I broke my brain...Duel Weilding a Lances on a horse!?!? lol

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
So am I wrong in saying a lvl 15 Fighter Champion on a horse with Duel Wielding feat, Mounted Combatant, two lances, two-weapon fighting style, Defensive Fighting style and some plate armor getting 4 attacks that critical on 18-20 simultaneously the only effective two-weapon fighting I know of and the dumbest thing I have ever thought of.

I am sure I am not the first person to think of it, is there a name for this laughable build?

I feel like there is Gnome paladin 4 / Fighter Champion 16 multiclass with 2 rapiers as back up weapons for when he dismounts, ... somewhere.

Possibly Called Sir Lancealot Paladin Crusader of Lowkey.

(P.S. I would not play this, like I said I was looking to find a way to make two-weapon fighting good, but ran across the lace and realized technically I could use it while on a horse which lead to this path of thought... its more a crazy image than anything and not useful in a dungeon.)

Last edited:

flametitan

Explorer
You're not the first one to come up with this idea, but I'm not sure how well it'd work in practice. Nevermind the whole mount issue, I'm not actually sure how easy it is to ride a steed in combat while both your hands are busy with lances.

That said, if it is that easy to ride a horse without holding onto it, then by all means, go for it! Just make sure not to have too much cheese in your diet.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I would hesitate to call this "effective."

I mean, you are still only getting one extra attack per round, as a bonus action, and that depends on your mount not dying.

That said, if it is that easy to ride a horse without holding onto it, then by all means, go for it! Just make sure not to have too much cheese in your diet.

The Mongols conquered nearly all of Eurasia on horseback, while shooting arrows from their composite bows. All pictures of archers on horseback clearly show they do NOT hold on to the reins. Riding without holding on to the horse does not seem to be a major issue.

However, all pictures that I can find of knights wielding lances on horseback shows that these definitely DO hold the reins in the hand with the shield. I think that it is probably essential to hold on to something as your lance slams into the enemy.

If I were the DM, I would have a chat with the player about this. If the player can describe how anyone can practically make 4 attacks while holding 2 lances during a charge on horseback, then sure. The PHB already shows how the player gets disadvantage when in melee at 5 ft, so I am sure that the player intends to make charges. The whole point of a lance and a warhorse is to put all the mass of horse and rider at speed into a single crushing blow. If you divide it over 4 attacks, then it just doesn't really work.

I agree it is dumb and silly. Perhaps there are no rules to ban this, but it's just a player trying to maximize damage without caring for any combat-roleplay.

Riley37

First Post
Warhorses were sometimes much more expensive than other horses. Reasons probably included the training necessary to take direction, quickly, from signals given only by voice and leg/foot pressure, without relying on reins. The skill of *giving* that direction is also significant. Riding without reins strikes me as difficult, even with a very well trained horse, all the more so if one has to get the horse to participate smoothly in unit maneuvers such as the transition from column of twos into line of battle. Also while firing a bow, which has certain demands on one's balance, all the more so when facing any direction other than aligned with the horse's spine.

You might as well dual-wield lances as a PC centaur, who's mounted on another centaur, since "tower of centaurs" is the hot new "how to misinterpret the rules" this month, or maybe it was last month.

Riley37

First Post
2 lances & no shield? Good way to take a lance to the heart, just sayin’.

Do Warforged have hearts? If not, then no problem!

Well, not that specific problem. Maybe other problems.

If you're charging someone who isn't another lancer lancer charging back at you, then a lance to your heart, or head, is also less of an issue. Jousting isn't nearly as much fun as pursuing fleeing infantry or archers, and turning them into shiskebobs.

Coroc

Hero
Had a big discussion on RPG stack Exchange some years ago on this BS.

It is imho to ridicolous to be even discussed. Dual wielding in RL has only been widely done with rapier / dagger nothing else (Sabre / Pistol in later times sometimes also). Everything else was just showing of skills mostly. Several myths are still around:

Most RPGs allowing dual wield asume you are getting more attacks by dual wielding making you in fact faster, that is of course rubbish since you gotta Change stances (Forward leg) to bring the second weapon to the attacker which in fact is slower than fighting single weapon or weapon shield.

Why was it done then? Well, for parrying purposes in rapier fighting, though some prefered a buckler / cape / coat / hat / good glove for this.

Normally whe nfighting with two wepons RL you attack with one and defend with the other. Everything else is just making things complicated.

With the beginning example of dual wield Lances: it will distribute the force of the Impact if both hit at the same time, so you should get half damage dice for that :p , nah it is obvious that you autofail to hit since you cannot control your horse anymore because you got no Hand free for the reigns.

Coroc

Hero
Addendum, yea multiattack in a joust thats just the over lol how in all nine hells is that supposed to work? Put your horse into reverse for that ?

With the rogue backstab: why they have no Problem to allow Bonus dice only once, whereas in this case it would be much more reasonable to apply them multiple times?

(Jousting) Lance in the weapon table should have 2(3) *entries: only usable on horse back, 1 attack only. double the damage dice to compensate, this is also reasonable. The third entry for rule lawyers: No, you cannot dual wield it start to think straight and watch less Animes!

Remove ads