WotBS WotBS advice needed (SPOILERS galore)

New creation. Bring some special magic rocks with you, then when you get where you're going carve a nice little column, slot the rocks in, do some hand wobbling, and boom, teleportation beacon.

Lylandra

Adventurer
The adventure states that the Ragesians set it up underneath Seaquen, so I always assumed they brought it with them and activated it (it is 1 foot by 6 feet, so it is likely possible to break down into smaller pieces to transport it).

There is also one in chapter 5 when they teleport to Ostalin, but I always assumed that the Ragesians invented it and maybe traded it to Ostalin (or they stole the secret). Lyceum doesn't have one or know about them before the PCs find it, so it is reasonable to assume that it is a Ragesian invention.

And I always though that it was created in Ostalin, then introduced to the Ragesians by Lee Sidoneth :D

(but honestly, this and the Burning Sky are nifty in-universe methods of preventing players from teleporting everywhere)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I portrayed the Ostalin teleportation beacon as their own creation, in response to the development of Ragesia's beacons. The Ragesians did it first, but then the other major powers all scrambled to develop their own as well. An arms race, of sorts.

Would have liked more detail about the beacons. I'm just lucky, none of my players ever asked about making one (helps that their base of operations is already protected by one I guess) nor about trying to transport it. I think I made the beacons larger and less apparently easy to disassemble and move. Implying that the Ragesians had been in Seaquen for some time with Lee helping them out.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I portrayed the Ostalin teleportation beacon as their own creation, in response to the development of Ragesia's beacons. The Ragesians did it first, but then the other major powers all scrambled to develop their own as well. An arms race, of sorts.

Would have liked more detail about the beacons. I'm just lucky, none of my players ever asked about making one (helps that their base of operations is already protected by one I guess) nor about trying to transport it. I think I made the beacons larger and less apparently easy to disassemble and move. Implying that the Ragesians had been in Seaquen for some time with Lee helping them out.

This is similar to how I view the competing beacons. Like various iterations of the automobile, powered flight, and other inventions came out at similar times and, in some cases, cause disagreement over who did something first.

A 6 cu. ft. pillar like described in the adventures would weigh close to 600 pounds. I figure the Ragesians had developed the technology recently. When Seaquen put out its call to build the resistance in December, the Ragesians launched their plan. The moved a beacon west out to their coast and sailed it around the coast in a ship disguised as a merchant trader. The Ragesians knew about the tomb's location and decided that it would make a good place to set up their base. The time to set everything up is why things don't come to a head until February.

Meanwhile, Ostalin, either through espionage or a certain level of magical research becoming available in the world, completes their first teleportation anchor.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yeah, I never went to that level of detail about how it all happened, but that sounds like a good detailed analysis of what I had in mind.

EDIT: One added benefit of this approach was the assumptions it leads to about the other major powers, especially Shahalesti. Without me saying anything more on the matter, the players assumed Shaaladel had developed the technology as well. (If it had come up, I did plan to have it be the case, but I never had to verify it to them in game)

trencher7

Explorer
Short update:

We played last saturday. the Elves took over Seaquen. My Players were not happy with this but they knew that as long as everybody from the council is presumed dead they had no other choice than to accept it. One Player especially tried everything to prevent the Elves from taking over by interrupting the council meeting where Shalosha pronounced Admiral Telshanth the new leader. The player tried to find able citizens to constitute a new council but unfortunately in vain.
So they weren´t too unhappy when they were assigned the diplomatic mission to Bresk. They met with Balan, he told them everything they needed to know about Dassen´s moved history on the way and we ended when they got to know that the King´s Family got murdered the other day.
So it seems that we are more or less back on track. :)

P.S. Are there any news when adventure 4 will be available for 5e?

