ZEITGEIST Just finished to run my Zeigeist campaing and.... (minor spoilers inside)

It was a blast! The final encounter was a bit to long but the ending was SO epic. The spirit medium in our group summoned the spirit of the fallen Borne to deliver the final crushing blow to Nicodemus. Amazing.

I can say that's the best ever printed D&D campaign and has some of the best adventures I have ran or played.

Talking with my players there's a general consensus that the first adventures were the best ones, particularly "Always on Time", we all believed that one was the best.

On the other hand there was a little decrease in the quality of the last adventures and plots, Gorged on Ruins was particularly weak. The general issue was related to the epic level problem, the switch from a spy-like, investigation campaign to a one focused on dealing with super powerful treats was hard.

Anyway, I want to thank Ryan and the rest of zeitgeist creators for all the fun and hours of entertainment those years. You are great!

kcannell

Explorer
Glad you guys had fun! My group is finishing up Gorged on Ruins now. These later adventures have been really good for us, but my players' characters have a lot of tie-ins with the Clergy, Heid Eschatologists, and a severe hatred of the Gidim.

What planar configuration did your group go with for the Axis Seal ritual?

Congratulations! How long did you take to run the game? Which edition? Any favorite encounters, NPCs?

Who were the PCs?

I'll admit, I came up a little short on spy missions when the party is mechanically capable of killing dragons and just using magic to solve most mysteries. I'd hoped I'd handled the transition from servants of the king to mythic heroes, but I can see the style clash could be odd.

Well my group was also pretty scared of the Gidim, in fact the main reason why several members of the group didn't end in the Obscurati was the Ob didn't care much about shielding the world from "extraterrestrial/planar" invasions.

About the configuration, they were VERY conservative, the player who was king of Risur was an old school deva (anti tech and fierce enemy of Danor) who wanted everything to be same. But in the end some good negotiations from Pemberton and the pressure of other group members made him accept some changes.

So, in the end the world was

AIR - Baden the Ghost moon (so flight would be easier on full moon nights)
FIRE - Jiese
EARTH - Urim
WATER - Mavisha
TIME - Ascetia (they didn't want prophecy to be that strong)
LIFE - Av
SPACE - Apet
DEATH -Avilona

Congratulations! How long did you take to run the game? Which edition? Any favorite encounters, NPCs?

Who were the PCs?

I'll admit, I came up a little short on spy missions when the party is mechanically capable of killing dragons and just using magic to solve most mysteries. I'd hoped I'd handled the transition from servants of the king to mythic heroes, but I can see the style clash could be odd.

We started to run the campaign as soon as it was released and we usually played 2 o 3 times a month. Not sure how long has it taken, 5 years? We used the 4th edition and my group agreed it a perfect system for this kind of campaign (we never understood the criticism to 4th edition, I always believed the "failure" of 4th ed. was the lack of an early OGL and good adventures like Zeitgeist)

Favourite encounters? well, the encounter with the obscurati at the train station at the end of "Always in time" when Lya Jierre appeared and the duel it followed was remarkable. In fact all the duels against Lya and her vorpal swords where pretty scary for my PCs. Also, the fight against Leone Quital at the train station with train wagons crashing all around where great.

About the NPCs, my group fell in love with the guys from "La Agencia" that's El Extraño and the kobold from Ber. What a bunch of great scenes!

Lya Jierre almost convinced two players that the whole colossus thing was an arm race from Danor to match the power of Risur titans (Mutual assured destruction doctrine it is)

Pemberton was another great NPC changing from a menace (and the source of one of the best quotes from the game, when the group discovered it was A DRAGON! they contacted Delft with the news and the possibility of a pact only to get this official answer "Risur doesn't negotiate with Dragons") to a "trusted" ally.

Ashima Shimtu was quite interesting to play also. (as you can see my group is quite fond of dubious characters)

One NPC of notice was Grappa, the lich stealing ritual of adventure 7 arose lots of suspicions from my players. I almost ended the campaign making the final villain Grappa possessing the body of Nicodemus (In the end Nic was an idealist and Grappa realises the only way for the ob to succeed was to ensure the Colossus or Clockwork plan went into motion)

The group was composed of

Human ranger gunslinger with a jaguar pet
Half-elf sorcerer spirit medium
Eladrin warlord vekeshi mystic (died with the fall of triegenes)
Deva sword mage, yerasol veteran (ended being the king of Risur)
Human brawler warrior, technologist

Remove ads