Attercop Attercop from Taunting to - Come and Get it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
From a skill function Taunting seems other than Intimidation its Not Diplomacy could it relate to Bluff? even a defendery style bluff.

Bilbo almost did a come and get it style move with much more range and distance than any come and get it.

Even if he didnt deliver an immediate damage against those scrambling after him he might have marked the lot of them. Them not being certain where he was could even be seen as leaving them looking over their shoulder when he was nowhere near (and very much like a mark)

His personality was actually somewhat defenderish inspite of being rogue mayhaps a mild touch of inspirational warlord and the idea of distracting enemies away from vulnerable allies really pops to the fore as a defender rogue ability.

So could there be a Defender Rogue?

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It could even be a spell... LOL

Old fat spider spinning in a tree!
Old fat spider can’t see me!
Attercop! Attercop!
Won't you stop,
Stop your spinning and look for me!

Old Tomnoddy, all big body,
Old Tomnoddy can’t spy me!
Attercop! Attercop!
Down you drop!
You'll never catch me up your tree!

Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me.
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me!

Here am I, naughty little fly;
you are fat and lazy.
You cannot trap me, though you try,
in your cobwebs crazy.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Taunting and Insult has a major history in war craft as a manner to manipulate enemies in that regards I can see it from a Fighter/Rogue/Warlord.

Tony Vargas

Legend
oops wrong thread
That's what you get for talking to yourself. ;P

Rogue had a fair bit of secondary/single-target controller going even in the PH. Mark-and-runaway is a little different from the usual defender dynamic, and strikers have lots of hit-and-run-away tricks, which'd seem to model the same tropes, but with damage substituting for the taunting.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That's what you get for talking to yourself. ;P

If you and Abdul weren't being snoots...
Rogue had a fair bit of secondary/single-target controller going even in the PH. Mark-and-runaway is a little different from the usual defender dynamic, and strikers have lots of hit-and-run-away tricks, which'd seem to model the same tropes, but with damage substituting for the taunting.

When building Frodo/Bilbo... I was constantly trying to find ways to trade striker stuff for control.

I came to the conclusion that a controller would have been a much better translation of the 1e thief with only occasional spikes of damage.

Celebrim

Legend
From my 3.0 edition homebrew:

TAUNT [GENERAL]
Anyone can talk smack, but when you do it, it isn’t lame.
Prerequisite: Chr 13, 4 ranks diplomacy, 4 ranks bluff
Benefits: You can use your voice to your tactical advantage. By making people who dislike you, dislike you even more, you can provoke them to engage in rash behavior. In order to make use of the following benefits, the target of your action must understand the language you are speaking. You cannot taunt a creature without an intelligence score.
“Fight me, you son of a pig!”:You can use your diplomacy skill in place of the disguise skill when engaging in the Distract maneuver. If you succeed you have a +8 circumstance bonus to AC vs. the opponent’s attack rather than the usual +4.
“Hey, Ugly!”: As an immediate reaction on another players turn, you can use your bluff skill to create diversion on behalf of another character who wishes to hide, or you can aid another character’s attempt to create a diversion as a free action.
“My kid sister fights better than you.”: Once per round, as an immediate reaction at the beginning of an opponent’s turn in response to being attacked, you can attempt to enrage any foe so that they unconsciously adopt a reckless fighting style. If you win a Diplomacy skill check vs. your opponent’s Sense Motive check, you force them to fight offensively for that round.
"What are you chicken?”:Once per round, as an immediate action at the beginning of an opponent’s turn, if you have not yet been attacked in the round, you may attempt to provoke an opponent into attacking you. If you win a Diplomacy skill check vs. your opponent’s Sense Motive check, you force them to direct all of their attacks at you for that round. You suffer a -5 penalty on the check if you are not currently threatened by the target, but would be threatened if the target made a 5’ step. You suffer a -10 penalty on the check if the target is currently capable of attacking another character he is hostile to, but must take a move equivalent action attack in order to attack you. You suffer a -15 penalty on the check if the target is currently capable of attacking another character he is hostile to, but must make a charge attack in order to attack you. Finally, you suffer a -20 penalty on the check if the target cannot move so as to attack you this round. If the target both threatens another character he is hostile to and cannot move so as to threaten you, your attempt automatically fails.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
From my 3.0 edition homebrew:

TAUNT [GENERAL]
Anyone can talk smack, but when you do it, it isn’t lame.
Prerequisite: Chr 13, 4 ranks diplomacy, 4 ranks bluff
Benefits: You can use your voice to your tactical advantage. By making people who dislike you, dislike you even more, you can provoke them to engage in rash behavior. In order to make use of the following benefits, the target of your action must understand the language you are speaking. You cannot taunt a creature without an intelligence score.
“Fight me, you son of a pig!”:You can use your diplomacy skill in place of the disguise skill when engaging in the Distract maneuver. If you succeed you have a +8 circumstance bonus to AC vs. the opponent’s attack rather than the usual +4.
“Hey, Ugly!”: As an immediate reaction on another players turn, you can use your bluff skill to create diversion on behalf of another character who wishes to hide, or you can aid another character’s attempt to create a diversion as a free action.
“My kid sister fights better than you.”: Once per round, as an immediate reaction at the beginning of an opponent’s turn in response to being attacked, you can attempt to enrage any foe so that they unconsciously adopt a reckless fighting style. If you win a Diplomacy skill check vs. your opponent’s Sense Motive check, you force them to fight offensively for that round.
"What are you chicken?”:Once per round, as an immediate action at the beginning of an opponent’s turn, if you have not yet been attacked in the round, you may attempt to provoke an opponent into attacking you. If you win a Diplomacy skill check vs. your opponent’s Sense Motive check, you force them to direct all of their attacks at you for that round. You suffer a -5 penalty on the check if you are not currently threatened by the target, but would be threatened if the target made a 5’ step. You suffer a -10 penalty on the check if the target is currently capable of attacking another character he is hostile to, but must take a move equivalent action attack in order to attack you. You suffer a -15 penalty on the check if the target is currently capable of attacking another character he is hostile to, but must make a charge attack in order to attack you. Finally, you suffer a -20 penalty on the check if the target cannot move so as to attack you this round. If the target both threatens another character he is hostile to and cannot move so as to threaten you, your attempt automatically fails.
Now that is pretty complex...
I remember seeing taunting rules long ago (might have been a house rule thing) and thought it might have been in the 2e kits (there was a taunt spell) but since I explored a lot of games it may have been from entirely different sources and I thought it was more like early 80s .

Remove ads