trencher7

Explorer
The journey continues.
We played through more or less the first half of Adventure 4. Being able to now use Tomryr´s 5e version really helps a lot. So thanks for that.
It all went more or less according to plan. the group stayed in the Golden Griffon Inn and prepared for the audience with King Steppengard. One of my players who left the group a couple of months ago for working reasons asked whether he could return now that he´s got more spare time again and he took the role of Balan Bastom which fit quite nicely.
They went to the palace in order to see whether the audience will still be granted despite the killing of the King´s family they also wanted to take a look at the Book of Eight Lands. The rest of the day they spent buying clothes for the audience and preparing a present for the King to show their condolescences. The audience went exactly as described in the adventure and the group hastily left the palace. They now thought that they were supposed to solve the murder mystery and started investigating but they soon got the impression that it will not be possible in the three days granted by the King and with no proper way to get in the palace in order to further investigate. So they decided to go north to Duke Gallo to seek some help and to fight back the Ragesian invasion. Before that one player sent Nina Glibglammer a message asking for her help in that matter and she just sent a message back that only Gallo could help them. I thought that appropriate giving the fact that Madness/ Nina wants the Characters to go there. After the group got the message they left Bresk asap, so there was no mysterious warning and no attack by Pixis.
Being followed by Steppengard´s soldiers they met with Commander Hertiage and after it was clear that the group would not return to Bresk, Steppengard´s soldiers went back to report.
Gallo welcomed the group told them about what´s happening at the moment and the next day he sent them on the mission through the Alydi Gap to see what happened to the outpost. They reached the outpost in the late evening. While scouting they made out the Wyvernrider which took off the outpost and decided to lure him into a fight. They very cleverly forced the Wyvern to crash down and were able to catch the rider Stonum badly hurt but alive. While they retreated with their prisoner the other Ragesians started to chase them. That´s where we called it a day.

So, you see, we are back on track after some starting difficulties.:)
What´s great is that they slowly seem to accept their role as part of the resistance. I think this might be because they had to prepare for the audience and while they were not successful it made them realize a couple of important things about their role in all this.

Of course I won´t end this post without a question...
While driving home one of my players said that he still doesn´t know about the Ragesian motivations in all this. I reread the campaign guide and the last chapters of the campaign itself but to be honest I also still don´t know about it.
You know, in my setting the Elves controlling Seaquen will ask the group to go to the Monastery of the Two Winds and next to Castle Korstull to retrieve the Torch but sooner or later my group wants to know what the Ragesians and especially Leska is up to. So maybe you can enlighten me what it means when in the campaign guide it says "Finally, Supreme Inquisitor Leska must be defeated before she dooms the world to eternal war"

Thanks in advance!

Lylandra

Adventurer
Hah, they didn't suspect Nina was up to something? She'd have an easy time swaying the King and the proxies against the party after they left then ( "See, they immediately left for Gallo's lands. They must be in league with that traitor")

Regarding the Ragesians... most of them don't know either. They are used to war, so they do what they're told and right now anyone could have killed poor Coaltongue.

What Leska's most inner circle knows is that she's abducting mages to fuel a device called Koren Obelisk, which isn't fully functional yet. Once it is ready, that device will allow the Ragesians to project and amplify their magic anywhere. So kind of like the Torch, but with magic. Or like a miniature Death Star.

This way, Leska hopes to dominate the continent. And that's what will be revealed once the Shahalesti (in your case) decipher the tome that was stolen from Kreven (one member of said inner circle and husband of Koren, a wayfarer after whom the obelisk was named).

Her "endgame" where she's trying to plunge the world in eternal war in adventure 12 is kind of her last resort and no one will know about that plan till it is too late.

So if you wish, you can give them smaller clues about the Ob... err that sounds wrong... the Obelisk should they decide to ask whoever is trying to hack the Rag code. I did that with my group and gave them the name Koren (Sheena threw quite the tantrum) and the idea of harnessing magical energy.

trencher7

Explorer
Hah, they didn't suspect Nina was up to something? She'd have an easy time swaying the King and the proxies against the party after they left then ( "See, they immediately left for Gallo's lands. They must be in league with that traitor")

Well, of course they suspected Nina in the first place, especially when Relder starts to appear confused and starts babbling about secret meetings, poison, etc. But the author did a wonderful job when Nina herself says that the suspect appears to have been "confused" what instantly made her at least in the eyes of my players, appear as an honest person...

Remove ads