Level 20 Assassinate Crit build.

Gavin O.

First Post
Theoretical level 20 nova builds are fun to make! Here's one I'm working on:

Wood Elf, Fighter(11)/Paladin(2)/Ranger(4)/Rogue(3) (Eldritch Knight, Gloom Stalker, Assassin)

2 Levels of Fighter are needed for Action Surge, a staple of nova builds, and we're going up to 11 levels for the third attack. Eldritch Knight gives us extra spell slots to fuel Divine Smite.

3 Levels of Ranger are taken for the Gloom Stalker's Dread Ambusher ability. This gives us a free extra attack to each of our attack actions on the first round of combat (which triggers twice, since we're taking the attack action twice from Action Surge), with some extra damage rolled in. In combinations with the Fighter's Extra Attacks, this allows us to get up to 8 attacks per round. The last level is taken for the extra ASI.

3 Levels of Rogue for Assassinate. Gives auto-crits against surprised foes, as well as advantage to hit against any creature that hasn't taken a turn yet.

2 Levels of Paladin for Divine Smite. Being able to burn our spell slots for 4d8 or 6d8 damage each is a huge boost to our damage.

Stats: Being a Paladin/Ranger requires 13's in four different stats that aren't Con, which means stretching yourself very thin. This is the point buy I would recommend:
Wood elf:
13 Strength, 13+2 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 13+1 Wis, 13 Cha

We have four ASI, which we spend on Elven Accuracy (+1 Dex), two Dex bumps, and Sharpshooter, which is just enough to get our dex to 20. Assassinate gives us free advantage to trigger our Elven Accuracy, helping us ensure our incredibly damaging hits land.

How damaging?

Our full Nova round consists of the following:

16d8 (Longbow damage dice, doubled) + 4d6 (Level 3 Sneak Attack, Doubled) +4d6 (2x Dread Ambusher bonus damage, doubled) +30d8 (three each of level 1 and level 2 divine smites, which is the number of spell slots we have, all doubled) +16d6 (Hunter's Mark bonus damage, Doubled) +40 (Dex flat bonus) +80 (Sharpshooter flat bonus)

= over 400 damage if all eight hits land

So what if you don't plan to hit level 20?

If you want to play a lower-level nova build, I don't think it's worth taking three levels of Rogue just for Assassinate, and Paladin Divine Smite is only good once you have quite a few spell slots. Instead I would recommend a Ranger(3)/Fighter(x) or Fighter(2)/Ranger(x), which comes online at about level 7-8. Gloom Stalker still combos very well with action surge without all the extra things.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

Nice build. What you miss however is making sure you indeed surprise enemies. I would recommend to take alert for a flat +5 initiative bonus to initative. Gloom stalker gives +2 intiative which helps too.

Gavin O.

First Post
Nice build. What you miss however is making sure you indeed surprise enemies. I would recommend to take alert for a flat +5 initiative bonus to initative. Gloom stalker gives +2 intiative which helps too.

I don't think having high Initiative will help in this case. If you get a surprise round, that takes place before Initiative is rolled. So the plan is to max our Stealth (+5 Dex, Stealth Expertise from Rogue) and sneak up on people/dragons.

I don't think having high Initiative will help in this case. If you get a surprise round, that takes place before Initiative is rolled. So the plan is to max our Stealth (+5 Dex, Stealth Expertise from Rogue) and sneak up on people/dragons.

Sorry to correct you, but this issue appeared over and ober again:
There is no such thing as a surprise round.
Surprised is a condition which you may have in the first round of combat when everybody rolled inititative.
When it is your turn and you are surprised, all you do is becoming unsurprised.
So you need to win inititiative to actually get to use your auto crit feature.

Gavin O.

First Post
Sorry to correct you, but this issue appeared over and ober again:
There is no such thing as a surprise round.
Surprised is a condition which you may have in the first round of combat when everybody rolled inititative.
When it is your turn and you are surprised, all you do is becoming unsurprised.
So you need to win inititiative to actually get to use your auto crit feature.

Ahh, I looked this up and you're correct. Maybe it would be best to swap Sharpshooter for Alert (and use a Rapier), since I also forgot that Divine Smite only works on Melee attacks.

Or maybe just skip paladin levels and take battle master instead have more asis and less need for charisma and strength.
If you really want to make sure to have higher initiative, you can be a bard level 3 best with lore specialization.
So ranger level 3 for ambusher. Fighter battlemaster 11 for asi and 3 attacks and superiority dice and action surge. Bard level 3 for jack of the all trades and enhance ability and rogue level 3 for assassinate.
That is with standard array:
8 Str, 15+2 dex, 12 Con, 10 int, 13+1 wis, 14 cha.
1 asi alert
1 asi elven accuracy
1 asi sharp shooter

+2 ini dread ambusher
+3 ini bard
+4 ini dex
+5 ini alert
Advantage on ini due to enhance ability
+14 ini with advantage shoud be sufficient.

Last edited:

Gavin O.

First Post
Or maybe just skip paladin levels and take battle master instead have more asis and less need for charisma and strength.
If you really want to make sure to have higher initiative, you can be a bard level 3 best with lore specialization.
So ranger level 3 for ambusher. Fighter battlemaster 11 for asi and 3 attacks and superiority dice and action surge. Bard level 3 for jack of the all trades and enhance ability and rogue level 3 for assassinate.
That is with standard array:
8 Str, 15+2 dex, 12 Con, 10 int, 13+1 wis, 14 cha.
1 asi alert
1 asi elven accuracy
1 asi sharp shooter

+2 ini dread ambusher
+3 ini bard
+4 ini dex
+5 ini alert
Advantage on ini due to enhance ability
+14 ini with advantage shoud be sufficient.

I feel like Divine Smite is too powerful an ability to give up. Spending a first-level spell slot on 4d8 = 18 damage, as many times as you want per turn, scaling with higher level slots, for 2 levels seems too attractive not to have. Compared to a Superiority dice, which at this level will deal 2d10 = 11 damage and you only get 5.

Remember that you have to chose between sharpshooter and smite. But maybe you are right. For the nova it seems more reasonable to not take the chance to miss due to the -5 modifier. But it is 80 potential damage.

Gavin O.

First Post
Remember that you have to chose between sharpshooter and smite. But maybe you are right. For the nova it seems more reasonable to not take the chance to miss due to the -5 modifier. But it is 80 potential damage.

True, but if we've only got three ASI we'd probably get more value out of getting our Dex to 20.

Remove ads