D&D 5E The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter Five

97mg

Explorer
The Carven Door

“Break the gemstone?” Magaw repeats Metea’s idea to himself. “Such a pity that might be, it is beautiful is it not?” He floats up then to view the massive jewel more closely. “Whatever remains in these twisting passages and caves, is through Immel’s choice. As much as I’d wish to destroy this… it might not be particularly wise.”

Noting that the warlock has sensed some trepidation in his earlier mannerisms, he returns to the four symbols, and places himself again at the far right. “This one I have found in old memories. Ironic perhaps that it's meaning is for one trapped between life and death, the darkness of earth and the world above. This marking means undead… I am sure of it.”

He turns to face Metea then, asking, “shall I?”

Rotating back to the symbol he moves forwards, as if about to touch it with a dry boney forehead.

With his ears full of the distant ringings of theories and hypothesis, testing and wonder, Carthum could be onto something. The demon gate is closed. Is that something to risk tampering with? But what of the carved door? The arts of healing and protection are the half-orc’s gift, and magic symbols are widely used in both. Maybe whatever is behind this door was so worthy of protection, that four separate spells were cast upon it… or four things must be done to prove worthiness? Even back in the Church of Suru, there are tomes and artifacts out of reach for frontline clerics and priests. With knowledge and progress, comes further knowledge...

“Hey ho, not judging friend, just saying is all,” the dwarf responds to Otiroth. “To be honest, I’m mo’ comfortable in the presence of folks like you, than the Dolstian fools above. Yea, you’re right, I’m no saint. But I am in debt to ya.”

A projectile of flame bursts upon the sorcerer’s favorite symbol then, another test, but as the heat subsides and the bolt dissipates into oblivion, nothing has changed.

We got a symbol in the hills I seen once,” the dwarf mentions then. “Two sides of a triangle, with a circle in the middle, tis a racial thing. Hey, instead of cookin’ it, why don’t ya just finger it? And that gem, well hells! That be larger than Aunt Daint's left teat, or Baker Oddolf's apple pie! That my friends, has to come with us!”

Despite being devoid of fingers, Magaw is already on the same track. His noggin lightly bumps against his chosen glyph.

For a moment, the floating skull is suspended in a cone of ocean-blue light as the line and it's intersected dot glow.

“Oh, dazzling!”

Then, as the blue glow subsides a new illumination creeps in. The right edge of the carven door now leaks a shaft of pure, white light. Small particles of dust dance and weave within the beam, and cool air scented with salt begins to drift into the darkness.

The barbarian has been so patient letting all this unfold. Watching. Waiting. So far, nothing appears to threaten them, except the consequences of their own decisions and Magaw’s rub against the rock. So strange to be keeping company with a skull… then again, the gnolls would keep their hunting trophies on occasion too. A finger. A tooth. A head. So whose trophy was Magaw, she might wonder? And what might they do to get it back? Jeovanna would know that Magaw wasn’t skinned by some feral animal or pack of blood-hungry carnivores. No. The manner of this one’s death was less… natural, and complete.

Off in his own private patch of shadow, Dain is staring down a relatively straight section of tunnel as he meditates. So dark. So inhospitable. So infertile. Yet life abounds! Through the very stonework and it's airy gaps, below, above and on all sides, the ranger reaches out, an almost supernatural sense in search of sentience. The results are quite overwhelming.

The chaotic and mysterious signs of fey in abundance. Hints of fiendish folk both large and small. Natural creatures, such as the bats and spiders already witnessed, humans and other Kalarians among others as yet unseen. Undead, drifting throughout the space like souls lost in a midnight sky.

Four kinds of life.

Four symbols.

Four sides to a door.

Infinite ways to die.

Metea

First Post
"Fine, let's try it, and move on if it doesn't work," Metea replies. Magaw needing to have this information asked for, when he knew they were looking at it, was an irritant, but what could one do? The fact that he didn't get trapped by the gem was reason enough to try it herself, but the fact that it needed undead to touch it probably wasn't for the best, either.

Metea would try the fire symbol as well, since it seemed the most 'fiendish', but she could probably also try the others, if one was meant for her.

Jeovanna

First Post
Enough time has passed and the door remains unsolved. Jeovanna retrieves her torch and heads back to join the others, investigating the faint opening of the door with them.

"Does not smell like demons," she mutters. But how much did that mean? It was like trusting a poisonous frog to be orange instead of green.

<Wisdom/perception check-15>

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain/Carthum - The Carven Door

Illumination! Devil's arse! If only my memory were so easily revealed to me!

