Ability-score damage and enhancement bonuses

Nareau

Explorer
Let's say I have a normal strength of 6, and that I'm wearing Guantlets of Ogre Power +2. I then get hit with some poison, and suffer 8 points of strength damage. Do I keel over, paralyzed? Or not?

My thinking: you can't have negative ability scores. It seems to me that the poison would only do 6 points of strength damage to me, reducing my natural score to 0. My guantlets would keep me moving with a strength score of 2.

Spider

[Edit]Grr. I'm a dummy. Mods, could you move this to Rules? Thanks.

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
When your strength score goes to zero, irrespective of bonuses from magic items, you are paralyzed. The gauntlets can't help you if you can't move.

Al

First Post
As a DM, I rule that you can go into 'virtual' negative numbers. So in this case, you would go to a 'virtual' -2, which means that you would have a strength score of 0. If you went to 'virtual' -1 or 0, you would be okay, having a strength score of 1 or 2 respectively.

As an interesting aside, note that a Headband of Intellect offsets most of the worst bit of Feeblemind (loss of sentient thought), since Feeblemind SETS Int to 1, so even a +2 Headband is enough to keep sentience, if not spellcasting capability.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Spider said:
Let's say I have a normal strength of 6, and that I'm wearing Guantlets of Ogre Power +2. I then get hit with some poison, and suffer 8 points of strength damage. Do I keel over, paralyzed? Or not?

You do - your Str is 0.

But, if someone takes your Gauntlets off, your Str is still 0, since, as you point out, you can't have a negative ability score.

If they subsequently put your Gauntlets back on, then you gain a +2 Enhancement bonus to your Str of 0, which would give you a total Str of 2.

Edit - as an aside, don't try this game with Constitution.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Grog

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
You do - your Str is 0.

But, if someone takes your Gauntlets off, your Str is still 0, since, as you point out, you can't have a negative ability score.

If they subsequently put your Gauntlets back on, then you gain a +2 Enhancement bonus to your Str of 0, which would give you a total Str of 2.

I think the game crashes if you do this.

Remove ads