D&D 5E Players forgetting about potions and scrolls

fil512

Explorer
Any other DMs out there feel like their players rarely use their potions and scrolls and just sort of loose track of them? Any suggestions to remedy this?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
As DM, I feel like this is one of those things I don't need to worry about. They'll use them when they use them.

Edited to add: I generate treasure randomly using the tables in the DMG. When a scroll is indicated, I ask the players to pick the spell on the scroll. This generally means they'll pick something they find particularly useful, which may mean they remember they have it.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Might simply listing consumables separately from permanent items on their sheets (or on a group sheet) be a trick to help them remember what they have and to use them?

Satyrn

First Post
Put best before dates on their potions.

(It prevents potions in ancient tombs from being usable, though, but that might actually add a little bonus flavor to the setting)

Ed Laprade

First Post
It is actually a pretty common phenomenon. Mostly due to the idea that they have to be saved for that one time that they'll REALLY be needed. And when that time finally rolls around, they've probably forgotten about them. Assuming that they even recognize that NOW is the time they've been waiting for.

Riley37

First Post
If PCs are winning fights without using their potions and scrolls, then they're doing it right. They should keep winning fights without depleting non-regenerating resources. Better to win and still have the scroll/potion in reserve, than to win and NOT still have it in reserve.

If PCs are losing fights, resting, resuming the offensive, and eventually succeeding, then they're still doing it right.

If PCs get a TPK because they didn't bother to track and apply all their resources, then... did they have fun?

If the players enjoy TPKs more than they enjoy using all the PC's resources to win, then they're STILL doing it right.

If you object to any of these scenarios, then YOU have an unmet need. Do you expect your players to meet that need, or to help you meet your own needs?

CapnZapp

Legend
Players generally dislike or ignore consumables, chiefly because they dislike spending them when they're not needed, and when they do realize they need them the situation is dire enough for some "daily" effect.

Games Masters love consumables because it allows generosity without long-term balance issues.

Li Shenron

Legend
Any other DMs out there feel like their players rarely use their potions and scrolls and just sort of loose track of them? Any suggestions to remedy this?

It happens to me too. Either because they get buried under the rest of the equipment, or because they always save them up, preferring to use their rechargeable abilities instead.

Remove ads