The fighter class in 1 page

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, its highly condensed. I'd note that things like RoS, CaGI, and other 'signature' fighter moves simply cannot be built this way. I think that in play you will find this fighter design will be very close in feel and effect to the Slayer and the Knight. Not in any sense bad, but neither outstanding.

That HAS to be fixed before this is even considered....

A variant of CaGI has elements I have considered very valuable for Rogue (patterned after a Zorro move actually where a multitude of enemies are proned in their attempts to get the rogue ) or a Warlord (where taunting ie moving many enemies at once to put them in a bad spot).

I do think Taunting needs to be a staple of the battle field

With any 'analysis paralysis' build-your-own system, I suggest what we did with Elements of Magic. You get a set of signature moves that you've practiced, which you can change if you spend {{insert time here}}. Those you can do as a normal action. If you want anything not on that list, add on an extra cost. For spells, we made it take two rounds to cast, so you'd almost never bother in combat.

For a fighting maneuver, I'd say using a non-signature move would require one round to look for the right opening, and then you could use the maneuver the next round. Basically, you can say on your turn, "I'm looking for an opening," and you have a few seconds at the start of your next turn to decide on what move to use. If you couldn't figure out what to do in the intervening time between turns, you either need to use a signature move, or wait another turn. (Which is almost certainly a bad idea.)

Right. Now, I would argue that 4e does this by giving you Page 42. Essentially you can either carry out a practiced move by using a power, or you can extemporize by doing something unscripted. Instead of a time penalty there is a potential reduction in effectiveness (4e is actually a bit vague here, Page 42 doesn't adequately explain what happens if someone essentially tries to 'invent their own power'). I think they didn't really think of it in the terms you're outlining here, instead they were thinking more in terms of situations where an obvious opening exists, but no power covers the situation. Some of this is later subsumed under Terrain Powers in DMG2, though few encounter designers seem to have really used them much.

That HAS to be fixed before this is even considered....

A variant of CaGI has elements I have considered very valuable for Rogue (patterned after a Zorro move actually where a multitude of enemies are proned in their attempts to get the rogue ) or a Warlord (where taunting ie moving many enemies at once to put them in a bad spot).

I do think Taunting needs to be a staple of the battle field

Right. Rogues do have 'Bowl Over' (I think that's the name, its the power where you can basically toss one enemy into a group of other ones and knock them all down, I had a player who LOVED to have his halfling rogue use this, and then sort of challenge me to explain how it worked for him, which I always did by making up something ridiculous).

Rogues and Bards could certainly use a good set of Taunt powers. I guess they do have some.

As for the whole 'you get a reward for using your selected powers', that might not be a BAD idea.

So, maybe in HoML you would be able to use powers in your list that you didn't select (power lists are a merge of the lists for all boons you have in effect).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right. Rogues do have 'Bowl Over' (I think that's the name, its the power where you can basically toss one enemy into a group of other ones and knock them all down, I had a player who LOVED to have his halfling rogue use this, and then sort of challenge me to explain how it worked for him, which I always did by making up something ridiculous).

Mine I called falling all over themselves and requires more than 1 enemy, would work fine for that halfling of course
in effect they interfere with one another and fall down.

Mine I called falling all over themselves and requires more than 1 enemy, would work fine for that halfling of course
in effect they interfere with one another and fall down.

That's what Bowl Over does. You push one enemy and every opponent adjacent to where he 'lands' falls over (including the guy you pushed). Its pretty much classical physical comedy type stuff. I guess you could also flavor it like Irish Tall Tales as well...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Some of this is later subsumed under Terrain Powers in DMG2, though few encounter designers seem to have really used them much.

Those to me are for VERY situational things and yes explicitly an OBVIOUS opening already exists. I wish those were almost always included so I had more reason to buy adventures ;) LOL

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That's what Bowl Over does. You push one enemy and every opponent adjacent to where he 'lands' falls over (including the guy you pushed). Its pretty much classical physical comedy type stuff. I guess you could also flavor it like Irish Tall Tales as well...

The difference is ofcourse with falling all over themselves they come running to you it is a different power in flavor at minimum, heck the bowling sounds like a warlord wanting the enemy downed near his ally instead of himself.

Remove ads