Is there no limit to ability enhancement?

Yair

Community Supporter
I remember in 3.0 there was a limit of +6 to enhancement bonuses to ability scores. I tried, but couldn't find the limit in the 3.5 DMG. It says on page 21 that inherent bonuses are limited to +5, but fails to mention any limit on enhancement bonuses.

Is there no limit?!

Help!!

Crothian

First Post
ACtually, in 3.0 in the epic level hanbook they had items that gave enhancement bonuses up to +12, so I don't think there was even a limit then.

Creamsteak

Explorer
There is no physical cap for any ability scores. Their are limits to any game, but that's set by what kind of items and other bonuses that a character can accumulate. I've never seen any published products with anything having an ability score over 70 (including Dieties and Demigods) to my knowledge, but I wouldn't doubt that someone has done it.

Yair

Community Supporter
I am well aware of the fact that ability scores are open-ended. I was referring to ability score enhancement, i.e an Enhancement bonus to ability scores.

In the 3.0 DMG (page 176) it said: "Most items that add to ability scores are restricted to a maximum bonus of +6, and the bonus usually comes in multiples of 2 (+2, +4, +6)."
I always read that to mean enhancement bonus to ablity scores was limited to +6, and interperted the "most" as referring to the Inherent bonus which specifically said "A character is limited to a total inherent bonus of +5 to any ability score".

The matching section in the 3.5 DMG is missing the paragraph in which the above limitation on ability score enhancement is stated. I can find no place where this limitation is mentioned (although it's possible I missed it).
It therefore appears that in 3.5, as opposed to 3.0, there is no limit to ability score enhancement.

Is that right?!!!

P.S, the Epic Level Handbook provided rules to exceed mortal limitations such as +6 to ability scores or +5 on swords, I know. I am refering strictly to non-Epic rules.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
There is no technical limit, altho the cost for items above +6 should be insane!

It's the DM's job to keep the balance with this kind of stuff.

Bye
Thanee

Yair

Community Supporter
Hmph. We are playing 15th level, a one-time "build your own character" three-session affair. The amounts of wealth available to those characters ARE insane.
But thanks... :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases