The final word on DPR, feats and class balance

Tony Vargas

Legend
Tortoise, meet hare. A fighter isn't the flashiest class, but round-in-round-out they do a decent amount of damage. It will probably vary by campaign but in the campaigns I've been involved in we were never guaranteed a 15 minute work day. So when the orcs are still pounding on the door and the wizard is down to cantrips, they're still slogging slaying away.
That's always been the logic. The caster makes his best contribution at the most important time, as the player judges it ("decides when to be awesome"). The fighter makes the same contribution, round after round, punctuated by the occassional crit ("awesome at random"), waiting for the day the party will be doing so badly that his DPR grinding will be appreciated...

...and that passes for 'balance.'

In addition, there's a fair amount of flexibility and utility depending on your build, especially if you allow feats.
I try not to allow feats if I can possibly avoid it (I have to, technically, when running AL, but I'll always offer pregens without 'em). ;|

But with or without feats, the fighter has the same flexibility & utility from his feats & backgrounds as anyone else with the same feat or background. Sure, at 6th he has one /more/ feat, it's true - it's also used to explain why the fighter is OK for flexiblity & utility, /and/ why he's 'best at fighting,' and how he can cover a bad saves, and be OK in exploration, and OK in social... each of those things may be true of some fighter, in some campaign, who used his one extra feat that way. ;|

Besides, even though I'm a veteran player (aka old) there are times when I just want to shut off my brain, swing a sword and eat some popcorn. Fighters are great for that.
Not untrue, but left unsaid is that they're very nearly the only such option, and not so great for most other things.

Last edited:

Smarmot

Explorer
Okay, this is really long so I only read a fraction of this thread but this is the way I see things.

Ancient red dragons have more than 88 hp these days so the fighters AND the warlocks need to do more damage. GWM and SS only really start to become effective when players can increase their base accuracy enough to compensate (ie higher levels.) If the strikers aren't dealing butt loads of damage the combat is going to be a slog once you reach mid -high level.

Those orcs are supposed to be one shotted. The action surging high level fighter may indeed take down a tough opponent in one round. Don't nerf anything unless you enjoy combats that last an entire session.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm frankly baffled how anyone can think that fighters are the DPS king of the fighty types. Every other class will outshine a fighter wihin its own niche. Rangers out damage all but the most twinked out fighters at range, barbarians out damage the two weapon fighters, and a sword and board fighter can't hold a candle to a paladin.

So, the sorcerer is out DPRing the fighter? Who cares? So is everyone else. Why shouldn't they get in on the action.

Well, that changes once the fighter gets his third attack.

... buuut that's at level 11 and we know that the majority of play seems to be in the 4-10 range, so that really doesn't make it for me.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
let me see. this past week:

1.) found the sword of destiny
2.) discovered the evil duke’s plans and turned his troops against him
3.) saved the princess
4.) turned out she was a doppleganger that tricked us into being sold to ilithids
5.) escaped from slavery from the mindflayers with the real princess
6.) negotiated safe passage from the beholders by telling them where the mindflayers
were hiding and that we were going to stop them from secretly controlling
a barony with dopplegangers
7.) turned out the duke was a good guy and replaced by a doppleganger too
8.) negotiated with a hag coven to fight dopplegangers. betrayed by coven
they were helping rhe dopplegangers all along. although once they found
out abour the mindflayers they switched back to our side (i think)
9.) crap the blue dragon wants his sword back. i found it in his lair fair and square.

nope. i do not find d&d 5E boring.

CapnZapp

Legend
Since you decided to use thread necromancy on this thread, let me remind everyone who did or did not call the game boring. Hint: it isn't me. :)

So let me also take this opportunity to repost my initial post. Do note I don't mention say anything is "boring".
There's way too many threads and retreads about this subject.

Let me once and for all state the beef about all of this.

In the beginning there is the fighting man, doing 1d8+5 with his sword once per round (and more often at higher levels).

This is the baseline I feel monsters are built for.

This is also my ideal game. No matter your archetype, you will deal comparable damage. If you give up a shield, you gain an appropriate damage bonus. This might be upping the damage die to d12 (which really is 2 less AC for 2 more damage). It might mean slightly more than that. It does not mean upping your damage maximum by 10 and getting pretty frequent bonus attacks.

If you are a frail combatant you are compensated. Either by getting relatively few big-punch actions (ie spells), or getting more damage (to explain why the party lets in a weak chain; ie rogues)

Fighting with a sickle, two clubs, a halberd... it's mostly a fashion statement. Sure historically better weapons could give you a slight nod, but not so much that players feel they have to stick with only a few weapons. If a "good" weapon gives you a point extra damage over a "cool" weapon, that's enough to flag real life. Much more than that, and you're asking cool concepts to sacrifice basic utility just for show.

---

Problem #1 is, any group of reasonably experienced D&D gamers create characters with MUCH more damage than that.

The 5th edition PHB is MUCH more generous with various goodies that allow PCs to run circles around monsters and play with them.

Problem #2 is, there exists far too many archetypes that can't do much more damage than that.

Problem #1 means that in any game with feats, multiclassing and magic items monsters (especially at high levels) stop working as listed, requiring DMs to tweak them or outright replace them. I'm sick and tired of not being able to just pull out a stock monster and use it as-is with zero prep, just because my players aren't newbie carebears that are content with not using the options in the PHB!

Problem #2 means that loads of cool archetypes gets thrown by the wayside simply because it is no fun to be half as effective as the other guy, and some notion of "realism" told the designers only some archetypes get to be effective. Guy with greatsword, okay. Gal with throwing knives, fuggedaboudit.

---

The deep flaws does not end there.

Even if we say "no feats" the problems do not disappear.

Warlocks and Sorcerers can do MUCH more damage (than 1d8+5 per attack, and one attack per tier).

I'm not talking about area attacks or save-or-suck spells. Those are, after all, quite limited in numbers.

I'm talking about Eldritch Blast. (For instance, limit Agonizing Blast to 30 ft!) I'm talking about twinned Fire Bolt.

A Dragon Sorcerer isn't that much more frail (and definitely not nearly as frail as a land druid or wizard or lore bard), and can twin Fire Bolt all day, converting most of her considerable spell slots into sorcery points for metamagic (and keeping some slots for Shield etc).

At HUGE ranges.

---

The despairing realization is that feats are NEEDED for martials to keep up.

I would never play a regular fighter in a feat-less game, when I could do just as much or even more damage with cantrip classes.

The problem with "feats are needed" is of course that this leaves a lot of archetypes in the dust.

For example, there is NO feat to up the damage of Rogues. Only greatweapons, polearms, and for some reason hand crossbows.

I would much more prefer it if EVERY high level fighter dealt frightening amounts of damage, even when they attack you with a spoon.

And, in order for monster stat blocks to keep working, that "frightening damage" was not significantly more than 1d12+5 per attack.

---

Saying "no feats in my game" doesn't work, not unless you ban cantrips too.

You can't just nerf feats like GWM, since that does nothing for the cantrips.

I'm getting the impression the whole edition is helplessly lopsided and that there is no easy fix :(

I'm getting the sinking feeling that in order to achieve a balanced edition, most if not all of the below is needed:

* nerf or re-price feats
(The other option, adding feats for underutilized concepts does not work since the maximum DPR is far too high for the Monster Manual as it is. If a greatsword no longer does MUCH more damage than throwing axes or a spear maybe these options will actually see use by DPR-sensitive players)
* nerf cantrips (with or without feats). Thankfully this is only warlock blast and sorcerer twinning, afaik.
* nerf ranged attacks more than melee ones. Thrown attacks can be treated as melee ones.
* start player characters with lower scores
(PCs vastly outcompete monsters on ability/skill checks including save DCs)
I'm thinking replacing the "elite array" (old terminology for 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) with the "non-elite" one: 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 (and if rolling; straight 3d6).
If the distance to 20 becomes greater, feats become more expensive.
By lowering each attribute by one on average, this means lowering hit points by 10 at level 10. Also good.
* regulate long rests ie remove the players' power to decide for themselves when and where to rest; in order to reinstate the challenge level of the game. (Since the alternative is to always consider a challenging fight in isolation)

It's a tall order.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I’m torn here. Most of the time I’m DMing. Cantrips are used often and they are good. I lose a sense that anyone ever needs to conserve power. If you do run out of spells one of two things happen. You either rest and get spells back or you continue blasting and only lag behind the fighter a little even though you got to outshine him in every fight so far. Then by your presence (or your request) you dictate the time to rest and begin the process of outshining over again.

I have run about half a dozen campaigns in 5e and seen exactly one fighter.

I’m torn because as a player I would want to use cantrips often. I would use them because they are that good. That and there’s no real drain on resources.

Dausuul

Legend
wow. must have been late night dream surfing. no idea i necro’d a thread this old sorry.
Don't feel bad, there's another thread on the front page right now that was just necroed from 2014.

But you get extra points for necroing a thread that was titled "The final word." :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases