D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Well we now have a hut offered by a tentative ally. It probably won't be great, and we'll have to set a watch, but it seems "long rest appropriate"? :)

Kalorn knows "absorb element" but that only protects him. Are there spells in 5e that would protect multiple party members from cold damage that the party has access to? We could also benefit from mobility spells to counter the dragon's mobility advantage. It's also going to depend a lot if the dragon is alone, or if he has minion monsters - or cultists.

I'm considering not using Armor of Agathys since the cold damage probably won't affect the dragon much - I can use another spell for free to get some temp HP, and then I have an extra spell slot to play with - Hex. Speaking of Hex - what stat should I target on the dragon?

I'll also be able to atune and "switch" to the new sword, which is nice :)

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord really hasn't picked up any truly defensive spells in a while. His main survival skill has been based more in being an effective CC caster with a good DPR capability. Assuming my attack rolls don't suck too hard.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Sesto can also cast Protection from Energy (cold) but it requires concentration, which a lot of cleric spells do. Other spells that could be useful are:
  • Detect Evil & Good: Conc, 10 min, Could be useful before fight to "sense" where the dragon is. Not sure how much ice the "sensing" can penetrate.
  • Protection from Evil & Good: Conc, 10 min, Attacks against protected creature are disadvantaged. Also, Creature can't be charmed or frightened. I think most dragons have a fearful presence.
  • Blindness/Deafness: 1 min, no conc, A blind dragon is good!
  • Bestow Curse: Conc, 1 min, and a Wis saving throw but it is an effective spell, especially if the curse is to miss out on an action.
  • Banishment: Conc, 1 min, and a Cha saving throw.
  • Freedom of Movement: 1 hr, no conc, No difficult terrain and speed can't be reduced by spells, can't be paralysed or restrained. Could be useful in an icy cave. Sesto can use 2x lvl 4 slots for 2 PCs.
So, Sesto has a few options to buff, which might be a better use of spells since the dragon will have a few legendary resistances to shake of the rebuffing spells. It will be difficult.
However, we maybe just need to locate the wizard and get her out of there...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So... I hope everyone has had a good Holiday and is ready to get back to playing. I'd like to pick things up (a bit) from our recent pace - not too much - but if you could find time to post a couple of times a week at least, I'd appreciate it. We'll do our best, anyway, and see how it goes. I hope everyone is with us.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I'm still here, just not playing the most social character. As far as tactics, my grasping arrow will slow down the dragon and cause damage when it moves, unless it blows an acttion to escape.

tglassy

Adventurer
I'm here, now. I have a new job and things so my time isn't as abundant as it once was but I'm going to try to make an effort to get back into the games that are still going on.

Primus is great, but his stuff costs power, and he can blow through his power very quickly, which is why I don't like using them. I feel he's much more reserved than his siblings were. But he has all kinds of control abilities and can resist elemental damager to a certain extent. He can even make himself immune to the cold weather.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I hope that Alhana will forgive Kalorn trying (not greatly) to deflect...

That being said, I'm very glad that I gave him a few non combat spells and invocations...

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
I just need some clarification... Are we staying in the allocated hut or are we moving on to Bonecarver's hut as soon as we can?
If we move to the shaman's hut, will we then continue into the Icy Caves immediately?

Sesto was thinking of casting Guardian of Faith (lasts for 8hr) as protection but it might be a bit too obvious that he doesn't trust the chief... and if they are going to move on shortly it would not be worth it.

Sesto has used 2 of his 2nd lvl spell slots and 2 of his 3rd lvl spell slots. A good nights rest would be nice before getting into the caves but that might not happen if Barking Seal orders Orcaheart to attack.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I would assume that we are staying only long enough for the villagers to go to sleep themselves and moving into the cavern. Save any more spellcastung for the battles ahead. We won't get a long rest in either case as they plan to ambush us.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases