D&D 5E PbP games: what works and what doesn't?

EarlyBird

Explorer
You would think, but I have found out I like it better when the story flows. I am real good at thinking up things off the top of my head, so I had real fun in RL games where I left things more fluid.

I have probably played more 3.5 than 1e in my years of gaming. Which is probably why I am headed back towards 1e now, kind of missing it.

EarlyBird

Explorer
True, true. I remembering getting together with my friends three to four times a week to play.

And I remember becoming Pizza Hut customer of the month because of it. lol

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yeah, if it's what you want, go for it. I'm always happy to have some freedom to make stuff up. It'll work well once everyone gets used to it, IMO.
I've noticed that happening and at first, as a player, I was taken aback. But given the medium... at the same time, I hesitate to do it because what if I introduce something that messes up the GM's plan or is simply "wrong"?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think as long as you don't purposefully try to throw a monkey wrench into the works, a good DM won't have a problem working your stuff into the narrative. If it goes against plan *a little*, it's usually pretty easy to steer things back in the right direction. Just don't go way out of wack and you should be fine.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So, different question.

I've been looking into OSR systems - old school D&D - pre 1e kinda stuff. (Specifically, the GLOG which has as brilliant take on magic - more specifically https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2018/01/osr-glog-based-homebrew-v01-rat-on.html)

One of the key aspect of the play seems to be a constant back and forth between the players and the GM, as the players try to carefully gather as much info as possible to not have their PCs die. Is this feasible in a pbp game?

Radaceus

Adventurer
So, different question.

I've been looking into OSR systems - old school D&D - pre 1e kinda stuff. (Specifically, the GLOG which has as brilliant take on magic - more specifically https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2018/01/osr-glog-based-homebrew-v01-rat-on.html)

One of the key aspect of the play seems to be a constant back and forth between the players and the GM, as the players try to carefully gather as much info as possible to not have their PCs die. Is this feasible in a pbp game?

It used to take us hours to enter/search a room, hell it still does when we play 1e. My Rl group started in the early 80s , with OD&D/Basic that Hybridized in AD&D when the HC books came out (we had the PHB and the DMG but we used then in conjunction with the D&D boxed set for awhile) and granted we manage to stream line it a bit these days, but our grognard 1e DM is a Gygaxian fanatic, so we rarely make it to level 10 or even level 7+...

long story short,to answer the question...I think the older systems were slower paced and therefore would make PbP even slower?

Remove ads