The Next Dungeons & Dragons Storyline Will Be...

And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist! The plot will focus on an urban treasure hunt and a focus on urban and city-based adventures with special rules for running games in that environment. The adventure itself will have variable goals and antagonists similar to the original I6: Ravenloft module, where the DM chooses what "villain" will be the secret villain of the campaign, which will change outcomes of various events. The adventure itself will also have downtime built into the adventure along with the ability to own property in Waterdeep. The adventure for Level 1-5 will be released on September 18, 2018, with an MSRP of $49.95.

A second announcement is anticipated later this weekend, as the product codenamed "Catacombs" has a release date of November 20 and is also a 256-page hardcover book. This would make Waterdeep: Dragon Heist the codename "Broadway" (which also had a custom dice release announced for solicitation last year with the other products, including "Marathon" which turned out to be Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes).

Wizards of the coast made the announcement as part of a weekend-long live streaming event on their Twitch channel, "Stream of Many Eyes". Other products announced during the live stream include updates to the Neverwinter MMO and its Barovia expansion, a new official history artbook about Dungeons & Dragons with images throughout the history of the game, and a new series of boxed sets with props and handouts for published adventures released so far as well as for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

This article will be updated with more information as the Wizards of the Coast live stream continues.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Abstruse

Legend
Who is the main author on DH?
"Wizards RPG Team"

I don't believe we'll see the actual credits until the book comes out or the credits page is released. But it's been announced that Matt Mercer, James Introcaso, and James Haeck all served as freelancers working on it.

GarrettKP

Explorer
For those wondering the cover seems to show the following villains:

Manshoon and the Zhentarim

Jarlaxle and Bregan D’aerthe

Xanathar and the Xanathar Guild

The Moonstar family and the Dark Army of the Night (Perkins has been making a big deal about Shar and her cult in DCA)

Staffan

Legend
Reminds me of Paizo with their obsession with the Inner Sea area of their world. They had about 4-5 APs set in Verisia alone. Though WotC focuses on a smaller portion, the Sword Coast. It gets annoying. There's more to Faerun than the Sword Coast.

You do realize that the Sword Coast is about a third the size of the continental United States, right? Basically, draw a line from Chicago to New Orleans, and everything east of that - that's about as big as the area from Luskan to the Cloud Peaks and west of Anauroch and the Sunset Mountains. Another comparison of roughly the same size would be Europe north of Spain/Italy, south of the Baltic Sea, and west of the eastern border of Poland.

Sure, there's more to the Realms than the Sword Coast, but the Sword Coast is big. It's also an area that's been surprisingly lightly covered before 5e, at least the parts south of Waterdeep (the region that used to be called the Western Heartlands) - basically the only source was the actual campaign setting and Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abstruse

Legend
Anyone know when gale force nine will be on the stream? Want to see their new miniatures. They are scheduled but can't find when

They're not on the schedule that I can find (no product announcements are scheduled and when I asked officially if they would be announcing any other products, the only response given was "Maybe ;)", which...I have thoughts about responding to a press inquiry that way that I'll keep to myself for now), and they did most of their tie-in promotion yesterday announcing new material for the MMO, mobile game, and the "feelies" boxed sets for the published adventures.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases