395

The back door, the jumping into the rushing river, even turning himself over to them. It does not really matter as long as the players can't find a body that they are sure is him!
    Signature:
    All I need is minions and I would rule the world.

Links updated: 2010.Oct.23
    Threads to reference:

DM ADVICE ---Maps and Other Campaign Resources --

Generally? Over the charred, smoking ruin that was once the PC party.

Alternatively, the villain doesn't escape. Unless the PC party then proceeds to go to great lengths to try to make sure he NEVER returns, if I so decide it would be amusing to for him to return, and I don't do this often (if the PCs could beat him the first time, clearly, we need a better villain), he does so. The return of the villain should be performed in a subtle manner, leaving it up to the players to suddenly realize it's HIM AGAIN. Don't bother trying to figure out a readily explainable cause of why he has returned: Your players will do it for you, and you just have to steal their cue. That's actually one of the greater DMing secrets: You don't have to think of something, if the players will do it for you. Nothing has to have a predetermined solution until the player thinks of one and tries it: If you like the solution he came up with, make that the correct solution and allow him to succeed. The player thus feels better. If you don't like it, then it doesn't work out, and the players will keep trying.

Anyway, back to villains:
    Alternatively, have a woefully inept villain rather than an effective one. Although thwarted by the heroes, see to it that he dies in a way where no body can be recovered. Have him reappear, like a bad comic-book villain, over and over and over. Great for comedy value.
    "And the ignorant shall fall to the squirrels."

- Chip 2:54

Quote Originally Posted by Norfleet
    Don't bother trying to figure out a readily explainable cause of why he has returned: Your players will do it for you, and you just have to steal their cue. That's actually one of the greater DMing secrets: You don't have to think of something, if the players will do it for you. Nothing has to have a predetermined solution until the player thinks of one and tries it: If you like the solution he came up with, make that the correct solution and allow him to succeed. The player thus feels better. If you don't like it, then it doesn't work out, and the players will keep trying.
    oh yes...I use this one a lot.

I can't count how many times I've thrown something out there, with no definitive explanation in mind.

While the party goes back and forth with it, I suddenly hear an idea I like and it becomes the reality.

Makes me seem like a genius and the players feel good because "HEY! We were right!"
    We Must Believe in Free Will, We Have No Choice.

Ptolus #395

Quote Originally Posted by MojoGM
    oh yes...I use this one a lot.

I can't count how many times I've thrown something out there, with no definitive explanation in mind.

While the party goes back and forth with it, I suddenly hear an idea I like and it becomes the reality.

Makes me seem like a genius and the players feel good because "HEY! We were right!"
    The best villain escapes are the ones that are casual, where the actions of the PC's open up an avenue of escape for the bad guy. If the PC's spent three hours clearing out every single monster from the dungeon, the villain has a clear avenue of escape. If they left their boat moored at the side of the castle, the villian finds it. The best out is usually the hole the PC's battered in trying to reach their objective. This creates a sense of story logic, verisimilitude, and makes the PC's feel that their actions have weight in the world.

Iron Fist of Pelor
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Pielorinho
    It depends on the villain. Clerics can plane shift away, druids turn into a bird and fly away, rogues run around the corner and hide, aquatic monsters swim downstream, fighters grab an unconscious PC and ready an action each turn to stab them as they move away, etc. More often than not, the villains IMC try to retreat when they realize they're screwed; they succeed about 1/3 of the time. Occasionally, an escaped villain will come back to cause more trouble, but the smarter one realize that they got lucky the first time, and they stay away. 'Course, players love chasing down the escaped villain, and I've got no problem letting them find the villain and tidy things up.

Daniel

Send a horde of minions at the PCs to tie them up while slipping out the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by NewJeffCT
    Send a horde of minions at the PCs to tie them up while slipping out the back door.
    Thats always a good bet if they don't have "Moon Powder" or some other meens of teleporting away. fly and d-door are good too.

some of my pc's got pretty good at foiling moon powder as an escape tactic by using called shots. invisibility is a good escape if the party isn't ready for it.
    Scribe to the Scarred Lands Sage

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore fusangite
    I might recommend that a villain be outfitted with a staff of passage. Now that 3.5 lets everyone have a use magic device skill, anyone can reap the benefits thereof.
    A Fusangite

-----------------------------------

one must depart from the province of Lean-tong, north of Peking and that after travelling 12,000 li, the traveller would reach Japan, and thence to the north, after a journey of 7000 li, arrive at the country of Wen-Schin (the painted people). Five thousand li from this country towards the east is Tahan, which is 20,000 li from Fusang.

-- A 6th century account of Fusang, the country across the Pacific from China.

Don't escape, reincarnate!

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast