Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!
if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

lkj

Hero
There's also no doubt that he's absolutely trolling or teasing.

Same with the constant mentions of Spelljammer.

It makes me think they are going to throw out something for all the settings. Otherwise, if there is no Spelljammer and no Eberron material, he's just actively made two whole groups of fans really angry. So, how do you not give away the surprise while still dropping hints for a couple of settings? You produce material for all the settings.

Of course, in that scenario, you get a primer for each setting and only one or two get full treatment.

But then if he knows that I know that he knows that I know that he knows . . .

AD

Mercule

Adventurer
So, I totally understand why the printed product is important to you. And it's totally within your rights to say that if they aren't going to have a printed product that you consider that insufficient support.

But, given that-- Hypothetically, what if they wrote fully fleshed out, fully vetted campaign setting books with all the bells and whistles but decided that the only way to make that financially viable was to release them as digital products. Say for example their market analysis suggested not enough people would buy the books to make actual printing profitable. Or that it will confuse their market strategy or whatever (say by splitting or confusing newbies). So, instead, they release it digitally, knowing that their harder core users get what they want and that they can still keep their strategy intact.

For the record-- I don't think they'd go this route because the design effort would probably be too high to justify the work if it wasn't leading to a printed product. But I can see gradations along a spectrum toward that end. I mean, 'punting to Keith' could also be-- Pay Keith as a freelancer to do an official sourcebook on DM's Guild and have it go through the same vetting as the rest of their products. Which is different than just letting Keith publish stuff on his own.

Anyway, just curious, since I see a wider gradation of possible outcomes between 'printed product' and 'crappy digital throwaway'
Oh, there's definitely a gamut. Hopefully, my understanding of that basic fact is clear from the ways I've responded, in this thread. There's a minimum level of "real" support. The specific options I've given aren't the only possibilities -- just the ones I've thought of. As much as I'd love to see a full, 256+ page ECS 5E, I totally see why they wouldn't, especially if current printing costs would push that up to a $75 (or more) book, which sounds possible. Also, as much as I'd love one for Eberron, and would probably pay $75 for it, I don't actually need it. In fact, too much of a full ECS 5E would be just another opportunity for "drift", which seem to happen every time a setting gets reprinted. I've come to actually believe that the best option for setting support is a SCAG-length book that gives the setting-specific mechanics necessary to play in the world and enough of an overview to whet the appetite of the uninitiated to go to DM's Guild for third-party support or find the old books (including at the DM's Guild). I'm not a Realms fan, so I have no opinion on whether the SCAG served those basic functions for the Realms and people just expected something different or if the book didn't even do that.

I will say that one of the basic criteria for "support" -- and why the print product is so essential to it -- is that I want players new to D&D with 5E to have a clearly visible alternative to the Realms as a published setting. Some of this bias is, absolutely, because I loathe the Realms. I will totally own that. But, I also think it's bad for the game to be too tightly coupled to any one setting. The biggest benefit D&D provides, IMO, is the battery of ready-made stuff (monsters, spells, etc.) that can be quickly and easily recombined to make a new setting, tailored to a group's tastes. That can totally include grabbing a published setting and go.

The D&D system actually isn't that great. Class and level based characters just suck. You can somewhat redeem classes by turning them into a starting package of some sort (see Genesys), but the gigantic blocks of level-based rewards is horrible. It's only benefit is in the simplicity and ease of use. As long as you keep your customization inside the given box, all is good. This applies for GMing, too, with the selection of monsters and magic items available without work. If you don't fit in the box, things get pretty dicey. Long term, tying D&D to the Realms means it becomes just another setting-specific RPG, like Shadowrun, Vampire, Exalted, etc. Rarely does someone take the time to decouple systems from they're settings. So, when people tire of the Realms, they'll abandon the system.

I'm definitely not begging for the setting glut of the 1990s. We don't need 873 region and race books for each of three dozen settings. But, I think having 2-3, maybe 4, settings on the shelves would actually help the game, not hurt it, especially if the settings weren't just 3 different takes on vanilla fantasy. I don't think there's any good reason to publish Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Mystara, etc. because they really would just compete with the Realms. Eberron is probably about as close as you would want to get. Dark Sun is the other obvious legacy property that stands out as "different, but relatable". Planescape and/or Spelljammer could be sold as "optional expansions" to the Realms or their own stand-alone settings. Neither is my cup-o-tea, but I don't necessarily bear either any ill will, either.

One thought on "pure digital" did occur to me. Since DDB is the official online support for 5E rules, and they actually aren't offering (much) non-official material, a digital-only product that was sold on DDB in a way that was indistinguishable from a print product would probably work. Buying habits are changing and, someday, the web will replace the FLGS for discovering new official products. I don't think we're there, yet, which is why I think a print product on store shelves is a requirement for anything but "punt", but I could be convinced that DDB is approaching that tipping point -- or, at least is close enough for a compromise. Better yet, promote it there and co-launch it on DM's Guild, with print-on-demand.

Doing an Eberron book as a PDF downloadable from the WotC site would just come off too much like an over-sized UA offering, regardless of layout, images, etc. I don't even like launching it solely (or primarily) as DM's Guild because it's too easy to miss or lose stuff, there.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
These kind of teasers, while intriguing at first, actually wear me out.

So, hopefully I'll hear something after the 23rd, until then...I'm tired....

Look at what Nathan (from D&D’s fireside chat) posted today! Eberron book in the background. Spoilers for what is to come the 23rd? I sure hope so!

Notice that it is on a computer screen? Makes me think these new releases will be D&D Beyond exclusives. Also, DDB adds all the UA content after it releases, and the next UA is delayed to the same date of July 23.

Mercurius

Legend
I agree with [MENTION=18646]lkj[/MENTION] that at this point they almost "have to" release a capstone like product offers access to a bunch of setttings. This is why I think a Spelljammer-Planescape is the most likely offering. Imagine a book that covers SJ/PS, details Sigil, then has overviews of a few major settings.

They can then release fuller treatments of specific settings later on.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if we see nothing more than the "Planejammer" book, and then DM's Guild opened up and/or licensing of settings to trusted companies. I don't see what WotC loses if they do something like they did with Dragonlance with Margaret Weis in 3.x days.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads