D&D 5E DMing for kids: quiz for XP!

fil512

Explorer
I’ve been DMing a group of kids for a couple of years now. Started when they were 11, now they’re 13. Tried all sorts of different things. One surprising hit with them is at the start of every session I run a quiz with prepared questions about the campaign, easy medium and hard. They choose their difficulty level and if they get it right they earn XP. They’re 4th level right now so the rewards are 25, 50, and 100. I didn’t think much of it—for me it was to help them remember campaign details about earlier sessions to help give context for the current session, but I was amazed at what a hit it was. It’s now like their favourite part. Crazy. Anyway, thought I’d pass this discovery on in case there are other parents out there DMing for their kids...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
That's a good idea to replace the usual ''In the last episode of'' at the start of the session while we eat.

Though I bet much of my regular players would fail the Easy level given their usual lack of attention.

fil512

Explorer
I maintain a Google Sites website with a chronicle of their adventures that helps them remember. It helps that my players like reading....

Tory Smith

Villager
That’s a great idea. I plan on introducing my daughter to role playing in the form of the My Little Pony: Tales of Equestria RPG (yes it exists), and I may have to incorporate something like that too.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Nice! I like that. I'll have to add that to my games.

Another thing I like to do is give inspiration for drawing pictures or writing stories based on the prior adventure.

jasper

Rotten DM
I will try this xp quiz for my adult players!
jasper, Um I choose easy mode Yaarel.
Yaarel, " What die do you roll to hit with?"
jasper, "the purple one"
Yaarel, " no a d20! We swapped out your purple d20 six months ago! You been using a purple d12!"
Jasper, " I just thought I had bad luck this last year!"

psst mostly true story.

houser2112

Explorer
I once had a DM that did this. He mixed in rules questions (this was at the time when 3.0 was new) and questions about past campaigns that I wasn't involved in. I excelled at the rules questions because I was the only one who apparently read the PH, but failed miserably at the lore questions because I didn't participate in them. As long as you keep the lore questions strictly current, this isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I do a very similar thing at my table (adults, not children). Instead of awarding XP I award Inspiration (we use an Inspiration pot that any character can draw from).

Remove ads