Avenger's Infinity War *Spoiler* Discussion

Hussar

Legend
But that hardly makes him rational. Do audiences really need someone to point at Thanos and exclaim, "You are mad, mad I say!"? Do they really need to spell it out that Thanos is crazier than a poop house rat? I mean, the whole plan is irrational, and, even the justifications for it are the flimsy rationalizations of someone whose grasp on reality is tenuous at best.

I mean, follow the crazy train here. "My world experienced resource depletion because of overpopulation. So, in order to save everyone else from the same fate, I'm going to commit universe wide genocide. First, I'm going to do it in person, visiting world after world murdering millions and billions, but, now, I got my hands on the thing that could restore my planet, save all my people and bring about a golden age, so, I'm going to ignore all that and murder half the universe so I can sit on a lake and feel good about myself."

Do we actually need someone in the movie to tell the audience that this is bug:):):):) nuts?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Agreed. He’s not portrayed as mad, or called “the mad Titan”. I don’t know the comics, but the movie does not display an irrational protagonist (and he is this movie’s protagonist).

His very plan and the way he carried it out is "mad." He's had decades to figure things out and settle on a plan that doesn't work, as opposed to others that would. The world has gone from 3 billion in 1960 to 7 billion in 2011. It more than doubled in just 51 years. Halving the population doesn't do much to save resources since the populations will replace themselves very quickly. His plan is insane. His single minded pursuit of it, to the point of murdering what he loved most is also kinda crazy.

If he was rational, he would have settled on a solution that works, such as altering birth rates so that the populations drop to half and stay that way, or just replenishing the resources while making sure that populations don't increase further.

So while they don't explicitly call him the Mad Titan, he portrays it pretty well in the movie.

Hussar

Legend
Let's also not forget that much of the movie is told from Thanos' perspective. So, of course he's not going to call himself "mad". To him, he's perfectly rational and his solution is also perfectly rational.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
So any speculation on the Avengers 4 title? Word is that it has been kept under wraps as it is too spoilery.
I guess that means it was a spoiler for the end of Avengers: Infinity War. I wonder if it will be something along the lines of Avengers Reassembled or Avengers: Heroes Return?

I was also thinking about Avengers Forever, as that limited series involved time travel, but it's not too spoilery.

Joker

First Post
So any speculation on the Avengers 4 title? Word is that it has been kept under wraps as it is too spoilery.
I guess that means it was a spoiler for the end of Avengers: Infinity War. I wonder if it will be something along the lines of Avengers Reassembled or Avengers: Heroes Return?

I was also thinking about Avengers Forever, as that limited series involved time travel, but it's not too spoilery.

Avengers: The Dustbin Chronicles

I finally saw it last night and well : T-Tesseract (Space Stone) H-Hurl his (step)daughter off a cliff A-Aether (Reality Stone) N-Necklace (Time Stone) O-Orb (Power Stone) S-Scepter (Mind Stone)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Yea, no one needs to say Thanos is mad; he has ultimate power literally in his hand and does away with half the population WITHOUT thinking about what other options he had at his finger tips. Nope, not once does he say; with this power I could unify the galaxy, create food replicators, do away with hunger, war, and lead the galaxy into an age of enlightenment. :)

OB1

Jedi Master
Great! So now we agree that Thanos as presents in the film is completely mad, it also means that he has no character arc. The one choice he seems to make, throwing Gamora off the cliff, is a part of his madness. That’s why he fails so completely as a protagonist and why the film can’t stand on its own. The film fails because it’s nothing more than a series of, then this thing happened. It’s not a story, it’s a list.

Remove ads