Scrambling backwards after his mental sojourn, Dain rushed back into the main chamber. He was obviously excited about something. When he spoke, however, it was with a low and serious voice.

"I have had a vision. Four types of creatures. Fey...Fiends...the Natural...and the Unnatural." He scowled slightly at the mention of the final type. "These are who roam and wander here."

He realized shortly after that he was perhaps stating the obvious. But he was adamant with his newfound knowledge. Seeing that the great door was now revealing some secrets, he shook his head. "All sorts, obviously. Those symbols must be connected to my vision. I believe that to open that door is to invite death."

He gestured back towards the tunnel he had come from. "The sea is that way...and probably little else. We should try the tunnels on the other side."

Carthum listened to Dain, his skepticism more or less hidden. Then his attention went back to the door. The skull had done something. But was that something good?

But did they want to open that door? Were they ready for what was on the other side? His teachers had warned against foolish arrogance...

"We do not want to be party to the end of Kalair. That door was closed and sealed for a reason. It is arrogant to pry such a gateway open. That is not our quest..." He made eye contact with Metea.

97mg

Explorer
The Carven Door

Reaching out and making contact with the symbol of a fire enshrouded being, Metea is bathed in subtle blue light, as is Otiroth as his youthful fingers grace the carving on the far left.

The sensation is a pleasant one, like a cloud of peace being dispersed around the magic-wielders, a feeling of calm and assurance flowing about you.

“Come to me, seekers of Immel’s grace.”

The words are whispered in their minds, the voice of a lady in a refined, aged and well-to-do tone.

“I am not alone,” Annit whispers under her breath within the darkness of her passageway. Movement. The sounds of small, light and careful footsteps. She waits, ready to pounce upon some unknown foe, but the cause of her worry is not visible to her eyes. Moments later, a shadow blocks the light of her colleagues from leaking down the shaft. Turning, the rouge watches as the silhouette of a small woman appears near the entrance to the great circular cave.

It is the pitchling girl. She appears as though from thin air before the team of young explorers, smiling and pleased to see you all once more.

“Walkers of the path of flames,” she says, “Immel will see you now.”

Slowly, she steps forwards in the direction of the symbol-locked door.

From her tunnel, Annit can be seen behind the new arrival, stood ready, an expression of curiosity on her face and a dagger gripped tight within her right hand. Slowly and hesitantly she slides it back within it's sheath.

Three sides of the carven door now cut the cave’s dim light with pure white, like a morning sun sneaking through the shutters of a window, into a home plagued by fiends, death and loss.

Metea

First Post
Metea frowned, pulling her hand back. But the sensation is not unpleasant... still, as she looks away... she looks to Carthum. His concern is not unjustified, but perhaps misnamed.

It wasn't a demon door, then, but a fey one?

"Sela!" Metea declared in greeting, but the pitchling was already continuing past them, to the door. So, here was the fey then, to open the door the rest of the way...

This was a secret Metea could not let walk away from them. She felt as refreshed as she ever could, even a short rest being enough to refresh her spell-casting ability... and they were stronger now than they were when they met Sela last.

One last glance towards the others- and Metea would follow the pitchling woman.

Otiroth

First Post
Fey could be just as dangerous as demons. Moreso, perhaps, for they could be capricious.

Perhaps it was no coincidence, either, that Sela had appeared now, after Dain's warning. The dragon sorcerer grimaces- dragons were dangerous as well, but less so in his current form- and he'd watch the pitchling interact with the door herself.

He would not let Metea out of his sight, though...

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna's hand remains on the hilt of her sword- recent events have made her somewhat suspicious of everything happening down here. Of course, she doesn't draw her blade... not quite yet.

The barbarian blew her bangs out of her eyes, and shot a glance back towards Dain and Carthum. They will have to keep an eye on the mages, in case they get too... enthralled by what is happening here. In truth, Jeovanna might have felt better had she been able to put her blade in something. Since their meeting at the crossroads, though, they had been leading to this.

White fire... or just light.

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain/Carthum - The Carven Door

Dain's sword switched back into a ready position when he saw the pitchling girl again. He watched her with narrowed eyes as she headed for the door. When the carved opening began to glow, he shook his head slowly.

We are reckless! This fey is a manipulator...

But this had been their decision. His eyes met Annit's for a brief moment, then flicked back to the pitchling.

Moving up near the fey, Dain made no pretense of friendship or ease. The blade of his sword turned slowly as he adjusted his grip. His position was clear: if something terrible came through the door, she would be the first fatality.

Carthum joined Metea, his body and his shield positioned before her. Whatever happened, he would protect his sister first. "Suru watch over us." He said without hesitation or pretense.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases