D&D 5E Underwater interest (Closed)

tglassy

Adventurer
I’m not exactly saying I’d like to run an underwater game, but there are so many races and creatures made for underwater gameplay, it makes me wonder how this would work. The other games I ran were rather large, and I very well may pick them up again soon, seeing as many of my players are still here, so this would likely be more of a one shot with future possibilities, but is there any interest in an underwater game?

Character creation would, obviously, be extremely limited. Water Genasi, Tritons, and the new Sea Elves are the only PC characters who can naturally breath underwater, though Air Genasi can hold their breath indefinitely, which means they can’t talk.

I suppose the spell Water Breathing could be utilized, as it has a 24 hr duration but that puts an awe full lot of power on the PC who has it prepared. Druids, Sorcerers, Wizards and high level Rangers can cast it. It also means always needing to expend a 3rd lvl spell slot every day to keep it going for the whole party.

Of course, the Warlock Invocation Gift of the Depths eliminates all of this, granting the Warlock, of any race, the ability to not only breath underwater, but also cast Water Breathing once a day. So technically, if one person played a Warlock then the party could be whatever they wanted. But would you put your life in the hands of a warlock?

There are also a number of Uncommon items that could grant Water Breathing as well.

All in all, if I were to run an underwater game, and I’m not saying I will, I would likely start play at lvl 5, with one uncommon magic item and two common ones, to give people an opportunity to make the character they wanted. The main requirement being how you survive below the surface, and why you’re there. Taking a Sea Race frees up your class and Magic Items, but if you really want to play a Dragonborn or Human Variant, then you would either need to take a class that can cast Water Breathing and use a high level spell slot everyday, be a Warlock, or use your one free Uncommon Magic Item.

I may introduce something I did before, and make the traditional Genasi the Human Version, and make it so each race that has a subrace can switch their subrace for a Genasi subrace. But I’m not sure if I want to do that, seeing as the point of the game would be to try these things WotC made for underwater adventuring.

So, thoughts? Is there any interest for this?

RG: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?641685-Underwater-Adventer-RG&p=7428017#post7428017

IC: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?651491-Underwater-Adventures!&p=7461357#post7461357

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Explorer
post interest in this - as I will need some underwater experience for a few games I am running. haha

So there will be no submersible? or area with air? I'm thinking Triton sorcerer or druid at the moment.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Sounds good - I am interested in underwater combat and the effect it has on spells and items.

How many players would be a good party? I think the norm is 5.

tglassy

Adventurer
Probably 5. I don’t know, I really just want to see what interest there is. I’ve always been interested in the concept, so we’ll see where it goes.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
In my main (IRL) campaign, the conflict between the home city of the party (a very large trading port) and an underwater race (squid-men, backed up by krakens) is an important background element.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases