D&D 5E [5e] Relatively new to 5e; advice on charcter build

James Elliott

First Post
Hi All,

First-time poster, long-time reader, as they say. My brother-in-law has asked me to drop in on his new campaign as a filler character while someone else is away caring for their new baby. I did the same for him once before, running a few sessions as a warlock character I came up with that I really enjoyed. I'd like to try this time around as a non-primary spellcaster if I can. To that end, I wanted to try to build a stick-fighter (I study the Filipino martial art eskrima IRL). Backstory/fluff is that he was a former ship's boy castaway who landed on an island that ended up being inhabited by a tribe of elves. The elves took him in, trained him in their ways, and he settled into life with them. However, the island was merely one island in a large archipelago, and a tribal empire came, driven by a primal cult, and forcibly converted my character's adopted tribe to slaves or corpses. Cast out to sea, my character drifted for some time before being picked up by a passing merchant ship and is now recently brought to shore, where he will meet with the adventuring party.

I'm flexible on class, but would really like to make use of the stick-fighting idea. For those not familiar, eskrima involves fighting with one or two sticks (about 20 - 28 inches in length typically, though some styles go up to about 36) and teaches you to make use of them in cuarto (close-in), media (middle), and largo ("long" -- about sword-length) apart. The techniques used for sticks are translatable to knives and swords, either singly or paired. The moves also translate to hand-to-hand and grappling. You can also learn staff, spear, and whip. There's a cool versatile sword called a panabas that the Moros used to use to whack in the conquistadores' heads right through their helmets. But I digress.

Fortunately for me, my DM is super-flexible with re-skinning and homebrewing; I'm not comfortable with 5e enough to "brew," but minor alterations like changing shortswords to blunt damage and then re-skinning them, for example, works fine for all involved. I like the flexibility of fighter, am comfortable with a Revised Ranger, and have no experience with monk but kind of think that may ultimately suit best... I'm also drawn between duelist and TWF fighting styles as what might be most appropriate, but then there's mariner, which fits the RP side of things... So many choices! I'm also fine with multiclassing. I am joining at level 8.

I was thinking variant human or half-elf, for RP reasons (I always go for RP value first). We roll and assign our stats; mine (prior to racial adjustments) are 16, 13, 14, 11, 14, 16. I envision him as lightly-armored to go with the tribal/sea-based origin. If I go for a class that has spellcasting as part of it (e.g. ranger, eldritch knight, etc.) then I plan to re-skin it as tattoo magic (because I still miss my Tattooed Atlantean from Rifts...)

Any advice on the mechanical side of things for 5e would be appreciated. One of the things I'm trying to focus on is if I choose something like quarterstaff and PAM, go with the re-skinning and TWF option, and what that might mean for the future. Thanks!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Welcome James, have some XP.

Great backstory, and with your DM's flexibility reskinning I think we can fit in the cool stick-fighting ideas you have. Well, D&D combat is a little abstract, so close-in vs. "sword length" away we don't model that closely, but we can get enough that you can describe it as you like.

You mentioned a feat, I was wondering what level your character would be. From the description this sounds like you're looking for a short play time - a number of sessions - so you probably need to realize what you can do at that level, not waiting until later to pick up some things.

Well, human (variant) can start with a feat, and neither human nor half-elf scream out as a better fit for what you described both for backstory nor the character. (And with your primary abilities as even, the +1 from either race will not increase your modifier. Not a big deal, you rolled well.)

You level will determine a lot of what you have open, and since it seems you'll only be playing at one specific level (unless I'm wrong), I'd like to know that before making mroe concrete suggestions. But here's a few ways to take this.

At low levels, Fighters are really hard to beat for any kind of front liner. Monks don't have the same resilience nor damage potential at that level, thought they get a free bonus action attack without needing PAM and it gets to add in your ability score without a fighting style. At higher levels, Monks start to get lots of other goodies, and end up being more stun & control then straight damage. Not sure if you've looked at it, but melee rogue also might fit your bill.

If you are below 5th (and not a monk), TWF really gets a chance to shine, with getting twice as many attacks as everyone else. If you do go for PAM you get your ability score to your "other end" attack without a fighting style, and can add duelist to each with a quarterstaff reskinned a bit shorter.

Does eskrima use holds? Because if you go PAM and fight with one single-handed quarterstaff, you have a free hand that could work well for grappling. That would be a STR based build only.

You also have options to go DEX based, needing monk or reskinning a finesse weapon - which would not work with PAM, but DEX is it's own reward.

James Elliott

First Post
Hi Blue, thanks for replying. The group I am subbing in for is level 8. Now that you mention rogue, I am wondering if TWF fighter with a 3-level dip into rogue for swashbuckler might work.

Having not run a martial character — and only about three sessions as a spell caster — my newbie eyes seem to imply that there is not much difference between TWF fighter and monk in terms of basic damage output (minus something like flurry of blows).

Escrima does do grapples (arm locks especially, which are killer when you apply them with the stick) and disarms.

Thanks for your help!

Chryssis

Explorer
Hi James,

What book(s) are available to you?

given your backstory a Swashbuckler (sword coast) could fit nicely with your RP with things like fancy footwork allowing you to be mobile darting in and out of melee range (simulating s-m-l range sword attacks a bit). If Blue's assumption is correct that you will be using the character only for a short while and likely not advancing in level then if you are taking Fighter it could be interesting to take a 1-2 lvl dip in another class depending which archetype you would choose as fighters get their 2nd archetype ability at lvl 7 so you would be weighing a feat vs 1 lvl of another class.

example could be if you can use xgte(xanthars) Samurai6 /war mage2 gives you 1 turn of advantage/5temp hps 3/LR as well as bonus to saving throw or ac when you are hit/fail and intelligence to initiative (+2) 1 spell and 3 cantrips for appropriately themed shenanigans.

to fit more with the stick fighting you could also do Samurai7/cleric1 (nature) for shillelagh (d8 magical wooden weapons) and you get str con and wis saves

if you like the whip (i'm a big fan) then Kensei 5/Samurai 3 is pretty neat, you give up 2 feats vs straight fighter but you get d6 whip plus all the fun monk stuff

If Storm coast is on the table then Swashbuckler5/Monster slayer3 could be fun and fitting

CTurbo

Explorer
I think Monk with a Quarterstaff would work best for you, but a Swashbuckler would be fun too. Check with your DM about letting you get Sneak damage with clubs or staffs first before considering Rogue. I know I would be willing to let you use two clubs reskinned as "sticks" as a Monk and allow the offhand attack as a bonus action in place of the unarmed attack since it'd be the same damage die anyway.

Ranger works well with Rogue or Monk if you want to multiclass or you could go Swashbuckler/Monk too. Swashbucklers want some Charisma though.

Blue

Hi Blue, thanks for replying. The group I am subbing in for is level 8. Now that you mention rogue, I am wondering if TWF fighter with a 3-level dip into rogue for swashbuckler might work.

Having not run a martial character — and only about three sessions as a spell caster — my newbie eyes seem to imply that there is not much difference between TWF fighter and monk in terms of basic damage output (minus something like flurry of blows).

Escrima does do grapples (arm locks especially, which are killer when you apply them with the stick) and disarms.

8th? Okay, that gives us some room to play. Here's a few ideas to flesh out.

(BTW, both human and half-elf have two floating +1 to ability scores. if you go half elf, just add in +2 to CHR as well. And get a lot of elven goodies instead of a feat. Both are solid choices, do whatever feels better except for the few I specifically point out variant human.)

Lightening Stick
Monk (Kensei) 5 / Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3
Lots of attacks. No need for TWF or PAM since Monk gives 1-2 attacks with a bonus action. Swashbuckler for mobility. Stunning blow for crowd control. Note that to deliver Sneak Attack, you need to use a finesse weapon which neither quarterstaff nor unarmed strike is. Would need to reskin a finesse weapon. Luckily Kensei lets you add two weapons to your monk list, so it could be something like the rapier.

The hard crack of wood
Monk (Kensei) 8
Rely more on stunning them then need to use rogue swashbuckler. More Ki points and mid-level monk features. Has the advantage of a 2nd ASI, so can get DEX to 20 unliek the other monk builds.
Racial to DEX & WIS. 4th to DEX 8th to DEX.
S * D 20 C 14 I * W 18 C *
(* can be 14, 13 or 11)
3-4 attacks at +5 to hit, doing d6+5 damage. Stunning blow. Counts as magic. Spend 1 ki on a hit to do +d6 damage (probably better to reserve ki for stunning blow)
AC 19, +2 if you make an unarmed attack during the round.
+10 speed. Deflect missiles, slow fall, evasion, stillness of mind.
If go human variant, can pick up Mobile for the same things Swashbuckler would give you. But with 8 ki per short rest, I'd expect you to be stunning foes a lot, and they can't do opportunity attacks. Oh, and you and your allies have advantage on attacks against them. So do this often. You have the move to get around to casters and the like as well.

Martial Artist
Monk (Kensei) 6 / Fighter 2
Using a single weapon, going for duelist fighting style for +2 to every attack EXCEPT flurry of blows, and monks get a lot of attacks.
Racial to Dex and Wis, 4th ASI to Dex and Wis.
S 13 D 18 C 14 I 11 W 18 Ch 14
(Rearrange S, I, Ch, with at least 13 Str for multiclassing)
AC 18, +2 if you make at least one unarmed attack per round (Kensei)
Quarterstaff attacks are d6+6, unarmed ar d6+4. Get 3 attack base at +4, or with ki for flury get 4 attacks, but 2 must be unarmed.
High WIS makes good at stunning.
If go human variant, can pick up Mobile for the same things Swashbuckler would give you.

Two Stick
Human (variant) Fighter 8
Human for Dual Wielder Feat, which is not the strongest feat. Two weapon fighting style. Reskin rapiers as eskrima sticks. Racial to DEX and CON. 4th ASI to DEX 7 CON. 6th to DEX. 8th is free. Lots of fighter features.
Three attacks, each +5 to hit and doing d8+5.
AC 18 (studded leather + dex + Dual Wielder)
Left the subclass blank, depending on the flavor. Samurai (XGtE) and Battlemaster won't let you down, but there are other good choices.

Medium armored Striker & Grappler
Human(v) Fighter 8. Human for PAM (used w/ 1h Quarterstaff). Racial to STR and CON. 4th ASI to STR & CON. 6th to STR. 8th for Grappler. Duelist fighting style.
S 20 D 14 CON 18 I 11 W 14 Ch 13
AC 17 in half plate (might be too heavy for what you were envisioning) - technically you have a hand free for a shield but that doesn't fit the image, so we'll use it for grappling.
Gobs of HPs with 18 CON and fighter HD.
Makes 3 attacks a round (2 base + 1 bonus PAM) plus additional triggers for reaction attacks, at +5 to hit doing d6+7/d6+7/d4+7 damage. Can give up attacks to grapple. Picked up Grappler feat though it's not necessary - if going grappling rogue (or bard) is nice for expertise to athletics, but rogue didn't fit well with PAM. Mobile might work better to dash in and out.
Same comment for fighter subclass as above.

I think of all of these, I think the pure monk one might be my favorite that meets your theme. The last one is well built with lots of flexibility, but uses medium armor.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The hard crack of wood
Monk (Kensei) 8
Rely more on stunning them then need to use rogue swashbuckler. More Ki points and mid-level monk features. Has the advantage of a 2nd ASI, so can get DEX to 20 unliek the other monk builds.
Racial to DEX & WIS. 4th to DEX 8th to DEX.
S * D 20 C 14 I * W 18 C *
(* can be 14, 13 or 11)
3-4 attacks at +5 to hit, doing d6+5 damage. Stunning blow. Counts as magic. Spend 1 ki on a hit to do +d6 damage (probably better to reserve ki for stunning blow)
AC 19, +2 if you make an unarmed attack during the round.
+10 speed. Deflect missiles, slow fall, evasion, stillness of mind.
If go human variant, can pick up Mobile for the same things Swashbuckler would give you. But with 8 ki per short rest, I'd expect you to be stunning foes a lot, and they can't do opportunity attacks. Oh, and you and your allies have advantage on attacks against them. So do this often. You have the move to get around to casters and the like as well.
Yeah, I like the monk one a whole lot for "castaway island guy with sticks", being unarmored definitely fits better with the image you're presenting. Reskin rapier or short sword to "fighting sticks", maybe grab longbow as your other kensei weapon (reflective of elven upbringing, and it never hurts to have a good ranged option). Dex/Wis at 4, Dex at 8 to get Dex 20 and Wis 18. Fantastic AC and overall defense, good offensive versatility but not super high damage means you'll fit into every group composition without looking overpowered.

Blue

Yeah, I like the monk one a whole lot for "castaway island guy with sticks", being unarmored definitely fits better with the image you're presenting. Reskin rapier or short sword to "fighting sticks", maybe grab longbow as your other kensei weapon (reflective of elven upbringing, and it never hurts to have a good ranged option). Dex/Wis at 4, Dex at 8 to get Dex 20 and Wis 18. Fantastic AC and overall defense, good offensive versatility but not super high damage means you'll fit into every group composition without looking overpowered.

That last point you make is pretty important. I've also found that characters that help make others shine are rarely considered overpowered because they are good at sharing the spotlight. Monk's Stunning Strike definitely fits into that category, allowing the others to (also) get Advantage to hit and deliver their big attacks on a critical foe.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That last point you make is pretty important. I've also found that characters that help make others shine are rarely considered overpowered because they are good at sharing the spotlight. Monk's Stunning Strike definitely fits into that category, allowing the others to (also) get Advantage to hit and deliver their big attacks on a critical foe.
Yep. 30+ damage hits with GWM draw attention, preventing damage and giving advantage to the rest of the party much less so. Being solid without being overly flashy in a new (to you) group is almost always a good idea for making good impressions.

If you want to be flashy as a monk, randomly jump off 100' ledges just because you can. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases