[Xbox] Dungeons & Dragons Heroes review

WizarDru

Adventurer
Ouch. Sounds like this'll chalk up to a 'if you want to play Gauntlet, go play Gauntlet' sort of situation. I'll wait for some more reviews, though. Sometimes Gamespot and I don't always agree...but this review looked fairly well thought out.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Readers (9) give it 7.7 - about what I would expect for a game with a limited number of characters and being from what I have seen of it a hacking game.

Beretta

First Post
The slow-down and in-game stutter is definitely a mark against it. The reception appears lukewarm from the reviews I have read. It's a damn shame as I was looking forward to a 4-way co-op game. I'll wait for BG:DA2, and amuse myself with ToEE in the meantime.

Last edited:

Zogg

First Post
Why is it so hard to make a good RPG these days? Between this and the mediocre ToEE review, you have to wonder what is going on these days. I imagine it's primarily due to a short dev cycle, but it seems like innovation is the first thing thrown out the window.

I don't have an Xbox anyway, but the review makes the game sound so BAD. Doubt we'll be seeing a DnD Heroes 2.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Ignoring the relatively low reviews, I decided to buy this game (having seen it demo'ed at Gencon). I was happily impressed. Granted I'm not a 24 hor a day console gamer, so I don't have a wealth of information to back up the comparisons. Personnally, I thought it was as good as BG:DA on the xbox (graphics were actually a little worse than BG:DA), but the four player game was very fun.

Spent all of Sunday playing with four players from 3:00pm to 11:00pm in place of our regular PnP game. Worth the money as long as you understand what you're buying.

Keia

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Also, reviewers tend to trend to the mainstream and definitely have favorite genres of games they like to play. The complaints I read about (no on-line feature, etc.) were very overrated. If you want a fun four player Hack and slah game (along the lines of BG:DA for the console) thats what you've got here.

Very addicting, like the original arcade Gauntlet games.

Keia

ps. For RPG try SW:KOTOR - great great game.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Zogg said:
Why is it so hard to make a good RPG these days? Between this and the mediocre ToEE review, you have to wonder what is going on these days. I imagine it's primarily due to a short dev cycle, but it seems like innovation is the first thing thrown out the window.

Clones of successful formulas generally make up most of the market. Nearly every RPG these days seems to try to be Baldur's Gate, Diablo, or something in between, but none have been able to beat them at their own game.

Knights of The Old Republic will hit the PC next month, and it looks to be good, though it also borrows heavily from its BioWare predecessors from what I understand.

Oddly enough, the RPG I'm probably anticipating the most right now (besides KoTOR) is Mario & Luigi on the GBA.

Last edited:

Remove ads